Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Does a Dual 800 use both processors with FCP 4?

Does a Dual 800 use both processors with FCP 4?
daydream
May 16, 2004, 05:58 PM

Does a Dual 800 use both processors with FCP 4?

I canít remember were I heard it yet I do recall that the QuickSilver Dual 800 would be the same almost as a G4 733 except a little faster when coming to FCP.

Any truth to this one or is it rumor mill stuff?

Link
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 06:04 PM

No the second processor goes out to lunch and takes a break.

No really, it should be used on (at least) the OS X versions. As I recall, OS X was still so new there was no X version of FCP, and while I *THOUGHT* the OS 9 version of FCP utilized DP machines, maybe I was wrong there.

Either way, having a dual processor machine should give you an ENORMOUS advantage, especially 2*800 over a single 733.. Worse yet a 733 quicksilver.

Whoever said that a dual 800 QS is not noticably faster than a 733 QS was smoking something strong. The 733 QS had no cache, etc.. oh man where to start with that
Aloha

daydream  (op)
May 16, 2004, 06:12 PM

Love the first part of your answer, as to what they were on well, that's another story.

So, I should go ahead and use the Dual for the video-editing project instead of the 733? Reason the question is I would be giving up my Dual to use the 733 for the duration of the video editing project.

Link
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 06:18 PM

Yes, please use the dual..

The question is why would you NOT want to anyway? Even if it only used a single processor you'd have the boost of the onboard 2mb cache and extra 67mhz
Aloha

daydream  (op)
May 16, 2004, 06:30 PM

Yeah! Good call. Bummer is while the others are using the 800 I would get the 733 for my house so I just would not be able to use the 800.

The film has to go on, the final answer I knew it's just that I avoided.

By the way thanks for the quick responses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules