Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Considering the Dual 1.8 G5...

Considering the Dual 1.8 G5...
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 05:29 PM

Like many here, I'm considering upgrading to a G5. My current machine (MDD Dual 867) has caused nothing but problems. You can find some of those posts in this forum.

I figure, instead of spending a lot of money on fixing it (out of warranty, no apple care - d'oh), I might as well buy a new machine. What a wonderful excuse to upgrade to a G5!

My question though, is with the upcoming "refresh" in a month and a half at WWDC (we expect anyways), what would happen to the value of the Dual 1.8 G5? I can get it at the education discount of $2399 or $1999 for a refurb off the website. Will that price drop significantly enough for me to hold off until the end of June?

As it is now, I don't *need* a mac, I have a PC right here that does the job for now. My main uses for a mac are the typical web stuff with some web development and some games. I would, however, spend a lot of time in DVD Studio Pro and FCP if I had a superdrive.

So, do you think it's worth the wait?

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2004, 12:35 AM

Is the Dual 867 still in working order? If so, definitely wait. I really really wanted to wait until the rev came out but that was back in April and I was upgrading from a Cube 450/PBG4 800 combo. So I ended up buying a dual 2GHz.

Don't forget even though they may be announced at WWDC, they probably won't ship for another month or 3! But if I were you and the Dual 867 were working well enough, I'd have an easier time waiting until July.

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 01:51 AM

As of writing this post, the G4 does not boot and it's at the Apple store being looked at. Both the genius and I believe it's the logic board, but we'll see.

I agree, I'd rather just wait and see, no harm can come of it. However, I'm a bit torn because I don't need something faster than the dual 1.8 yet I don't want to buy it now then be able to get it for $400 cheaper come july 1st.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 06:09 AM

The price of a dual 1.8 would drop a little, but we have no evidence how soon after WWDC the new machines, if announced at all, will ship.

There could be a 6-8 week easily.

I was in the same position as you, and bought a Dual 1.8. I have not looked back... it is an awesome machine, and well worth it at the moment.

If you 'can' wait, wait. But it could be a good while before you receive the new machine...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 07:29 AM

I'm hoping with the refresh, that the 1.8 would take the 1.6's place and the 2.0 would be "demoted" in price. If they lowered the 2.0 to the 1.8's price I'd probably jump on it. Its tough waiting though another month arrrghhh

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 10:08 AM

I know, it's so tough to wait!

I'm not going to purchase anything until I hear back from the apple store on my G4. If it needs a new logic board or processor then forget it. I'll just hang onto the machine for a bit until I have the money to fix it after my G5 purchase.

It would be awesome if the Dual 1.8 took the place of the 1.6, but are we so sure that Apple would make their low end a dual? They could keep the 1.6 or make the low end a single 1.8 and have 4 machines like they used to have with the G4's.

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 11:02 AM

I am in the same boat. My beige G3 is just not cutting it. However, I am holding out so I can get something faster that will last longer. If you need it now, get it, otherwise wait for the new systems!

emark
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 02:24 PM

I'd keep an eye on the refurbs...all G5s are in stock as of this morning...and if they sell out, they will come back again...just be patient.

A dual 1.8 looks good at that price, but will be lower of course (goes for refurbs too) when the next gen ships, so by all means, wait since you have other computers.

If it's not bootable, watch ebay for a few days and see whether parting it out or selling "as is" would be better....though I guess that means you know what is the bad part. sorry to hear of your luck with it, that can be soooooo frustrating.

The refurbs save even more, but have the same warranty as new...tough to loose.

And, lastly, don't think that apple care is the answer. especailly for desk tops, if it works the first year as it should, unless you drop it or do something bone-headed, your usually ahead not to spend for the extended care....of course individual's vary 100%, (either yes good, or no bad) but the average user is better not to drop the money on the warranty... which is why for-profit companies sell them...

good luck

It's fun to get in early, but you're too close to not get the performance/stability enhanced rev. b, or enjoy more savings on rev. a......

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2004, 02:55 PM

I just got the dp1.8 using the $700 off the memory promo, hard to beat and the 1.8 is the biggest bang for the buck anyway.

When they come out with a faster one next week, next month or in 4 months it will not cause mine to slow down one bit.

aehaas

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 12:27 PM

I love my DP1.8. But if I were you right now I'd wait!!!

edit: (whoa, it has rhythm and rhymes!)
Be happy.

teknik
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 02:25 AM

I just got back dual 1.8 and I LOVE IT!

Get it now, and don't look back. Apple will likely unveil new G5's next month at WWDC, but knowing Apple they wont ship until the end of August, even later for EDU purchases

Forum Links
Forum Rules