Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Latest Geico Caveman Commercial

Latest Geico Caveman Commercial
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 10:51 AM

Have you seen it?

It's a play on the previous Geico caveman commercial where the two gay (I think they're gay) caveman are having supper at a restaurant.

This time one of the cavemen is in the airport and he passes an advertisement on the wall for Geico with his picture on it and he is embarrassed and proud at the same time. It's done very well - makes me laugh every time.

I have Geico insurance, also, so I'm glad my dollars are going towards such great advertising.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 11:15 AM

View it here: YouTube - Geico Caveman Commercial 4

Hmmm, I never really got the impression they were gay. Roommates, but not gay.
( Last edited by Stradlater; Sep 22, 2006 at 11:22 AM. )
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2006, 11:21 AM

i thought the new caveman looked quite metro.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 11:29 AM

LOL and yes, definitely metro.

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 01:27 PM

I sort of like Progressive and the pink flip flop! One of the cavemen looks like my uncle though!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 01:36 PM

I thought that they were gay because of the way that the caveman shook his head in the restaurant commercial - when he says he "doesn't have much of an appetite."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I thought that they were gay because of the way that the caveman shook his head in the restaurant commercial - when he says he "doesn't have much of an appetite."

I thought there were just making the cavemen out to be all fancy and dignified.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 01:55 PM

O Lordi, another Gayco commercial.

IBderail.

-t

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I thought there were just making the cavemen out to be all fancy and dignified.
i agree. a play on the fact that a caveman should be beating the floor with a club or something "primitive"

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 03:23 PM

I have Geico insurance, also, so I'm glad my dollars are going towards such great advertising.

You are? I'd rather pay less and have none of my dollars go toward advertising.

But the Geico ads are good, I agree.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by itai195

For the most part I agree. But what in God's name were they thinking with the Burt Bacharach, Little Richard ones?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
For the most part I agree. But what in God's name were they thinking with the Burt Bacharach, Little Richard ones?
mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce..wooooo!!

Cracks me up every time !

-t

NYK Ace
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by itai195

i work for geico and and we have some of the lowest rates in the country. we strive to be the low cost provider and thus run a (mostly) paperless office. we spend alot of ads for sure but we never would think of charging the policy holders anything extra for our advertising

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by NYK Ace
we spend alot of ads for sure but we never would think of charging the policy holders anything extra for our advertising
Course you do.

It's part of the cost of doing business, and your rates are calculated to give the desired profit after deducting all the cost. These cost include advertising.

-t

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 06:32 PM

Love the Geico ads since day one.

Aflac ads on the other hands really annoy me.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts

Aflac ads on the other hands really annoy me.

You have other Hands?!?!?

Sorry. I'm being an arse.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 06:51 PM

Typical (Pats fan). grumble grumble J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 07:23 PM

I like that Royksopp song, I don't want to associate it with this advert though.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 07:54 PM

Aflac ads are lacking a certain, I don't know, je ne sais quoi...

The one with Trump's wife, Melania, was really demeaning. I honestly don't know what those two were thinking when she agreed to do it.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Typical (Pats fan). grumble grumble J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

kinda funny. I was watchin at da bar last week with a Jests fan. Gracious at first, but turned mean and obnoxious on me. It wasn't pretty. I can lose graciously but some people are just MEAN!

I don't think I HATE any team. I like the game. The whole NY vs Ne thing can be fun. Doesn't have to be nasty. My Dad and his uncle didn't speak for 22 years over a Red Sox Yankees game. Thankfully they made up before my uncle's death. Maybe I learned my lesson from that.

Now, back to our commercials...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 08:18 PM

i work for geico and and we have some of the lowest rates in the country. we strive to be the low cost provider and thus run a (mostly) paperless office. we spend alot of ads for sure but we never would think of charging the policy holders anything extra for our advertising
Huh?

You're kidding me, right?

So all those Geico ads cost them nothing?

Geico quoted me $1,100 for six months of car insurance.

Allstate wanted $420

I finally went to Farm Bureau and now I'm paying $303 - for a higher level of coverage.

edited: I never could get a real person on the phone at Geico to explain the ridiculous car insurance quote. Days later, via email, their explanation was that there was 'insufficient data' on my credit report. Well duh. My score is zero. I don't borrow money.

I rank Geico at the bottom - beside Progressive. Good luck getting a reasonable settlement out of either one.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Sep 22, 2006 at 08:31 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I rank Geico at the bottom - beside Progressive. Good luck getting a reasonable settlement out of either one.
Agreed.

Luckily my wife is a teacher so we can get a cheaper group policy through MEEMIC. I've never ever found cheaper. Actually, I've never found anyone close by even a couple hundred dollars.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Luckily my wife is a teacher so we can get a cheaper group policy through MEEMIC. I've never ever found cheaper. Actually, I've never found anyone close by even a couple hundred dollars.
I bet USAA would be close, if not even cheaper.

-t

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 09:14 PM

You have other Hands?!?!?

You're just jealous of my four arms =P

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 09:20 PM

I'm switching insurance companies and was calling around to get quotes. Geico gave me a good (but not great) quote, and as soon as I said I was going to do some more research, the hard sell started. The phone sales person kept hassling me about how if the rate was good, I should sign up. I basically hung up on her.

The thing is that their rate was good enough that if she had be polite, I probably would have eventually taken it. My business went elsewhere.

ImpulseResponse

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 09:24 PM

Spliffdaddy

Yeah, right. (NOT)

When hurricane Frances totaled our two cars Geico was out there two days later - wading through the water to get to our home that had no electricity - and they had checks for us for not only the amount the cars were worth, but an extra month's worth of rental rates x 2 or an extra $2000 in case we needed rental cars.

I love Geico - and with three cars and comprehensive and $100 deductibles our insurance for all three is $108 a month.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 09:25 PM

Of course advertising costs get passed back to the consumer in some form. If Geico didn't spend a penny on advertising, would their rates be lower or higher? Not saying Geico isn't a good insurer or that they don't offer good rates (supposedly), just that the concept of being happy about paying for a company's ads is foreign to me.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 09:30 PM

Folks, if you have Progressive insurance - I'd suggest finding a new insurance company.

Several years ago my poor little truck was hit in the parking lot at an apartment complex. The driver of the truck that hit mine was severely intoxicated, and had apparently fallen asleep just after shifting his truck into reverse. He tried to leave the scene, but was stuck in the mud....so he kept shifting between forward and reverse - ramming my pickup until it was shaped like a banana. Some residents at the apartment complex wrestled the driver out of his truck and called the police.

Come to find out, it was his boss's truck. Unfortunately, it was insured through Progressive. True to their word, Progressive had a claims adjuster at my door the next morning. And, folks, she was absolutely inept. After a few minutes of scribbling on a notepad and glancing at my banana-shaped pickup, she offered me a check for $870. I told her she was inept and that I'd like Progressive to send me a more qualified claims adjuster. She insisted that I should sign a form and accept the check - and if the repairs cost more than $870 then they would cover the difference. I told her that I would rent a car and get my truck repaired and then send them the bill for all of it. She told me it didn't work that way. Again, she wanted me to accept the check and sign a form with about 10,000 words of fine print on it.
Long story short...It took 3 weeks to repair my truck. The total cost was $3,800 and the rental car was about $650. After almost 3 months of arguing with Progressive, they offered me $2,500. I had to file the difference under my own insurance.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 09:42 PM

bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do...

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck

-t
Do you know what I pay? No.

Do you know how many companies I have called? 50+

Ever heard of MEEMIC and why I get such a low premium? It's a teacher's group insurance group and statistically they are in the least amount of accidents and therefore have by far the cheapest premiums. ONLY teachers are allowed into the plan.

Now, why do you think USAA would be cheaper?

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 09:59 PM

Folks, if you have Progressive insurance - I'd suggest finding a new insurance company.
***SNIP***img]http://www.alanvincent.com/MVC-371F.JPG[/img]
2nded heartily. I had almost the exact same experience with Progressive. But with a 3rd party innocent like myself. He had progressive and for some freakish reason they wanted ME to pay HIS deductible. I wasn't in my car or within 1/2 mile of it when the accident occurred. I didn't have to pay a penny for my car and my rates actually went down the next year.

I also had a similar experience with Geicko

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 10:32 PM

totally off topic blah blah

Now, back to our commercials...
I don't hate, I mean it's just sports. No need to get nasty.

Now sure, I may not remember seeing no Pats sig before they won those darn titles. That's probably me though.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 10:42 PM

Silly Paul, 2003 was AFTER the titles!

Fan since 1980.

I'm sorry if I appeared nasty. I thought I made it clear that I just love the game. I also think Chad Pennington is the shizzle.

Sports are fun! Let's have a fun season.

BOT

The latest caveman didn't do a lot for me. But I still like the fact that Geico takes so many different angles. The lizard now, "Free Chips?"

I have Geico and Progressive. Never had a problem... yet.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Now, why do you think USAA would be cheaper?
I havent' compared it to that teacher's union thing, but I have read a lot that it absolutely beats most (can't say eveything) else out there. And yes, it is a closed insuarance, too.

-t

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 08:47 AM

Spliffdaddy:

Something doesn't add up with your story.

So, Progressive's claim adjuster was at your door the next morning - this was the insurance carrier of the guy that hit you - and YOUR OWN INSURANCE company was not contacted FIRST?

That is the #1 golden rule: NEVER DEAL WITH THE OPPOSING PARTY'S INSURANCE COMPANY DIRECTLY...EVER.

You call your OWN insurance company and tell them what happened and THEY deal with the other insurance company - and make sure that your vehicle is properly repaired.

I have no idea why you'd ever deal with the opposing party's insurance company yourself - that screams, "Screw me over - here let me bend over for you!"

Your own insurance company would tell you the same thing. When I've had someone hit my car from behind the first thing Geico did was to say, "Just get their license plate number and/or the name of their insurance company and that's all. Don't speak to them or their insurance company AT ALL."

In fact, Geico went ahead and covered costs of a rental and repair and went after the other company directly for ALL of the costs - we didn't do a thing. Happened three times in 7 years and we've never dealt with the opposing person's insurance company ever. In fact, one time the insurance company of the guy that hit the rear fender simply wanted to bondo the vehicle when we wanted the entire panel completely replaced and Geico made them pay to replace the entire panel and not bondo it.

Like I said, you never deal with any insurance company except your own, ever.

Now, in your defense, I had Progressive for about a year before we had Geico and before that had USAA for many many years. You're right: Progressive is horrible. Someone hit me in the parking lot and I called them and they sent me to their vehicle repair place and then said that they'd only repair it minus $189 - not including my $200 deductible. So some senile old lady hits me (she was 88 years old in a Cadillac) and I end up paying $389 for it.

I can understand the $200 deductible - it's what I signed on the dotted line for - but the $189 short they said "does not cover the premium paint on [my] Saab."

I hate Progressive now and think that company is fraudulent.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2006, 11:53 AM

FWIW, my Progressive experience so far has been positive. When I had to make a claim when my car got broken into, the adjuster met me, and then added a lot of labor to the adjustment to bring it substantially over my deductible, so that I'd get enough back to fix the small amount of damage that did occur.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck

-t
I will not do business with USAA. When they were getting plenty of money out of military officers buying insurance, they would NOT insure enlisted people. When they started seeing competition for the officer market, they finally (after something like 60 years) decided that enlisted people were worth insuring-and their client base skyrocketed. I may be holding a worthless grudge, but when I asked a USAA rep why they didn't want to insure enlisted people, I was told that "the officer demographic is a better risk pool-and of course young enlisted people are pretty wild, right?" Yeah, right. In any case, I wasn't good enough for them when I was an E5 with a wife and kid, I'm not going to give them my business now.

GEICO, on the other hand has always been great to me. We've had two accidents over the years, and not a problem. I was run off the road by some very old guy who was totally lost and took a wrong turn-it banged up my car pretty badly; the hood, fender, and door on one side were messed up because I ran down a sign (that said "Crossing Median Prohibited"; they never replaced it). GEICO's preferred body shop made the car good as new in only a couple of days, and GEICO didn't flinch at their use of OEM parts instead of cheaper parts because the OEM parts actually fit.

My wife had an old lady bump into her in a parking lot, and then the old lady claimed my wife backed into her. Funny, when I'm in a parking lot, I actually watch for backup lights and don't turn into a lane where someone is backing... Anyway, the damage to my wife's car was just a cut on the bumper cover and we didn't bother getting it replaced-but our rates didn't go up, either.

Rant over. I won't go with USAA (even though I live in San Antonio, their headquarters), but I'm quite happy with GEICO.

Oh, and while the cavemen are pretty metro, I don't think they're gay.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 02:50 PM

Dude, I just saved 50% on my car insurance...by switching away from Geico!!!

After switching to Liberty Mutual, I have better coverage than I did before and renter's insurance on top of it. I also live in the bay area, which typically has higher rates, and it's still cheaper.

I also hear that Costco offers great coverage at very low prices. With my driving record I don't think I'll find a better deal than what I have with Liberty Mutual, but if you're thinking of switching, Liberty Mutual and Costco are both worth a phone call.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 06:56 PM

Cody Dawg, You never report a claim to your own insurance company unless you absolutely have to. That's why I didn't contact my insurance company. Any chance they get to raise your rates - they do it. And it doesn't matter if it wasn't your fault.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 23, 2006, 07:05 PM

Cody Dawg, You never report a claim to your own insurance company unless you absolutely have to. That's why I didn't contact my insurance company. Any chance they get to raise your rates - they do it. And it doesn't matter if it wasn't your fault.
Amen.

Agreed.

2nded!

yada yada yada...

ad infinitum.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 07:06 PM

I completely agree. But when $4400 for repairs and rental is involved, I'd probably have contacted mine.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 07:17 PM

Not always. See my above diatribe-GEICO could have raised our rates because some old bag claimed against us but they did not.
Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
Insurance is market-specific. I cannot find better coverage for anywhere near the price here in San Antonio. We used to have renters insurance through them too, but they divested to concentrate on auto insurance-and we bought a house.
Originally Posted by tooki
FWIW, my Progressive experience so far has been positive. When I had to make a claim when my car got broken into, the adjuster met me, and then added a lot of labor to the adjustment to bring it substantially over my deductible, so that I'd get enough back to fix the small amount of damage that did occur.
That's the kind of customer service that keeps a customer. The GEICO adjuster was like that too. He knew the body shop would reject third-party parts out of hand-he had an office in their shop!

acceber61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 09:47 AM

I LOVE the newest in the series...however...I never made the 'gay' connection...in fact...I thought they were brothers...if anything...

I have not been able to find on line...the one where they are all at home...and one is playing the piano...anyone know where that one went?

If so please post...

acceber61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 10:03 AM

Oh...I found it...three in one...

YouTube - Geico Caveman Bundle

If you listen carefully...to in the second one...does he turn around and say...Dana?...to the guy playing the Piano?...Does anyone know?...

Also...does anyone know what airport was the last one filmed in...Looks like Newark Airport to me...

I wonder why the caveman on the poster...doesn't represent what the 'other cavemen look like...he looks more like a Fabio version!

Also...the 'ok' sign he is making with his fingers...in Brazil perhaps other South American countries...is the same as the FU sign...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 25, 2006, 10:23 AM

It was always my impression that the cavemen were pretty metro to emphasize that they were fairly hip and modern, not that it reflected anything about their orientations...The sound guy in the "on set" commercial shows that cavemen are technically adept. And in the one with the three cavemen watching the big-screen TV (the one with the piano) I thought they were emphasizing culture and use of technology. I haven't seen a "cavewoman" in one of their commercials yet, though.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 10:44 AM

Spliffdaddy

Cody Dawg, You never report a claim to your own insurance company unless you absolutely have to.
Just so that you know, when you make a claim to ANY OTHER company - such as you did - the opposing party's insurance company notifies YOUR insurance company that they have paid off a claim.

And, you risk having your rates raised or contract cancelled for failure to report a claim to your own insurance company.

So, your little scheme of "never letting your insurance company know" ONLY works if you get paid cash by the person that hit you, not your insurance company.

I was told that by our adjustor once and I just got off the telephone with Geico in Orlando (they reduced my rates another $108 annually because I moved) and they said that yes, it's true, and it's an industry-wide standard.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 10:55 AM

I've only had two occaisions where i needed to involve the insurance agency - and I called mine both times. Things were taken care off as quickly as expected, and I never got a rate increase. In fact, the only time my insurance was raised was when we made claims against our comprehensive three times in one year (hit a deer, windshield crack, and broken window). And the increase was almost negligible ($30 for the year?).

I've used USAA for about 10 years now, and I absolutely love them. And we've yet to find someone that can beat their rates - and still offer the high level of service. In fact, we used to tell tellemarkers that we have USAA.. which would then get them off the phone. (although t hasn't worked lately, so maybe their rates have gone up more....).

GHPorter, I can understand your "opinion" of them, but that really has little to do with the product they offer. Also, was this person you were talking to a senior manager? I'm sure the statement is probably true (although I didn't even know they weren't available to all military - I got it through my wife, who's father is a Uniformed public health officer); However, I've also heard some really wacked out answers from reps before. I'm not a business strategist, but I would assume if risk level was the only reason, they simply could've given the enlisted folks a higer rate - no?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 07:11 PM

Just so that you know, when you make a claim to ANY OTHER company - such as you did - the opposing party's insurance company notifies YOUR insurance company that they have paid off a claim.

And, you risk having your rates raised or contract cancelled for failure to report a claim to your own insurance company.

So, your little scheme of "never letting your insurance company know" ONLY works if you get paid cash by the person that hit you, not your insurance company.

I was told that by our adjustor once and I just got off the telephone with Geico in Orlando (they reduced my rates another $108 annually because I moved) and they said that yes, it's true, and it's an industry-wide standard.

No, Progressive had no way of knowing who my insurance company was. It's not anybody's business unless I want it to be known. You cannot be cancelled for not filing a claim. If anything, your insurance company appreciates it if you don't file claims. The sole purpose behind a deductible is to limit payouts by insurance companies. They surely don't expect a customer to file a $200 claim when they have a $250 deductible.

You don't even need automobile liability insurance if you're self-insured and maintain the state minumum coverage requirement in a deposited bond. Something that I plan on doing in the near future.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Sep 25, 2006 at 07:22 PM. )

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
View it here: YouTube - Geico Caveman Commercial 4

Hmmm, I never really got the impression they were gay. Roommates, but not gay.
i never got the impression that they were gay OR roommates. pals, but nothing more.

and weren't there three (3) not two (2)?

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem

After switching to Liberty Mutual, I have better coverage than I did before and renter's insurance on top of it. I also live in the bay area, which typically has higher rates, and it's still cheaper.

I also hear that Costco offers great coverage at very low prices. With my driving record I don't think I'll find a better deal than what I have with Liberty Mutual, but if you're thinking of switching, Liberty Mutual and Costco are both worth a phone call.
i did too. my insurance dropped over $90/month when i got away from geico for the SAME coverage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules