Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What Fixes can you do while in Safe Mode?

What Fixes can you do while in Safe Mode?
bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 05:19 PM

Hello ...

I'm just wondering the extent to which you can use the computer while it's booted in safe mode.

If you are troubleshooting, can you or should you repair permissions in this state ... can you download and install applications ...(not updates).

Can you or should you trash troublesome prefs and such .. move files etc?

Is Safe Mode strictly used to boot into and then after it's loaded .. to exit

I am aware of the apple document ... but it doesn't contain any of this kind of info
Apple-What is Safe Boot Mode?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107392

Thanks for any replies ...
Tiger 10.4.8

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by bergy
Hello ...

I'm just wondering the extent to which you can use the computer while it's booted in safe mode.

If you are troubleshooting, can you or should you repair permissions in this state ... can you download and install applications ...(not updates).

Can you or should you trash troublesome prefs and such .. move files etc?

Is Safe Mode strictly used to boot into and then after it's loaded .. to exit

I am aware of the apple document ... but it doesn't contain any of this kind of info
Apple-What is Safe Boot Mode?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107392

Thanks for any replies ...
Good questions. I just read about AppleJack(http://applejack.sourceforge.net/) and it shows some things you can do in single user mode. I am sure there are commands for everything the program does, but someone else will have to shed more light for me.
iMac G5 20'' 250GB, 2GB RAM OS X Server 10.4.8
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2005, 07:21 PM

Theoretically, you can do anything in Safe Mode that you could do normally. The only real difference is that third-party extensions (such as drivers) that you've installed will be temporarily disabled.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

papplegate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Theoretically, you can do anything in Safe Mode that you could do normally. The only real difference is that third-party extensions (such as drivers) that you've installed will be temporarily disabled.
So any terminal commands will work in safe mode? That is good to know. I have not had to use it yet.
iMac G5 20'' 250GB, 2GB RAM OS X Server 10.4.8
MacBook Pro C2D 3GB RAM

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
As taken from the above linked Apple KBase article:

"Safe Mode can be useful for troubleshooting. However, certain Mac OS X features do not work when you are started up in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, use an AirPort card, use some audio input or output devices, or use an internal or external USB modem."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2005, 07:45 PM

Certain utilities such as hdiutil (mounting disk images) and diskutil (mounting/unmounting/ejecting disks, enabling/disabling journaling, verifying/repairing the disk, erasing/zeroing disks, repairing permissions, basically all the stuff that Disk Utility does) do not work from Single User mode but will hang, giving the extremely unhelpful Carbon Lazy Values error which tells you absolutely *nothing* about what's going on. To get these utilities to work, you need to run these commands first:

/usr/libexec/register_mach_bootstrap_servers /etc/mach_init.d
/sbin/SystemStarter start SecurityServer

edit: never mind! I thought you said "single-user mode", not Safe Mode. My bad...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules