Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how do i bring down menus without mouse?

how do i bring down menus without mouse?
Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 03:51 PM

If the start key on PC's pulls up the start menu, how come the apple key does not bring down the apple menu? Or am I doing something wrong?

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 03:57 PM

in the Finder desktop, command+up arrow brings up a new window at your home directory level. command+down arrow opens whatever icon is currently selected. when you click on a menu, you can let go and navigate with the arrow keys. that's all I know.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 03:57 PM

Go to "System Preferences" and click on "Keyboard & Mouse", then click on "Keyboard Shortcuts". At the bottom you will see a check box for "Turn on full keyboard access" - click it.

drive-thru
Senior User
Jan 6, 2005, 04:01 PM

The Apple key (Command) is mainly used for shortcuts, Cmd-Q will Quit the current application, Cmd-C is Copy, Cmd-V is Paste etc.

If you want to bring down the apple menu press Ctrl-F2. Make sure you have the relevant options enabled in System Preferences>Keyboard & Mourse>Keyboard Shortcuts, there are quite a few navigational shortcuts listed there.

The Start menu on XP is usually where you start if you want to make a new document or open an application. The Apple Menu doesn't really have the same function, if you want to open an app you click it's icon in the dock.
If you drag your Applications folder into the right hand side of the dock, next to the trash, then you can click and hold (or right-click) the icon and the list of all your Applications will come up, allowing you to open any app. Or you can simply drag the apps you use into the dock and have instant access to them from there.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Mr Kino:
If the start key on PC's pulls up the start menu, how come the apple key does not bring down the apple menu? Or am I doing something wrong?
i think microsoft did that because they could not think of any good reasons for having a windows key on the keyboard.
i wonder how many windows users actually know of the windows key uses? like windows+e for explorer, win+d for deskop. i can't remember any others anymore.

but yeah, apple menu is not the same as the start menu. i suggest going to macupdate.com and getting launchbar, or quicksilver (if you do not want to pay for shareware). it will make launching apps (and other goodies) a lot easier.

Mr Kino  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 04:18 PM

Thank you.

by the way, on my iBooks, to bring down the apple menu its ctlr+fn+F2 key. I would think it is the same with powerbooks.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2005, 04:38 PM

Thank you.

by the way, on my iBooks, to bring down the apple menu its ctlr+fn+F2 key. I would think it is the same with powerbooks.
Ctrl+F2 opens the menu ONLY if you have the "Focus on Menu" keyboard shortcut enabled (checked) in the Keyboard & Mouse Control panel (under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab).

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 06:11 PM

Thank you.

It is the same on my PB. always sorta bugged me I could never make the F keys work without Fn, and the volume/screen keys require fn.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure there's a way to do this, I've just never looked into it.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

hayesk
Jan 6, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Avenir:
It is the same on my PB. always sorta bugged me I could never make the F keys work without Fn, and the volume/screen keys require fn.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure there's a way to do this, I've just never looked into it.
System Prefs: Keyboard and Mouse: that big checkbox in the centre of the pane.

*I don't think that setting shows up on desktop Macs.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
System Prefs: Keyboard and Mouse: that big checkbox in the centre of the pane.

*I don't think that setting shows up on desktop Macs.
No way. The Apple Reseller I used to work for would fire me for this pitiful lack of knowledge. I really need to explore this amazing computer more. Will check my laptop when I get home (there's nothing on this desktop showing up)

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Forum Links
Forum Rules