Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures]

E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures] (Page 6)
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
One thing I didn't like about the PSP video was that half of it was cutscenes.
proof?

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 10:23 PM

All yah DS bashers have no imagination. Yeah, the second screen can be a map screen. It can also be a second POV (like rearview mirrors for a driving game). The coolest part, though, is the touch sensitivity. That makes the thing infinitely adaptable in terms of control possibilities. For instance, the Metroid game, if done right, has the potential to rival PC FPSes. Menu driven RPGs can go *much* faster. The chat software that enables (with the picture drawing) has the potential to be extremely popular. I really, *really* like that one. It has the remote possibility of catching on among scientists and mathematicians, believe it or not, if they make it simple and quick enough. The ability to draw equations and diagrams would be invaluable in saving time hunting for paper or the nearest chalkboard. This is also predicated on drawing speed and resolution...

Anyway, back to the main point - the touch screen presents an infinitely adaptable controller as well as the "secondary screen." I honestly hope that the next gen consoles have touch screens in their controllers.

I do admit that the industrial design could use some work, though.

I still have my doubts about the PSP. That battery life is going to be highly dependent on how disc intensive the game being played is. Also, expect the screen to get nice and scratched up quickly.

This cheap bastard (yes, I do not own an iPod, and won't until it's cheaper and supports Vorbis - probably never) also likes the price point of the DS better.

BlackGriffen

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 10:36 PM

My God those DS games look HORRIBLE! Everyone joked that the second screen would just end up being a map but fanboys swore it would be innovative. In every game shown it is a overhead map. Stupid.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by One40 by Fourty:
My God those DS games look HORRIBLE! Everyone joked that the second screen would just end up being a map but fanboys swore it would be innovative. In every game shown it is a overhead map. Stupid.
Please refrain from posting bashing post. Either have an intelligent discussion or shut up.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Please refrain from posting bashing post. Either have an intelligent discussion or shut up.
[/discussing like an adult]
i think he raises a very valid point, and i don't see him as really bashing.

i also do not see the innovation in the second screen in ANY of these games.
thats NOT to say that in the future tendo and the other developers won't think of something creative, but i find it very poor that Nintendo demoed games that featured what alot of us thought and some tendo fans feared...a lacklister use of the second screen (aka a map).

[/discuss like adult]

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 10:51 PM

the reason why the second screen so far is only for a map, it seems, is because they are multiple player games. And we have not seen Final Versions of these games.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2004, 10:51 PM

I've gotten along just fine without a second screen, second monitor, second TV.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2004, 10:52 PM

I must admit that I would have rather seen a new GameBoy with the same features as the DS, sans the second screen. Maybe then it would look a little better.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
bashing? It is totally valid who the hell needs the map all the time to play mario 64. Even Mario cart I don't know anyone who can take the eye off the screen to look at the corner of the same screen to see if a turn is coming nevermind ANOTHER screen.

This is the joke everyone was making the day this thing was announced.

Nintendo also said "this will not be a A button B pushing experience but something totally different". HOW? Because of a touchscreen and you can point where you want to shoot. Picture yourself doing that with metroid. Or you can talk to it "Samus, get the hell out of dodge, byatch!". "Pokemon, take a picture" Common.

WATCH that PSP demo you posted then any of the DS ones, the DS ones look like a baby toy.

The second screen is coming of like that episode of the Simpsons with the Malibu stacy Doll. They tried to distract the release of a competing doll by introducing the "new and improved" doll. All they did was added a hat and all the fangirls fought over getting it.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:03 PM

(image taken from other place)

Funny

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by starman:
Here's my problem with the DS:

Nintendo's in a hole. They can't figure out how to do things right with one screen, so they make two.

And the hole gets deeper....

Mike
[/QUOTE

(sarcasm)hehehee so true. theyre just like that other company that built an all-in-one computers with that contraption called a mouse. they couldnt make it work with a keyboard so they threw some extra hardware at the problem. when will people see that innovation is actually doing thigs the way they have been done in the past? (/sarcasm)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:16 PM

(even more sarcasm)yeah no kidding. it's like those hippies at Apple trying to sell crappy hardware in fruit colored enclosures. my gawd what were they thinking ?.... i thought they were innovative.Well i better get back in line now before i start doing thinngs DIFFERENTLY .(end of even more sarcasm)

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I've gotten along just fine without a second screen, second monitor, second TV.

Mike
"640 k ought to be enough for anyone". Heh

Some more cool control ideas: diffusing a bomb (props a guy over at Ars OF), making your own football plays (instead of just selecting), making battle plans for an RTS.

Sweeeeeetness.

BG

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 11:22 PM

Quit making the "ds is like Apple or computers" or I will have to remind you when Netscape had 90% of the market and now 2%.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
"640 k ought to be enough for anyone".
Bill Gates never said that.

He did say that no one would need multitasking because all they would use it for was background printing, which could already be done in DOS.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2004, 11:44 PM

I'm excited to see what developers do with the DS.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:47 PM

Quit making the "ds is like Apple or computers" or I will have to remind you when Netscape had 90% of the market and now 2%.
Nintendo is taking risks, Sony with the PSP is followig in their footsteps. JUst like Microsoft follows in Apple's. Think Differently. that dosent mean.... "my computer is 3Ghs therefore it's better than your 1Ghz" (ala...the PSP can push more polygons)... it's the experience, and thats what nintendo is catering to with voice recognition and a touch screen, as opposed to ...."lets just bef it up and sell it at a loss to do away with competition". it's preety obvious who's doing things differently, whos taking the risks.....it's the same people who invented the friggon industry. preety similar to Apple if you look at the underlying philosophies.

Just cause Netscape sits at 2%, that dosent make IE any better... kinda like with Apple's market share eh ? same thing...think about it.

And you DS-dissers are complaining about how Nintendo didnt change the interface....what is the PSP doing differently as far as interface goes ? touch screen ? voice recognition ? thought so.

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I'm excited to see what developers do with the DS.
It is scary that Nintendo the inventors of the system can't come with ONE good idea to show the developers and buyers to wet their whistle.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:50 PM

Kudos to Nintendo for trying to innovate, I'm just not convinced it's a very good idea. PSP looks much more interesting to me.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2004, 11:52 PM

Myself, I'm not buying the DS or the PSP, but if I had to, I would buy the DS all the way.

First off, the baby mario thing was a demo. Its not an actual game, it most likely will never be released. Get over it.

Second, the DS has a much better lineup than the PSP, not to mention is GameBoy compatible. It has 802.11 for online play, and voice chat. It has a version of Metroid Prime, Mario 64, and Mario Kart. Tons of 3rd party developers are also signing on. Games are also on flash memory (smaller carts than the Game Boy), and not scratchable DVD's (which is a horrible idea for a portable system).

With the DS cheaper the PSP looks dead already.

Nintendo has already warned the case design is not final and to expect changes.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:53 PM

It is scary that Nintendo the inventors of the system can't come with ONE good idea to show the developers and buyers to wet their whistle.
Ca$h, everyone already know that you dislike everything Nintendo. No need to push it even more farther.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 11:54 PM

here's why i wont buy a PSP. i think it's great for games, dont get me wrong. But i dont want to pay a couple of extra hundred dollars for the ability to watch movies or listen to music. features id probably never use, but end up paying for. if it were a pure portable gaming console, id buy it.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2004, 11:55 PM

Scary? What?

Nintendo showed of the DS's functionality and graphical capabilities, along with a few gameplay concepts. Nintendo was supposed to come up with the gameplay concepts for the developers? Are you just whining to whine?

Over 100 developers have kits. I'm thinking something will come of that.

And it's "forty," by the way.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2004, 11:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Here's my problem with the DS:

Nintendo's in a hole. They can't figure out how to do things right with one screen, so they make two.

Mike
[/QUOTE

(sarcasm)hehehee so true. theyre just like that other company that built an all-in-one computers with that contraption called a mouse. they couldnt make it work with a keyboard so they threw some extra hardware at the problem. when will people see that innovation is actually doing thigs the way they have been done in the past? (/sarcasm)
Worst. Analogy. Ever.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:00 AM

Mike
I like the idea more of a portable n64. A lot of n64 games were really really good. The other screenies on the DS didn't look that good, but the MarioKart one looked great, and the Mario64 one looked ok.

Zelda 64 on DS would kick a**.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Nintendo is taking risks, Sony with the PSP is followig in their footsteps. JUst like Microsoft follows in Apple's. Think Differently. that dosent mean.... "my computer is 3Ghs therefore it's better than your 1Ghz" (ala...the PSP can push more polygons)... it's the experience, and thats what nintendo is catering to with voice recognition and a touch screen, as opposed to ...."lets just bef it up and sell it at a loss to do away with competition". it's preety obvious who's doing things differently, whos taking the risks.....it's the same people who invented the friggon industry. preety similar to Apple if you look at the underlying philosophies.
How bout "."lets just add a second screen we don't know what to do with to do away with competition".

People NO NOT want to use the gameboy Advance to connect to the gamecube for a Map or any other idea they have come up with. Developers also have not touched it.

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 12:07 AM

Scary? What?

Nintendo showed of the DS's functionality and graphical capabilities, along with a few gameplay concepts. Nintendo was supposed to come up with the gameplay concepts for the developers? Are you just whining to whine?
Characteristically Nintendo develops for themselves and come up with the best way to use the hardware just like the Nintendo advance. If Nintendo can't come up with one good idea for that second screen for the first impression they are screwed.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
here's why i wont buy a PSP. i think it's great for games, dont get me wrong. But i dont want to pay a couple of extra hundred dollars for the ability to watch movies or listen to music. features id probably never use, but end up paying for. if it were a pure portable gaming console, id buy it.
I can respect that, might hold me up too. Playing movies doesn't sound too bad tho. If PSP is well over $200, I may just buy a DS instead, but I doubt I'll buy both so I'll have to decide...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:09 AM

Oh, OK. So you're whining out of your ass instead of just talking out of it. Execellent.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:10 AM

How bout "."lets just add a second screen we don't know what to do with to do away with competition".
Sony doesn't understand to build more advanced games you are going to need a second screen.

One reason I didn't joy playing MarioKart for the GBA is the screen is cramped. I can't see the track layout.

With the second screen, they can have a whole second screen dedicated to that track layout.

Really. I wouldn't want to play PS games on a handheld. It would suck. Nintendo has the right idea. Adapt the games to use a second screen so the user can actually : gasp : see what they're doing!

Traditionally, handhelds that have tried to compete with Nintendo on graphics met a painful death. I should know, I owned a Game Gear when they were new. It sucked badly, ate batteries to no end, and the games sucked. Sure, the graphics beat my original Game Boy, but everything else about it sucked. My next handheld was a GBC.

With handhelds, its not the graphics, its the games. Sony doesn't understand this because on consoles, its the opposite for most people. They're different markets.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
With handhelds, its not the graphics, its the games. Sony doesn't understand this because on consoles, its the opposite for most people. They're different markets.
Funny, I thought that was exactly the lesson Sony taught Nintendo back in the 32 bit days. Sony had the games, Nintendo just had prettier graphics.

I wouldn't write Sony's obituary in portable gaming yet. Sega, Atari, etc were no strangers to botching gaming platforms. Sony seems to know what it's doing.

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 12:13 AM

Nintendo has the right idea. Adapt the games to use a second screen so the user can actually : gasp : see what they're doing!
Ya in the 15 years of gameboy the #1 complaint is "I can't see what I am doing".

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:18 AM

Ya in the 15 years of gameboy the #1 complaint is "I can't see what I am doing".
Source? Got a link to those poll numbers? Or is this just more whine?

Here's some cheese to go with that whine.

Good thing the number one complaint didn't affect sales much, huh?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 12:19 AM

Did Demonhood ban all of Star Wars Guy's Star Wars names or is One40 by Fourty his more trollish than usual user name?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 12:19 AM

Source? Got a link to those poll numbers? Or is this just more whine?
Not so good with the sarcasm are we?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 12:21 AM

Sony doesn't understand to build more advanced games you are going to need a second screen.

One reason I didn't joy playing MarioKart for the GBA is the screen is cramped. I can't see the track layout.

With the second screen, they can have a whole second screen dedicated to that track layout.

Wrong.

When I'm driving, either in real life or in a game, I don't want to take my eye off the road. Having a second screen, I GUARANTEE YOU, is going to be more of a distraction than an asset. In 25 years of gaming, NOT ONCE did I feel the need for a second screen. A BIGGER screen, yes, but you can't directly compare two screens to one larger one. Sony went widescreen. Good for them. They get it.

Mike

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
Did Demonhood ban all of Star Wars Guy's Star Wars names or is One40 by Fourty his more trollish than usual user name?
An opinion of a product different then yours is NOT trolling. It is an opinion.

Do I call anyone with a bad opinion of something I like a troll?

So far Mindfad is the one with the "whine and cheese" and namecalling. That is trolling.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
Funny, I thought that was exactly the lesson Sony taught Nintendo back in the 32 bit days. Sony had the games, Nintendo just had prettier graphics.

I wouldn't write Sony's obituary in portable gaming yet. Sega, Atari, etc were no strangers to botching gaming platforms. Sony seems to know what it's doing.
Game Boy vs. Game Gear
SNES vs. Genesis

Both classic cases of Nintendos games prevailing.

I think PS won because it was cheaper (another thing the DS has going for it). Cartridges cost way too much.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:23 AM

Not so good with the sarcasm are we?
Hey, I'm not the one whining about stupid ****, talking out of my ass, and portraying the childish image you're trying to avoid in the first place. I can afford to be just average with the sarcasm. You've already lost at the Internet.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:25 AM

Wrong.

When I'm driving, either in real life or in a game, I don't want to take my eye off the road. Having a second screen, I GUARANTEE YOU, is going to be more of a distraction than an asset. In 25 years of gaming, NOT ONCE did I feel the need for a second screen. A BIGGER screen, yes, but you can't directly compare two screens to one larger one. Sony went widescreen. Good for them. They get it.

Mike
When I'm driving, I take my eyes of the road all the time. My car has something called a dash board. It's usually a good idea to look at the dash board every once in a while.

The DS is gaming with a dashboard.

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 12:26 AM

Hey, I'm not the one whining about stupid ****, talking out of my ass, and portraying the childish image you're trying to avoid in the first place. I can afford to be just average with the sarcasm. You've already lost at the Internet.
Saying a second screen for a Map is useless is talking out my ass? Name calling, whine and cheese and "you lost the internet" is the childness you are speaking of.

Give me a good reason for that second screen and swear you like the gameboy advance hookup in Zelda. It was even useless in Metroid other then to unlock a suit.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 12:27 AM

Game Boy vs. Game Gear
SNES vs. Genesis

Both classic cases of Nintendos games prevailing.

I think PS won because it was cheaper (another thing the DS has going for it). Cartridges cost way too much.
Sony's Playstation was revolutionary. First the name is genius. People seem to forget that, or overlook it. Second, it had BETTER GAMES. Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot, Gran Tourismo, etc. Nintendo had NOTHING to compete against the PS with. Hell, even the commercials for the games were better. It got more people to actually want, no, NEED to have the games.

I still have a collection of PS1 games which I'll never get rid of.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 12:28 AM

When I'm driving, I take my eyes of the road all the time. My car has something called a dash board. It's usually a good idea to look at the dash board every once in a while.

The DS is gaming with a dashboard.
My dashboard doesn't have a MAP on it.

Mike

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:29 AM

Give me a good reason for that second screen and swear you like the gameboy advance hookup in Zelda. It was even useless in Metroid other then to unlock a suit.
Whats with the GBA->GC link? It has nothing to do with the DS...

I don't see how the GBA link issues make the DS any worse. It looks pretty much to be its own thing.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 12:29 AM

Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 12:30 AM

My dashboard doesn't have a MAP on it.

Mike
A lot of newer cars have dashboards with maps in them if you haven't noticed.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 12:30 AM

A lot of newer cars have dashboards with maps in them if you haven't noticed.
I did notice. My new Trailblazer had that option. I didn't get it because I DON'T NEED IT.

Mike

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 12:31 AM

Whats with the GBA->GC link? It has nothing to do with the DS...

I don't see how the GBA link issues make the DS any worse. It looks pretty much to be its own thing.
Because it is used for MAPS and that is all the genius they came up with. Nobody wants it, nobody develops for it.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
Some concept DS games:

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_software.jsp
None of those screenshots (excuse me...DUALscreenshots) really show anything innovative, or anything that couldn't be in a corner of one screen.

Mike

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 12:34 AM

sooo your saying in five/six years, a company will have to make a system that has three screens to advance even further? since thats what people want apparently..."Advanced games"

where does it stop? come one now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules