Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping

init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping
LuckyJack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2000, 04:13 PM

Hm. No login, but in verbose mode I get the following error flashed on the screen:

Sept 29 15:25:17 init:getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping

I can boot fine into single-user mode (I thought I could only get read-only access until [duh] I realized I was forgetting the final slash on 'mount -uw /' ), but don't know what to change.

smorr
Sep 30, 2000, 12:59 AM

I seem to be getting the same thing... but single user mode lands me nowhere. will keep trying.

smorr
Sep 30, 2000, 01:16 AM

Just curious. what are you running?

I have a G4/400 AGP with the stock keyboard. I've tried both a MS intellimouse explorer and the dread hockey puck. I've unplugged all other usb peripherals. Still doesn't boot

For others reading this, OS X installed fine. It boots up to just past were it checks drives, initializes application services etc. but doesn't get to the login screen. Verbose mode shows the getty repeating too quickly on port dev/console message.

Scott

LuckyJack  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2000, 03:32 AM

I'm running a Powerbook (firewire).

Reading the man page for init tells me that the error message is standard when a system is quitting as quickly as it starts. I don't know what that means, and /etc/gettytab doesn't help me much.

I have been booting just fine until now. Hm.

I tried to install again over the top, but the installer won't do it. So it looks like I'll have to initalize and re-install. Tomorrow. Unless some white knight explains how to fix the getty error on /dev/console.

Help?

Bogartte
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2000, 04:29 AM

I've posted this elsewhere, but yes, I also have found the "init: ...repeating to quickly on port/dev/console/sleeping" thing!! Installation went fine on my new G4/400, and initializes then freezes with the so-called "Blue screen of death". I never got to the setup Assistant.
I've tried partitioning and non-partitioning, and all the various configurations. Same thing. What gives?

lukefowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2000, 08:31 PM

I also am having the same problem. It started doing this right away after I installed.

My config is as follows:

B&W G3/450
128MB RAM
Factory 9GB U2W SCSI Drive
21" Multi-Sync Hewlett Packard Monitor
Apple Extended II ADB Keyboard
Kensington TurboBall USB trackball.

Forum Links
Forum Rules