Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > white macbook crack, anyone else?

white macbook crack, anyone else? (Page 3)
D2G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by aznsmith View Post
I just went to an apple store today and they replaced the top-case for free even though my macbook is out of warranty due to the problem being a known issue. The repair took less than an hour with heavy amount of customers despite the estimate of 2-3 days. So, i'm happy about it.
Glad to hear these top-cases are getting replaced for free fairly easily. I replaced a top-case assembly for the chipping plastic and discoloration, and the job was really simple. The keyboard, track-pad and plastic assembly are all one self-contained unit. The install only required removing a few screws and disconnecting the cable link to the keyboard and track-pad. Took less than 10 minutes. Done.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 2GB RAM | 10.5.1
15" iMac G4 | 700 MHz | 1GB RAM | 10.4.11
40GB iPod classic (3rd gen.), 40GB iPod classic (4th gen.), 4GB iPod nano (1st gen.)

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2008, 01:58 PM

Buge, how long have you had this Macbook?

buge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 09:42 PM

I have had my Macbook since May 25, 2006, I notice the cracking last December, and I notice the staining couple months after i used my Macbook

Maraudox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 01:00 PM

Neverending problem it seems. Bought a MacBook 3 weeks ago. It has cracked already:

Reason is the plastic plate, where they keyboard and touchpad is integrated, has come loose - maybe they don't glue it properly or it's not heatresistant (had a logitech mouse falling apart because the glue holding the parts into place dripped out of it after 1 hour use...)

Always stored in a thick neoprene sleeve.

Called AppleCare and they said I should take it to a store and they would fix it. Will try it tomorrow, but still... Mac's arent cheap and this shouldn't happen. It still does even a year after the first problems were encountered... In my opinion that's just ignoring the problem.

Even if it does get fixed, how will it look after a year if this is the result after 3 weeks...

macbooksrcompletepish
Banned
Feb 14, 2008, 09:03 PM

Im that mad, ive even joined this forum to vent my anger.

This macbook 13" is FLAWED! MAJORLY FLAWED.

Having been a pc user for 10 years and been suckered into this macs are better hype I invested in a macbook 13. Ive had it 9 weeks and its got this crack that just about everybody has, i know 4 people with macbooks and 75% of them have this crack problem where the lid splits the cheap crap plastic top casing. I like the thread title as its most appropriate.

After chatting to apple today they are very kindly going to replace the cover but on deeper thought, im just going to call them back tomorrow and demand my money back. This is just not good enough. All they are going to do is replace a junk piece of plastic with another junk piece of plastic and this heap will break again. Smaller companies have replaced a faulty product within 3 months of it breaking and i dont care about it being "cosmetic". 80% of my reasoning buying is cos they looked "book". Well it dont look so book now.

As i run my own pc repair business, unless i get a satisfactory response regarding this outrage, none of them will ever be encouraged to purchase a mac or any other apple product and this recent resurgence that they have been on will come to an abrupt end.

Long live the pc. At least its solid and not a flimsy piece of pish that looks good if you dont touch it, or close the lid or carry it about anywhere or fart near it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2008, 03:56 AM

So you registered to tell us that? Hope you feel better. Now tell me what benefit did the readers of this board have from your little rant fit?

Oh and BTW, cross-posting is not allowed per the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 15, 2008 at 04:04 AM. )

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2008, 10:26 AM

Ahhh yes.... the "I'm a PC tech... " line. You sir, are no tech. Not a real tech anyways. I suspect that because you can swap out memory chips and put in a new video card, you call yourself a tech. Sadly the proof is in your words above. No REAL PC tech can deny that when you buy a Mac, be it a Macbook, an Imac, a Mac Mini or even a Powerbook, you're buying it for the OS, not the case it comes in. A Macbook, you should know if you were a "real" tech, is just another laptop. There are comparable versions that run Windows, and even they have flaws. Can you point me to one laptop that does not have any issues? Hmm?? Whats that I hear? Silence? Why surely you would know as a tech which models of laptops are statistically better than others right?

Yeah. Thought so. Please child, go troll on the gateway forums.

(for those wondering, the best built PC laptops most recommended by techs are IBM/Lenovo thinkpads and Toshibas. Anyone remember the butterfly keyboard on the ibm thinkpad?)
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 10:32 AM

Haha, I love how apple offers to replace it for free, yet "on deeper thought" that's not good enough for him... yes, it's a PITA, but Apple has replaced mine for free twice (OK, the last time took like 4 days, but it was right around xmas time) and regardless of the situation, a stupid design flaw would (that a company acknowledges and offers to fix for no charge!) in no way convince me to use PCs. Good luck bud.

xwand3ringangelx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 10:43 PM

Just out of curiosity as my macbook was given to me after my father used it for about a year or so, are they replacing the top rests for free, or only if you are still under warranty? As mine is starting to crack in the usual spot right under the "feet" of the screen bezel. This makes the second problem including the recent battery recall on certain older batteries that just stopped working.

Caravaggio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 05:28 AM

My Macbook's Palm rest cover cracked as well... and i already knew i'm not the only one with that problem. My 2 other friends' macbook cracked @the similar area (right @the magnetic closure of the palm-rest)

We examined the crack and we concluded that the plastic is too thin or fragile for something that's meant to be mobile and the strips on the lid probably has increased the chances of cracking it. It is just shocking that such great name in design like Apple to disappoint us like that with this product.

I was told that crack like such isn't covered under warranty, when I took mine down to the Apple's appointed service centre in Singapore located in Orchard Rd, Wheelock Place under the service company of Sapura Service@Orchard (EpicCentre@Orchard). What annoyed me most was they kept telling me to purchase the AppleCare and was more eager to promote it. I don't even think twice purchasing AppleCare when such flaw in the product isn't taken care of. I wish to complain this to Apple Singapore, but i'm not able to find the proper channel so that i can write in, becoz this is totally not user end's fault, and my warranty has just expired.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Mar 26, 2008, 05:46 AM

The case cracks because the compound they replaced the discoloring models with is too brittle, the new models (and the replacement top case you will receive when going in for the repair) use a new compound that has had no issues thus far (13 months). Third time lucky it seems.

Apple will replace the top case even if you're out of warranty (if your model has uses the brittle compound). They're doing this as an "express" repair and it should take 1-2 working days.

If anyone tells you otherwise then I'd assume they're ill informed, Apple have recognised and apologised for the various plastic production problems and seem to be doing a good(ish) job at replacing them.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
If anyone tells you otherwise then I'd assume they're ill informed, Apple have recognised and apologised for the various plastic production problems and seem to be doing a good(ish) job at replacing them.
I've heard they're doing a commendable job of replacing them if you're under warranty. I've read other accounts of people being treated poorly, and other accounts of support acting as if they have no idea of this issue. Do you have any links to suggest Apple is aware of the problem and replacing these parts even while out of warranty? Thanks.

Granted, the rant above is pretty trollish, but try to empathize with his issue. Brand new macbook with plastic cracking? Another person bought his 3 weeks prior to his post on Feb 12th with same issue? Did they just come out with this new, superior compound last week after making yet another product line of consumers R&D their machines for them? C'mon Apple. It's not like they just got into the mobile computing biz last year. This reminds me of the nano you couldn't put in your shirt pocket without looking like you drop-kicked it across a parking lot of sand paper and the Titanium (you know, what they make the space shuttle out of) Powerbook's hinge debacle, noisy workstation class machinery, poor convection cooling on original iMac, etc... If they're going to produce disposable machines, they need to reflect that in their pricing. Makes me wonder what R&D consumers will be running for Apple on the MacBook air.

*Already reports of poor performance, running flame-throwing hot, and Apple support advising customers to disconnect all cables and remove the non-removable battery.
ebuddy

Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2008, 10:58 PM

Even though there are two different types of compounds, is anyone aware if Apple has been using the new compound in the recent Penryn Macbooks? Also I was wondering if the BlackBook compound was anymore durable? Does it really make a difference which color as far as durability?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Mar 28, 2008, 06:00 AM

After going through a few of these top case replacements for machines in and out of warranty (oldest was 17 months old I believe), I enquired about what was going on.

A genius bar supervisor came down and explained the situation (getting the plastic compound wrong... twice) and stated that as long as the cracking was consistent with the known brittle points and the machine had no signs of impact damage than they would replace the top case with the new compound version (whether in or out of warranty).

He may have been telling me what I wanted to hear, but he seemed very genuine. The fact that the repair is listed as an "express" job (which was shown to me) on the system points towards the fact that Apple recognize this (internally at least) as an embarrassing problem.

I would ask to speak to a supervisor if you're turned away, or would phone an Apple care representative directly (incidentally I have had the repair authorised over the phone after simply explaining the type/position of the crack and the model number of my machines).

Originally Posted by Beweglich
Even though there are two different types of compounds, is anyone aware if Apple has been using the new compound in the recent Penryn Macbooks?
I assume that Apple would have learnt something about these plastic compounds after going through these production problems so future versions of the MacBook that require this kind of top case shouldn't have any issues if the design of the units are similar.

Originally Posted by Beweglich
Also I was wondering if the BlackBook compound was anymore durable? Does it really make a difference which color as far as durability?
Yes, the BlackBook hasn't had any issues (as far as I know) with the materials used and so would be the better option if buying second hand. The current versions of the MacBook (if buying new) no longer have these problems (again, as far as I know).

Originally Posted by ebuddy
Brand new macbook with plastic cracking? Another person bought his 3 weeks prior to his post on Feb 12th with same issue?
If this is true than it would seem as if I have been lied to by the Genius Bar supervisor, but every time I have gone in for a repair I have been told that the new top case uses a new kind of compound and that the issue will not arise again?! (Surely such a statement would be dangerous to impart on customers en mass if it was a lie?)

Caravaggio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 01:24 AM

arjae,

I've the exact kinda crack, where're ya from? I'm from Singapore... Mine was rejected by the Service Centre authorized by Apple here, Sapura Service@Orchard - Apple EpiCentre (Diversitec Distributors). They just put it as end-user's fault, and they do not replace this but advice me to purchase AppleCare Protection Plan. I did asked for the cost or repair though, it's $100(labour fee) + $300(parts), a total of $400 repair.. i did not take the offer.

djfookyu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2008, 07:46 PM

i have the same crack on the lower right but it hasn't broken off.i bought a new macbook in february so i guess it affects the newer ones as well. im going to take it in this week and see what they say

Kapoyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 01:39 PM

Hello everyone,
I just noticed this problem on my Week 25 Apple MacBook.
I have an appoitnment with a 'Genius' at the Apple store in Glendale, CA today. Hopefully they fix everything as soon as possible.
I will be showing this thread if they give me any problems as this is clearly a fault behalf of Apple and not the user.
-Kapoyan

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Beweglich View Post
Even though there are two different types of compounds, is anyone aware if Apple has been using the new compound in the recent Penryn Macbooks? Also I was wondering if the BlackBook compound was anymore durable? Does it really make a difference which color as far as durability?
Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
the BlackBook hasn't had any issues (as far as I know) with the materials used and so would be the better option if buying second hand. The current versions of the MacBook (if buying new) no longer have these problems (again, as far as I know).
Well, FWIW, I've had the top-case of my Blackbook (Rev. A) replaced once for cracks once, and will be taking it in to replace again shortly. Both times they were on the lip where everyone else seems to be having the problem. Hopefully they've fixed the problem by now. Of course, with the other issues I've been having I might end up with a new one, who knows?

Mackan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Haha, I love how apple offers to replace it for free, yet "on deeper thought" that's not good enough for him... yes, it's a PITA, but Apple has replaced mine for free twice (OK, the last time took like 4 days, but it was right around xmas time) and regardless of the situation, a stupid design flaw would (that a company acknowledges and offers to fix for no charge!) in no way convince me to use PCs. Good luck bud.
So Apple has acknowledged the problem, describing it on their website? So that where ever I am in the world (at a reseller, Apple Store, etc) can get it repaired without problems?

In any case, I would also demand my money back if they just continue to replace the casing without positive result. Maybe if enough people do that, Apple understands they have to fix the real cause of the problem...

Christopera
Forum Regular
May 11, 2008, 04:32 PM

11 months. Mine cracked at the screen foot this morning. Apple store here i come!
MB 2.16ghz c2d 3gb/250gb

anesucha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2008, 04:53 PM

I have had a similar problem not once but twice. the first time my computer cracked on both sides of the tracking pad. I took it to my local apple store and was able to get it repaired by having the entire keyboard area cover replaced. However this has occurred again even though they had informed me that they had replaced it with a different kind of plastic.

Ihatemymacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 05:21 PM

80 mile drive to get cracked case replaced for the 2nd time!

applestore in Tualatin assured me that replacement case was a new material

(roll eyes!)

I'm sure they are willing to keep replacing it until September, when my warranty runs out.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2008, 03:24 AM

Oh man

This must be one of the most depressing days for me. I bought my Macbook back in 2006 I think (it's the first macbook generation) with my own scholarship money.

And now I see there is a dark line on the right side and it's cracked. The piece didn't come out yet but I don't know what to do. I don't even have Applecare and 90 days was over ages ago and I am moving to dorms in the Fall.

I can't live with that cracked line like that I love my macbook !!!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 09:49 AM

Take it to an apple store and they will replace it, warranty or no, as is posted many times in this thread.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2008, 04:02 PM

Should I tell them to visit this thread if they say they won't replace for free?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Parvez View Post
Should I tell them to visit this thread if they say they won't replace for free?
No, just tell them that it's an obvious material defect and should be replaced. I've had it happen a few times, and not once have they ever looked up my warranty status before they said they'd replace it for free. They just do it.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 4, 2008, 04:36 PM

Sweet deal, I should have brought mine in before my Applecare was up.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2008, 10:40 PM

So guys, I went to the Apple Store today and told them about the problem. The guy at the Genius Bar said it's because of that magnet latch and closing it pretty hard or pressure on top. Anyway, he took it inside and got it repaired for free. It looks like a new shiny Macbook now. I don't even have AppleCare Protection or the 90 days warranty. It expired ages ago.

I couldn't be any happier than I am now.

Genius Bar receipt (sorry about the scanner quality):

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
Sweet deal, I should have brought mine in before my Applecare was up.
Bring it in. As stated multiple times, this should be covered in or out of warranty.

Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 12:31 AM

I noticed that the receipt says case v2. Do we know if they have more than two case versions? Wasn't there two changes already; one for the stained cases, then one for the cracked plastic, and shouldn't the most recent version of the case be v3? I'm not saying you got the wrong replacement, I'm just trying to understand this. I just bought my Macbook about two weeks ago and if I end up having to get it replaced I want the details so I can get it done right.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 04:07 AM

It is my understanding that the case was never modified to solve the crack issue.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2008, 03:07 PM

Well, it finally happened...

My Feb 2007 MacBook cracked yesterday. Not a big chip, just a little "slit" like the one posted above. I saw it coming, so it's really just annoying more than anything. There are no Apple stores nearby, but luckily, there is an Apple store near my school. Since I have to drive so far for class anyway, it wont be too out of the way to go get it fixed.

I also haven't heard anything about the cases being changed. I'm sure the replacement ones are just as susceptible to cracking.

pipep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 08:08 PM

Nothing new to add, just that my late 2006 out of warranty black macbook suffered yesterday apple's poor industrial design and showed the usual crack on the right side. Took it to store near me and as i'm in south america for the moment, they told me that they'll "have to check" if the free top case replacement can be done without warranty. I told the "genius" about the problem being fixed in the states with or without warranty and received a simple "hmmm" with a smile on his face.
Anyway, i'll write what happens next week. cheers

oh, i forgot, after updating to leopard i have the bluetooth not available problem, shuts down during sleep without saving anything, shuts down with 12+% battery left, and now cracked case.

sweet.

I now understand why God didn't let adam eat apples... crap.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 02:53 PM

Is this issue going on with the 08's as well? I was getting ready to buy a new one this week and now am a little hesitant...
Joe

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2008, 04:58 PM

I'm sure it is still an issue. I would still say go ahead and get one though. Some people never have the problem, and if you do, Apple will take care of it for free.

I'm going to try and get mine replaced on Monday. It really is a fantastic computer other than this one problem.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 05:00 PM

I haven't really heard of this happening with the latest revisions. I've got a friend who happens to be a Genius and he says the newer revs have a slightly different material used around the palm rests.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I haven't really heard of this happening with the latest revisions. I've got a friend who happens to be a Genius and he says the newer revs have a slightly different material used around the palm rests.
Then why are the replacement top cases still cracking? I think the Geniuses say that so people feel better about their replacements...

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 07:33 PM

Well, I'll probably chance it. I want something with some horsepower, can take 4 Gb of ram and bump the hard drive to 320 Gb so I can store ISO's and run Fusion for work. I'll roll the dice and hope I come up lucky..

Thanks for the feedback all.
Joe

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Then why are the replacement top cases still cracking? I think the Geniuses say that so people feel better about their replacements...
Not necessarily. If thew new cases are indeed different they might also not be used as replacement cases for older MBs. I'm not saying this is the case, but it would be a possible explanation why we still see old MBs (even those with replacement cases) get cracked.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
I'm sure it is still an issue. I would still say go ahead and get one though. Some people never have the problem, and if you do, Apple will take care of it for free.
I agree with that notion. Although the case cracks are definitely a PITA it is a cosmetic issue that is easily taken care of and Apple will do it for free. I would buy a MB again and hope for the best. I wouldn't slam the lid as hard as I do on my my MBP though.

pipep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 05:56 PM

As for me, i wouldn't buy a mb again, instead definetly a mbp, but if u think about it, what u prefer, broken top case, or random lines on ur screen?? at least the screen will be fixed with some firmware upgrade or something, the case cracked must be taken in, even if it takes an hour to get it fixed, still is an hour and the trouble.

By the way, still can't get my mb repaired, waiting for apple authorization....

cheers.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2008, 02:05 AM

Just today, in addition to the little crack I posted about above, a rather large piece broke off on the right side of my MacBook (on the actual side of the top case, not the front).

I'm not too upset because I figure it will just make it that much easier to convince them to replace it. The hard part is finding a genius appointment that fits my schedule.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 02:36 PM

Well, it looks like the iPhone 3G's may be using the same plastic as the Macbooks.

If I were Apple I'd be looking for a new supplier about now...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 02:47 PM

I doubt these issues are related. The iPhone and MB cases are very different materials.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 02:55 PM

Was it ever proven they were indeed using that zirconium plastic and not run-of-the-mill plastic housings? I recall Steve saying it was just 'plastic' at the keynote, but I may be wrong.

pinktanku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2008, 04:48 AM

I would be sad, glad that they fixed it.

al75161
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 12:55 AM

i took mine to a mac store and it was covered under applecare they fixd it the same day

patrix
Aug 6, 2008, 07:38 PM

Well, one year after I got my palmrest/keyboard/touchbad replaced for being cracked, I'm seeing a new crack on the right side, in exactly the same place. Wonderful!

Patrix.

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2008, 09:15 AM

*sigh*

Looks like mine has the same problem too. I bought mine in January 2008. So after 8 months I have a crack. I should have gotten a MBP. Time to sell it after I get it fixed!

Andrew88088
Aug 8, 2008, 07:51 AM

After just about a year, I now have a little hairline crack on the bottom right edge. Time to take it to the Apple store.. Does anyone know if they can do it on site? I really can't drop it off and pick it up another day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules