Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Palm Pre

Palm Pre (Page 3)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
In the days before the iPhone (what, there were days WITHOUT iPhones?!), I was a huge fan of Palm handhelds. I'd still like to see them succeed and get their asses out of the funk they've been in for over a decade, but choosing Sprint was a move I'm not certain about.

I hate Sprint with a passion, and I'm afraid that may be the glaring Achilles' heel. If they would have chosen one of the big three, they might have had better luck, but I just don't think they can pull it off with a carrier that was this close |----| to going under.
They did choose one of the big three...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2009, 02:40 PM

I'm just glad that Apple has really shaken up the industry and Palm is following suit. Android seems like a really solid product after playing with it a bit, and RIM is slowly getting their act together on figuring out how to make their OS about more than just messaging. Really the only laggards in the smart phone arena seem to be Windows Mobile and Symbian.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
They did choose one of the big three...
Only if you ignore T-Mobile's global presence. Starting out in the U.S. with Sprint, Palm has nowhere else to go. I'm not sure about where you live, but only business pukes use Sprint anywhere around here. It's just not the family-friendly company (read: multimedia phones) that the other three are.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Only if you ignore T-Mobile's global presence. Starting out in the U.S. with Sprint, Palm has nowhere else to go. I'm not sure about where you live, but only business pukes use Sprint anywhere around here. It's just not the family-friendly company (read: multimedia phones) that the other three are.
That's fine, but the Big Three in the US are Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. And it's only launching in the US right now.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2009, 12:04 AM

That's fine, but the Big Three in the US are Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. And it's only launching in the US right now.
Do you know anybody who uses Sprint? I sure as hell don't. The only people I've seen walking around with Sprint hardware are the PTT-pushing, contractor-type folks. Last time I checked, Palm was trying to market the Pre to the "hip" crowd (i.e., the iPhone crowd)...If I were Palm, I certainly wouldn't have inked a deal with a company who has tried and failed at capturing the "hip" people.
the geek source

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2009, 06:23 AM

It still baffles me why Palm went with Sprint for this phone. It's the only one losing customers and it has the worst phones on the market. Verizon isn't any better, imho.

But then again, Palm's God leader is Rubenstein, who used to work for Apple, so you know he didn't want to go with ATT for the Pre, then it would compete, and lose, against his former boss. He doesn't want that, now does he?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2009, 06:46 AM

The only reason I can think of is that sprint offered palm the most lucrative deal. ATT has the iPhone, and Verizon has the BB Storm which they were heavily pushing (until they realized customers hate it and weren't buying it)
~Mike

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
It still baffles me why Palm went with Sprint for this phone.
You've got it backwards:

The question is why SPRINT went with the PALM.

Phrased that way, the answer is obvious. You've given it yourself: They're losing customers and only have crap phones.

The phone that saved Palm may well also be the phone that saved Sprint.

Also, dare I remind everyone of how heated discussion was when Apple announced that they were going with AT&T exclusively?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2009, 10:31 AM

I read about that. apparently they have the Pre appear as an iPod to iTunes, and apparently it's something Apple can block, should they choose to do so.

I read an article on roughlydrafted.com about the multi touch tech being used by Palm, here's my opinion......
-Palm, like Apple is a competitor of M$ and Symbian on the mobileOS front.
-Right now Nokia and M$ still have the bulk of phones available in the market, in their corner.

I think it would be beneficial if Apple 'licensed/allowed' Palm to work with iTunes/iCal/iSync when looking at the smart phone market as a whole. what do you guys think of that ? it could be an interesting partnership against M$ and the others.

Also, looking at the software side of things... the cards metaphor is absolute genius. I wonder how it does its 'multi tasking'.... i expect it just saves the state of an app and then suspends execution to save battery life.... that would probably be the most battery efficient way to simulate multi tasking, as the flash memory is fast enough to save n load states.

That notification area at the bottom is just so apple as well..

And yea a few reviews have mentioned that it is 'plasticky', and i have to admit having a flip/slide/mambo/whatever phone is worry some as it probably will get loose or even break off..... but the pros are just so many.... wireless charging is definitely worthy of some kudos. (although i do suspect the next iPhone will have that).

Cheers

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You've got it backwards:

The question is why SPRINT went with the PALM.

Phrased that way, the answer is obvious. You've given it yourself: They're losing customers and only have crap phones.

The phone that saved Palm may well also be the phone that saved Sprint.

Also, dare I remind everyone of how heated discussion was when Apple announced that they were going with AT&T exclusively?
Hit the nail on the head. Also, who else would have even paid for the exclusivity? AT&T already has the iPhone, and they probably would have gotten into a world of **** with Apple if they would have brought the Pre on as an exclusive as well. Verizon seems to be putting their eggs in the Blackberry and LG basket, and the Pre would probably get lost in their array of phones. That only leaves Sprint, who didn't really have a competitor in that marketplace anyway so it fits perfectly for them.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2009, 11:07 PM

Thought I would chime in.. Picked up mine this morning.

The good.

Screen is beautiful

UI is butter smooth and multitasks well

Synch with Itunes works

Web browsing is 100x times better than the Instinct I got rid of and equal to the Ipod touch sitting on my desk

Network seems very quick with google maps

The bad.

App store is very weak

It does not feel as robust as the Ipod touch (so I am assuming the Iphone as well)

It's a little smaller than anticipated, but still feels good in my hand

Seems to be a great phone that is very competitive.
Joe

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 12:08 AM

Any comment on the quality of the hardware ? the keyboard ? the sliding thing ?

How's the video playback ?

Pics !! we need pics !

PS>> NYT's David Pogue's Palm Pre Review (amusing and analytical)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 7, 2009 at 05:21 AM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 06:27 AM

Saw this headline over at Fark a moment ago about the Pre:

Fans gather for launch of 'iPhone killer' Palm Pre - Total number of "Fans" 45
45 Fans!

I chuckled.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 06:51 AM

Oh, about the Pre. I have one of these cases for my iPhone. Is there anything like that for the Pre? How are people going to protect the phone?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 07:49 AM

I am wondering if Sprint is doing a bit of cooking or baking of the numbers here.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2009, 08:09 AM

It's not that sharp.. people have mentioned it is too sharp..

If you have big hands, the keyboard is not going to make you happy. I have fairly small hands for my size,so it works well for me. I type a little slower than my Ipod touch, but I am much more accurate and it is WAY better than the Instinct.

Youtube seems very clean.

The slider has a nice feel and seems very solid.

On the hardware side, the only thing I don't care for is the USB plug. It is a little stiff, but I am assuming it is going to loosen up.
Joe

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 08:22 AM

I guess you could call me an Apple fanboy since I've been using Apple products for almost 30 years. I'm an iPhone addict, but that does look like a nice phone. If it were with anyone else other than Sprint, whom I told to shove it several years ago, I'd probably look into buying one.

I wonder how long the slider will last? And did you see any protective cases for those things in the store?

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2009, 08:57 AM

The slider appears very solid. It feels spring loaded, but I don't know that for sure... There are some breakdown pics on the net right now and I am interested in seeing the internals.

They did have cases at the store, but I rarely buy accessories at the store since the markup is so significant. I all ready nosed around ebay and found a case I like..

I am located in Kansas City and used to do consulting work for Sprint. Not really a fan boy, but they are important to the city. That being said, their customer service and network have improved significantly in the past 2 years since I first picked them up. 2 years ago calling customer support was like venturing into the depths of hell. These days they are fairly prompt/courteous and english speaking..
Joe

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 09:50 AM

What's that hole?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post

What's that hole?

Microphone?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 11:27 AM

Nice one powerbook867, it looks really nice.

If there is one thing that I hope that Apple will copy it's the Pre's notifications. I think they're so smart.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 11:41 AM

YouTube - Leo Laporte Blows up at Mike Arrington on the Gillmor Gang - June 6, 2009

Watch Leo Laporte cuss out Mike Arrington (Sorta Pre related)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2009, 11:45 AM

Cheers for the pics powerbook867.

From the looks of it, it looks like a fingerprint/scratch magnet. Any comment on the durability of the enclosure ? (is the resin semi scratch resistant ? or is it like the first gen Nanos ?)

Did you get the wireless charging thingy ?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Cheers for the pics powerbook867.

From the looks of it, it looks like a fingerprint/scratch magnet. Any comment on the durability of the enclosure ? (is the resin semi scratch resistant ? or is it like the first gen Nanos ?)

Did you get the wireless charging thingy ?
From what I've read the entire unit is a fingerprint magnet, not just the screen.

The "wireless" charger is actually an induction charger - it's not really wireless but it doesn't require hooking a cord up to the unit. It's actually quite a cool idea, but at $70 for just a charger I doubt many people are going to be picking it up. Plus there are some issues with it (unit charges EXTREMELY slow and gets quite hot).

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
YouTube - Leo Laporte Blows up at Mike Arrington on the Gillmor Gang - June 6, 2009

Watch Leo Laporte cuss out Mike Arrington (Sorta Pre related)
I have a new respect for Leo. I always did like him on then-TechTV tv show, but now I think a bit more highly of him. Plus, listening to him say fsck you is priceless!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2009, 02:07 PM

The "wireless" charger is actually an induction charger - it's not really wireless but it doesn't require hooking a cord up to the unit.
Uhm, don't wanna be anal here, but isn't "not needing a cord" the definition of wireless ?

-t

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2009, 03:07 PM

It does attract finger prints, but no more so than my touch. I just wiped down the back hard and it appears to be scuff free so far, so it seems pretty robust. We'll see what it looks like in a month of me abusing it..

I did not get the charging station..yet. Gonna wait a little on that one and see what the reviews look like (I haven't even checked yet). I like the concept of it, but I need it to completely charge in 6 hours while I sleep. If it's not done in 6, then it is of no use to me..

Battery life appears to be pretty good, but not great. I have been on it since about 7:00 am and it had about 2/3 charge left. This was some heavy texting, a couple of email and mp3 playback in the car for about an hour.

Also, sync w/ Itunes works like a champ on all my non-drm stuff..

Overall, still fairly impressed. Worlds betting than the Instinct. Completely different class.
Joe

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Uhm, don't wanna be anal here, but isn't "not needing a cord" the definition of wireless ?

-t
I guess, but the phone needs to be placed directly on the charger. I have a charging station for my PS3 controller, but I wouldn't consider it wireless, would you? Only difference is that the Pre can be oriented in any direction for the charging to occur.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2009, 05:03 PM

Backlit keyboard is pretty cool.
Joe

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2009, 06:06 PM

I guess, but the phone needs to be placed directly on the charger. I have a charging station for my PS3 controller, but I wouldn't consider it wireless, would you? Only difference is that the Pre can be oriented in any direction for the charging to occur.
Well, I understand what you're saying, but it's kind of unintuitive.

Wireless doesn't start only at 3 feet distance (or whatever distance you pick). So even if it's just a few inches, it's still wireless.

I agree, in practice, this is a very limited wireless concept. But in the future, I'm sure that a couple of feet will be reached. At that point, we finally might be able to get rid of all the cables on / underneath our computers and desks.

-t

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2009, 06:46 PM

Well, I understand what you're saying, but it's kind of unintuitive.

Wireless doesn't start only at 3 feet distance (or whatever distance you pick). So even if it's just a few inches, it's still wireless.

I agree, in practice, this is a very limited wireless concept. But in the future, I'm sure that a couple of feet will be reached. At that point, we finally might be able to get rid of all the cables on / underneath our computers and desks.

-t
Unlikely. The best idea I've seen with this technology is a table or surface you could use to charge ALL of your gadgets. But induction charging will not lead to real wireless charging - it will have to come from a different charging tech.

Also, this isn't something that is a few inches from the phone - the phone is physically placed right on top of the unit. The distance between the charger and the phone is zero.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2009, 07:09 PM

Ok, I can see now how zero distance ultimately is not really wireless, even though it's not corded.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 7, 2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post

What's that hole?
It's for sex.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2009, 12:30 AM

Buttsecks ?

-t

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2009, 10:05 AM

Buttsecks ?

-t
I LOL'ed.
the geek source

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2009, 10:38 AM

Coworker picked one of these up over the weekend - I must say I am quite impressed. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I do not like the keyboard at all, but I'm guessing it's about as good as it gets for hardware keyboards.

One thing I noticed is that some applications (like the WiFi setup app) take an abnormally long time to open, even with no other apps running.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2009, 11:10 AM

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2009, 03:03 PM

Screen seems clean on mine, but I have seen the photos and it looks like some folks are definitely having issues.

Battery is making it through the day, but barely. I made some changes in hopes of giving me a little more wiggle room (turned off Wi-Fi at work, brought the brightness down some and email was checking every 15 minutes and I don't need it that frequently).

I am hoping through future updates that the power management will be tuned a little better. I know there is no way to exceed the physical limits of the battery, but I am hoping some optimizations can still occur to guarantee me a full day of heavy use..
Joe

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 01:40 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 02:37 AM

Quoted from the above article:

"There’s one major kicker. When the Pre is attached to a PC to sync media, it cannot make or receive calls or text messages!!! What the what?!? Palm doesn’t provide an explanation, but that’s just ridiculous."

If true, that's a deal breaker for me.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 06:09 AM

Now that's pathetic. You're out of communication while you charge. That's laughable.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 10:34 AM

I think the one-two punch of the 3Gs and the $99 dollar iPhone is hurting the palm more then any possible negative reviews right now.

What I don't understand is that they've been hyping this phone incredibly but did not ramp up production, from what I've read many stores ran out of inventory at lunch hour on saturday - and not because lines stretched around the block either. This is no way to Try to eat into blackberry/iphone market share.

I don't think the pre will fail but it won't enjoy the level of success palm had hoped and hyped for.
~Mike

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 10:53 AM

Palm's stock was down around 1.50 or so the day after launch. Many analysts were disappointed in the launch, with the scarce supply, no available working units to play with, and the employees using that as an excuse for why there were no units to play with. I think both Palm and Sprint screwed this up.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 11:25 AM

I agree with much of what is being said here. However, the device itself is very stable and also very usable when compared to the Iphone. The 99 dollars Iphone though is going to eat away at the Pre..if you want to stick w/ or move to AT&T. As a Sprint user, it is the best offering out there right now and does compete (just not on price or the app store).

I expect software updates will continue to refine the experience and improve the phone as a whole..and I am guessing a price drop will happen within the next 6 months..
Joe

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 11:47 AM

You can't fix the build of the device with software.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 12:07 PM

I suspect they didnt know what to expect as far as unit sales , and considering Palm has pinned it's survival(probably?) on this product they probably didn't want to(or couldn't afford to?) ramp up production until they could gauge demand. The last thing they'd want is a million Pre's sitting on store shelves with no one buying em.

They better replenish the store quickly with demo units if they expect to compete with Apple.

Powerbook867, how's it looking ? can u confirm whether or not communication freezes when ur synking the device with ur Mac ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM. )

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 12:27 PM

I laughed when Phil was like oh who's that one way at that botom there can't read that, they're small.

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing the pre discounted pretty quickly.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 12:37 PM

starman

Today, 10:47 AM
You can't fix the build of the device with software.

I am satisfied with the build of the device. I am not a fan boy and will be the first one to bash the crap out of it should I become dissatisfied. I love my ipod touch and it is the baseline from which I judge anything hand held anymore. It's one of the reasons I didn't like my Instinct and why I am selling it on Craigslist..

I haven't tested the phone freezing when it is charging or syncing, but I will tonight. I updated the software about 2 days ago and am at version 1.02.. My cable is at home, but I am very curious. I will report back this evening.
Joe

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook867 View Post
I haven't tested the phone freezing when it is charging or syncing, but I will tonight. I updated the software about 2 days ago and am at version 1.02.. My cable is at home, but I am very curious. I will report back this evening.
Cheers for the info mate. i guess the main reason i am considering this phone over the iPhone is the fact that it is smaller. Also, when putting media on there, can it be done through the finder or is iTunes the only way to do it ?

Cheers

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook867 View Post
if you want to stick w/ or move to AT&T. As a Sprint user, it is the best offering out there right now and does compete (just not on price or the app store).
While I'm not ATT fanboy, I have enjoyed good service and good support from them. The same cannot be said with sprint. In fact everyone and anyone I talk to about sprint, they just roll their eyes and are glad they're no longer with them, or aching to get out of the contract.

using the argument of choosing the Pre because its not ATT really does not hold up. Sure ATT shot themselves in the foot with having us wait till the end of summer of MMS/Tethering but in the scheme of things (at least for me) its not a huge deal. I enjoy great coverage, good customer service and a fair price for that service.
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules