Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCD Alternatives

LCD Alternatives
StrongBad
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 11:10 AM

The Apple Displays rock. I've owned them in the past, and I'm considering buying again, however the alternatives are starting look tempting. I don't have a huge beef with the premium for the apple displays (they truly are the best looking), but I'm considering a new setup to include 3 - 23" or 24" LCD's and that premium starts to get out of hand.

So I'll open it up here for suggestions on alternatives to Apple displays.

Requirements:

DVI
1920 x 1200 minimum res on 23" or 24"
Brightness 400 cd/m2 or better
any aspect ratio
USB on display would be nice

Currently I'm leaning towards the Samsung 245BW. At about $450 a piece, I'd be looking at be looking at 50% savings.

All thoughts are welcome!

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 01:19 PM

From the title of your post, I thought you were looking for an alternative to using LCD technology in displays.

At any rate, there's a lot of discussion about this in the forum formerly known as Peripherals. I don't blame you for not knowing what it covered, based on the name
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

OreoCookie
Jan 17, 2008, 01:32 PM

First thing is: cheap displays usually use TN panels. That may sound like a trivial statement, but TN panels can display less colors (smaller gamut) and their colors have a larger angle-dependency (I'm not necessarily talking about the viewing angle). This is bad if you are editing lots of pictures or videos or want those things just because.

Displays with non-TN panels cost about as much as Apple's displays. (I'm not saying Apple Cinema Displays are among the cheapest, but they're in the same ballpark.)

Oh, and moving to Peripherals … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 02:41 PM

I'm not looking for "cheap", I'm looking for realistic alternatives. Both Samsung and LG.Phillips (who makes the "guts" for the Apple displays) have TFT displays at 40% - 50% less $$ than Apple.

The Samsung I am referring to is a TFT. And inexpensive even at big box retailers: Best Buy is $499. Please link to comparable LCD's, instead of generalizing.

oh, and a peripheral (in personal computer terms) is traditional a piece of hardware that isn't critical to the operation of the computer. Joystick = peripheral. CD Burner = peripheral. Monitor = not a peripheral.

an ice cream cone's not alive, no no no

EDIT: It looks like it's actually called "Consumer Hardware & Components" which I can deal with.
( Last edited by StrongBad; Jan 17, 2008 at 02:50 PM. )

OreoCookie
Jan 17, 2008, 02:59 PM

Samsung offers 24" lcds with both, TN panels and other panels -- all of them are TFTs. The type of panel for your TFT (no matter which manufacturer you choose) crucially determines the price. Since companies like Samsung and Eizo offer monitors with both types of panels, you can choose between an lcd with a cheaper panel and a more expensive panel. Apple uses exclusively the more expensive panel types in their Cinema Displays.

For expample, the first Samsung I've linked to costs half of what the ACD costs, the second one is actually more expensive than the 23" ACD (about €900-1000). From that respect, only displays with the more expensive panel type are `comparable,' while the display you have linked to is not.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 03:11 PM

The 24" Samsung 245T is $650.

A 23" Apple Cinema Display is $899.

My math says the Samsung is $249 less and one inch larger.

OreoCookie
Jan 17, 2008, 03:21 PM

Somebody is in a good mood
In Germany, the display is listed at around the same price as the ACD. If you can get it cheaper in the US, good for you. (Edit: On amazon at least, it looks as if you get a steep discount, it used to cost about as much as the ACD.)

In either case, the 245T is at least $190 more expensive for the reasons I've given you above.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
In either case, the 245T is at least $190 more expensive for the reasons I've given you above.
perfect. I'm sold on the 245T.

One last I want to run by you. How about this Westinghouse? I can't be certain what type of screen it is, but the specs (especially the viewing angle of 176°) lead me to believe it isn't a TN. Also, what is the tell tale sign of panel type when it isn't explicitly said in the specs?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 07:03 PM

The shiny new Dell 2408FPW (with every video connector you'd want) for $800ish.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The shiny new Dell 2408FPW (with every video connector you'd want) for $800ish.
I'd rather give my money to the devil or NAMBLA over Michael Dell.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 02:41 PM

Not to derail the thread, but what exactly qualifies as "Consumer Hardware & Components"? I think Peripherals made more sense.

Back on topic: have you checked out Sceptre displays? I have a couple of them and have been reasonably happy.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
have you checked out Sceptre displays?
They call a line of their displays the "1080p Series". That's just ignorant marketing. I closed the window before I could find additional misinformation.

OreoCookie
Jan 18, 2008, 03:52 PM

Besides, the Dell is more expensive than the Samsung. I have a Samsung on my desk, my dad has one on his desk, they make good displays. Plus, their design department does a rather decent job.
I haven't heard anything of Westinghouse, so I can't comment on that.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2008, 08:30 PM

There are cheaper Dells (2407) that are more comparable with the $450 Samsungs.

anselm
Jan 24, 2008, 10:14 AM

There is one Samsung for some 410€ which is pretty good for it`s price. It`s probably the best TN panel but Apple`s 23" display uses better display technology.

If you want something with great quality then Eizo has got 2-3 models but htey are not cheap.

StrongBad  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2008, 04:39 PM

Just FYI, I went with 2 23" Apple Displays. A small biz discount @ the apple store made it a no brainer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules