Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Carbon Copy Cloner and Tiger/No Admin Password

Carbon Copy Cloner and Tiger/No Admin Password
dr.pepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 11:36 PM

I'm trying to use CCC in Tiger on my new G5. I have no password for my admin account - I'm the only person who uses my machine. When I go to unlock CCC to clone, I enter no password and hit "OK" and the program hangs. I don't want to set a password for this user acct. Anyway to still clone with CCC?

Thanks!

drive-thru
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 02:35 AM

First of all, CCC is not a part of OS X, so this should be in the Applications forum.
If you search for "CCC Tiger" you'll notice that there are a few posts about the app not wokring under Tiger.
Google "carbon Copy Cloner" and go to the homepage - this will show you that CCC is not currently compatibile with Tiger and short explanation for it.

You can use Disk Utility (as mentionned on the CCC home page and a few other threads) by going to the Restore tab and dragging the source you want to clone from and the destination to clone to, to the appropriate boxes.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2005, 09:55 AM

I just used CCC yesterday with 10.4 and Pseudo, a little app which allows you to run a program as root--a GUI version of sudo. It worked like a charm.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 10:15 AM

He's hard at work on an update.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

drive-thru
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Goodman
I just used CCC yesterday with 10.4 and Pseudo, a little app which allows you to run a program as root--a GUI version of sudo. It worked like a charm.
Wow, thanks! I never thought of that, but it works as it gets around the authentication issue with CCC and Tiger.
You can run it straight from the Terminal by typing:

sudo open [drag the CCC app in here]

When CCC opens you still need to click the padlock and type your password, but it no longer hangs at this point.
Thanks again Ron.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2005, 10:53 AM

Stop whining and set the password. You are not the only user of your machine, and even if you were that would be no excuse. Forgive me if my wording is harsh, but I see this kind of security-ignorance every day, and it is precisely that attitude which has bred the current state of computer insecurity. Correct it, for your own sake.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dr.pepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2005, 12:54 PM

Thanks Ron! Works like a charm. I'm now all backed up. Thanks again for your productive tip!

Forum Links
Forum Rules