Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac on the lap and the heat issue

Mac on the lap and the heat issue
Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2007, 02:58 PM

I have been trying various thinks for disappating heat from my mac portables particularly when I am sitting with the portable on my lap. I have located a rather interesting solution. While shopping I noticed a sushi cutting board in two sizes one 11 * 14 and another 10* 10. The cutting Board has a flat top supported by four legs about 1 inch square and 1.5 inch high. by turning the board over and placing the portable on the feet of the cutting board I have a nice 1.5 inch air space under the computer except where the computer is supported by the 4 legs. I use the 10*10 for a 12" notebook and the 11*14 works fine for a 13" and 17" notebook. No more heat coming from the computer directly on my lap or transmitted through a support table board etc. Harry

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2007, 06:49 PM

Wow, Harry, that's a great discovery. My PB runs so hot doing almost nothing, it ain't funny. Does this sushi board have a name and/or an place I can get one? Thanks for the tip

Harry Schaefer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2007, 11:53 PM

thanks for your note. I bought it at the Palm desert store of World Market (Cost Plus). I looked on the internet for their web site but couldn't find the item shown. It is called a sushi platter 28317. it is made in thailand of acacia wood. There are a couple of codes on the label. The World market reference is 23716322. It is labeled Ironwood gourmet by the manufacturer with an email address
[email protected]
I visited their site but didn't see the Board with legs their product number is 28317
( Last edited by Harry Schaefer; Mar 11, 2007 at 12:00 AM. )

blueleaf
Mar 11, 2007, 12:27 AM

There's this really cool app called iCyclone. It works great and basically what it does is give you complete control of your laptops fans, therefore keeping your laptop basically at whatever temperature you want.

iCyclone 0.8.2 - MacUpdate

neyoung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 09:38 AM

Lap Desks are kind of neat. I haven't used those ones, but I have used cheaper ones with essentially a bean bag on the under side. They will completely eliminate heat and are comfortable to use
Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project

Forum Links
Forum Rules