Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4.8

iTunes 4.8 (Page 3)
Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 09:52 PM

This thing is a WRECK.

Whenever I play a song, it stops after the first song and produces a dialog box:

"Searching for Movie Data in Track 7". (huh? There is no freaking Track 7 in my library).
If you click "Stop" (which is the only option), a dialog that says "the movie file "Track 7"
cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly" and you get "cancel"
and "search" buttons.

Issue: I'M NOT PLAYING A FREAKING MOVIE!

Selecting "cancel" allows the next track to start playing but before
too long it starts the process again on "Searching for movie data in "Track 6".
It infuriates me because I have no tracks titled "Track 7" or "Track 6".

Cancelling that starts it searching for "Track 3". It also doesn't exist yet selecting
cancel starts the whole tedious process all over again making iTunes essentially
WORTHLESS for what I use it for, which is to LISTEN TO MUSIC not watching videos.

Often I listen to music while doing other things.

I even unchecked "play videos" in the advanced preferences selection but the damn
thing keeps doing it over and over and over again.

Ideas? Help!

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 10:05 PM

I think I fixed it.

I trashed iTunes and reinstalled.

Seems to have corrected it.

Update: Nope, still doing the annoying searches for nonexistent tracks that may or may
not have movie data.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; May 10, 2005 at 10:06 PM. Reason: I was wrong...)

ender2002
Senior User
May 10, 2005, 10:53 PM

I cant watch ANY videos. Im not a subscriber to the service. WTF is wrong?

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 11:11 PM

I gave up.

Fixing permissions didn't help.

I copied the 4.71 from my wife's iTunes to my own machine bringing
sanity and useability back. Annoying.

Maybe there will be an update.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by funkboy
The Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc" EP has 4 (FOUR!) videos that come with it - 99 cents for the song *and* 4 videos!
Grr! Not in the UK

I wouldn't be so annoyed if I hadn't just bought the Gorillaz EP in a post-iTunes 4.8 mini-consumer-frenzy.

willed
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 04:30 AM

Typical And Gorillaz are from the UK too aren't they? Damon Albarn et al?

Apple have some serious work to do on this POS before it's useful for playing video. I can't even play videos smoothly on my iBook 500 - videos which play fine in QT Player.

porieux
Baninated
May 11, 2005, 05:20 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:48 AM. )

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
For those who have problems getting iTunes 4.8 through software update:

Did you do an archive and install of Tiger? Your receipt for iTunes would have been deleted.
My PB is still using 10.3.9 and iTunes 4.8 is not showing up in SU at the moment

“Building Better Worlds”

JLL
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 08:28 AM

iTunes updates usually show up i SU a couple of days after they are available on Apple's site.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

drive-thru
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by One2meny
Anybody notice how iTunes starts opening up on its own when you visit certain web-sites? Go check out http://www.newgrounds.com

Anytime I visit that site, iTunes 4.8 loads up and goes to the Music Store. Real pain in the butt. Haven't had it happen with any other web-site yet...yet.
My iTunes 4.8 doesn't open when I visit that site, but it does open by itself every 2-3 minutes, even when I'm not using the computer. It doesn't go to the iTMS, it just opens to the Library and also stays in the background.
Anyone experiencing a similar problem?

Brien
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 10:58 AM

Yeah, mine opens itself every once and awhile since updating.

drive-thru
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Brien
Yeah, mine opens itself every once and awhile since updating.
I tried repairing permissions and nothing changed.
It seems that removing the iTunes Widget from Dashboard did the trick - which wasn't a problem because it only worked 20% of the time for me anyway, and even then it was delayed. However, I've just noticed that each Widget has its own .plist file (in User>Library>Preferences>widget-com.---.plist) so maybe trashing the preferences file will sort it out.

Edit - ...maybe not.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 11:35 AM

Sound to me iTunes 4.8 is the crappiest version of iTunes yet. I think I'll skip it.

“Building Better Worlds”

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Sound to me iTunes 4.8 is the crappiest version of iTunes yet. I think I'll skip it.
My iTunes 4.8 is working flawlessly - I got a few videos from the Music Store and they play well on my Mac Mini. I think it's an excellent update!

willed
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Hm I wonder why iTunes would have more overhead than QT Player?
Yeah, good one. The fact is that I can play the movies fine with iTunes open at the same time at QT Player and they run fine. Quit QT Player and play them in iTunes instead and they skip. Normal logic would assume that with one less program running the same job could be done more easily, but this is not the case. Therefore I concluded that iTunes 4.8 is, for this reason and the many other listed here, a POS.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 03:57 PM

So where is this no more iSync feature at? I have Itunes 4.8 with my iPod connected and don't see squat about syncing contacts ect. in any options. I leave iTunes on period so not needing iSync is a great feature for me not havin to have iSync pop up and then I have to close it's window everytime. Havint had a problem with 4.8 yet on 10.3.9, I see most are running tiger and having problems?

edit: I'm using a 1g iPod, do you think you need to have a newer version to support iTunes Syncing for contacts ect?

2nd edit: Videos working great for me, but I can't enable full screen mode. This a feature in Tiger only, I have QT updated to lastest and greatest. I do like on how they make the song availble to buy under the video too boot!
( Last edited by IFLY2HIGH; May 11, 2005 at 04:19 PM. )
- Eric

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 04:17 PM

I'm betting on the Mac version they just plugged the iSync SDK in. The palm conduit now uses it too so I never see iSync at all anymore.

willed
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
I'm betting on the Mac version they just plugged the iSync SDK in. The palm conduit now uses it too so I never see iSync at all anymore.
I wish it sorted out phones as well. It's annoying having to run iSync just for one device.

"one app, and BOOM, all your stuff's synced". Yeah right. More like three separate apps for my three separate devices now (.Mac, K700i, iPod). How is that progress??

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 08:15 PM

This thing isn't showing up in Software Update, but I launched iTunes, and a dialog box popped up that said "There is a newer version of iTunes available" from within iTunes. How odd is that?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
This thing isn't showing up in Software Update, but I launched iTunes, and a dialog box popped up that said "There is a newer version of iTunes available" from within iTunes. How odd is that?
Same thing here . . . I hope they aren't trying to make OS X update applications like winXP does . . . that would suck.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 12:04 AM

What's funny is that I inadvertently dismissed it, and who knows when it will prompt me again.

I'm in no big hurry anyway, but it's strange that there's no way to have the app check again manually--if that's the way they're moving.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2005, 01:57 AM

I went to download the Gorillaz track and the four videos. When I tried to, iTunes told me I needed the new version, which I downloaded. Then I downloaded the song/videos, and I must say that even with my humble 533mhz G4/NVidia GF2/512 MB RAM, the little videos played like a CHAMP in either the small window, or fullscreen.

bravo!

(oh, so yea, if you want to be prompted to update iTunes.. go to the store, and attempt to download the gorillaz track with the free videos.)
ice

siMac
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by funkboy
The new Dave Matthews Band album comes with a video. The Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc" EP has 4 (FOUR!) videos that come with it - 99 cents for the song *and* 4 videos!

I like this new idea...
Dammit, that's just not fair - the UK music store has exactly zero videos for Gorillaz, who are a UK act after all. Plus, all the tracks I've seen with videos cost more than the audio alone, $1.89 to be exact...
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Gavin
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by willed
iTunes is getting more and more bloated, mainly because it's the only app Apple makes for Windows.
This is a good point. It's a way to get quicktime onto more windows computers. Roll it all into iTunes and you give win users the one stop apple experience.

They also now have bonjour (rendezvous) for windows. Seems odd that they are going out of their way to make windows easier to use. It's a backdoor way to make apple technologies ubiquitous.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2005, 05:58 AM

So for those of us who have not yet downloaded the update, should we?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

threestain
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 07:02 AM

It seems to work fine for me. Though the iTMS was up the spout for a little while earlier - had to resume downloading about 5 times!

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
This thing is a WRECK.

Whenever I play a song, it stops after the first song and produces a dialog box:

"Searching for Movie Data in Track 7". (huh? There is no freaking Track 7 in my library).
If you click "Stop" (which is the only option), a dialog that says "the movie file "Track 7"
cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly" and you get "cancel"
and "search" buttons.

Issue: I'M NOT PLAYING A FREAKING MOVIE!

Selecting "cancel" allows the next track to start playing but before
too long it starts the process again on "Searching for movie data in "Track 6".
It infuriates me because I have no tracks titled "Track 7" or "Track 6".

Cancelling that starts it searching for "Track 3". It also doesn't exist yet selecting
cancel starts the whole tedious process all over again making iTunes essentially
WORTHLESS for what I use it for, which is to LISTEN TO MUSIC not watching videos.

Often I listen to music while doing other things.

I even unchecked "play videos" in the advanced preferences selection but the damn
thing keeps doing it over and over and over again.

Ideas? Help!
I'm getting the same thing. I just downloaded an album and I had to do the press cancel routine for each and every track. It even ran the same search for a non-existent movie during playback.

I guess I won't be buying anything further from the music store until they fix this. Interesting that Apple doesn't seem to have a feedback page for iTunes bugs. I sent feedback but the form was set up for requesting music. Hopefully they will read it anyway.

Edit: I have just discovered I can't play any sequence of songs, even ones I downloaded months ago. At the beginning of each song iTunes does the search and hangs until I manually hit "cancel." iTunes is now effectively useless. Anybody have any fixes? Where can I download 4.7.1?
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; May 13, 2005 at 10:32 AM. )

Gavin
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 10:53 AM

As a test, try playing the song in quicktime player - see if you get an error.

does this happen with all files or just recent AACs from iTMS?

Gavin
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 10:57 AM

Anybody else having streaming problems?

It can't seem to make it though a whole song without stalling. This is on a local network from a machine running iTunes 4.7

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2005, 11:21 AM

Update: there are a bunch of threads over in the iTunes discussion boards on Apple's site with the same searching for movie causing a crash problem. They suggested searching the library using terms like "quicktime" and ".mov". I did that and found an old mp3 file. I deleted it and so far things seem to be working.

It's too early to call this fixed, but fingers crossed. I'll let you know if it reoccurs.

This is a very stupid problem that in my opinion, Apple should have caught.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 11:00 AM

I searched in my iTunes music folder and sure enough there were a number of .AVI, .MPEG and .MOV
files in there. Unusual. I'll let you know if 4.8 works once I move/delete.

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
May 15, 2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Update:

This is a very stupid problem that in my opinion, Apple should have caught.
Seems we've been saying that quite a bit lately

IggyJReilly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 01:15 PM

I can't get any videos on the ITMS to work at all. Movies from my HD load and play back in iTunes, but when I try to play for instance the new Dave Matthews video, it plays 3 seconds of nothing then stops.

Is anyone else unable to load videos from ITMS or am I doing something wrong.

Installed iTunes twice from website download and once from SU. Trashed prefs and started new. Nothing.
( Last edited by IggyJReilly; May 15, 2005 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo)
People will never know how long it takes you to do something. They will only know how well it is done.

IggyJReilly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 08:22 AM

Bttt
People will never know how long it takes you to do something. They will only know how well it is done.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 11:21 AM

Removed all .QT, .AVI, .MOV, .MPEG, and .MPG formatted files and still experience
this issue. Frustrating to say the least. Can anyone think of any other possible video
formats that might cause this?

I've got almost 6000 tunes in my iTunes library and about 30 gigs, a little hard to
manage right now anyway. I might have to take it apart.

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 12:45 PM

Look for MP4, too. It's probably easier to sort your entire library by kind, and look for the non-audio sections in the list.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 01:22 PM

Stupid question - I didn't update yet and why should I?
iTunes 4.8 Movie Trailers work just fine in iTunes 4.7.1 (I am watching one right now), so what's the real difference from 4.7 to 4.8??

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:14 PM

Gizmodo has uncovered a dialogue that references an AirTunes remote when iTunes music sharing port isn't open in the firewall.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Gizmodo has uncovered a dialogue that references an AirTunes remote when iTunes music sharing port isn't open in the firewall.

Or it could just be poor wording for using the computer as a remote for Airtunes.
In either case, the warning was there in previous versions as well.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 03:57 PM

Here's something annoying:

If you have your music playing from speakers over an AX, the videos will NOT play from those speakers. They'll play from your computer's speakers instead.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 07:57 PM

i'm not sure if this has been posted, and i'm not in the mood to read through 3 pages.

like how videos have a video icon to the right of the title, so do pdf files.

not sure if this is new or not, but you can store .pdf files in itunes now.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 11:30 PM

Ok. For some strange and unknown reason Apple has decided to move away from all syncing being handled by iSync to 3 separate sync methods .... .Mac Syncing, iPod syncing via iTunes 4.8, and device syncing via iSync. Ok fine. That's a hassle but I suppose there is some semblance of "logic" to it. The problem is Exchange syncing. It is the "red headed stepchild" in this new scheme because it doesn't fall into any of these three categories. Apparently the way to initiate this syncing is via iSync even though it is no longer listed as a "device" in iSync. Not a very good thing but oh well. But here's the deal. Why separate iPod syncing and say that it will now be handled by iTunes 4.8 .... but when you initiate the process it apparently fires up iSync behind the scenes? I say this because when I sync my iPod at home where I'm not connected to the network at work I get an "iSync couldn't connect to Exchange." error message. Now this is just BRAIN DEAD! In Panther everything was centralized and syncing across EVERYTHING worked seamlessly. This new scheme is definitely a step backwards in terms of usability. But if Apple insists on this new approach they could at least make it work properly. If iTunes is now used to sync the iPod then Address Book syncing with Exchange shouldn't have anything to do with it anymore. It is apparently launching iSync behind the scenes but the logic should be intelligent enough to only attempt to sync the iPod and nothing else.

OAW

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 06:39 AM

I've got a question...

does anyone know of a new plugin for ogg files in itunes now - finally worked out why my itunes keeps crashing - its the ogg files I have

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by threestain
I've got a question...

does anyone know of a new plugin for ogg files in itunes now - finally worked out why my itunes keeps crashing - its the ogg files I have
The Ogg Quicktime component is broken under Quicktime 7. You'll have to wait until an updated version is released.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 04:49 PM

drat thought so. Ah well, it will be a while won't it...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by threestain
drat thought so. Ah well, it will be a while won't it...
Not necessarily.. Work is underway on a new audio player for OSX which will use the AudioCodec API in Tiger. This means that there will be systemwide support for all of its codecs, including Ogg Vorbis!

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...opic=34627&hl=

Forum Links
Forum Rules