Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Menu Bar

Menu Bar
misc
Apr 21, 2002, 04:36 PM

Okay, here is an interesting question. What extra features have you put into your menu bar(top right, near the clock). I'll start. From right to left: I've got my clock, A utility that tells me my CPU status and it also tells me network activity, The volume control, Airport Signal Strength, and a utility that displays the current temperature/weather conditions of the town I live.

Any other cool ones?

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 04:50 PM

while massiova was up it had a bad ass one, u could request mp3 radio songs threw yer MB, have book marked favs, and se the info of what was playing. was awsome,, shuld be back up soon

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2002, 05:41 PM

Right to left: ASM (mimics the pre-X app switcher), clock, ClassicSpy (to start/stop Classic & show its status), volume control, monitors contol, AppleScript menu, Process Wizard, Stuffit Magic Menu, Network Monitor and Snard (Apple Menu substitute).
Hmmm, wonder if I can fit in a few more...
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2002, 08:49 PM

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2002, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG> </STRONG>
and the one before and the two after stuffit deluxe would be?

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
<STRONG>and the one before and the two after stuffit deluxe would be?</STRONG>
and the one before and the two after stuffit deluxe would be...

P
Apr 21, 2002, 09:08 PM

All good tools, though I'd like to add PTHPasteboard - multiple clipboards. It is joined by Spy and the Apple standard tools.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 09:18 PM

I would be very interested to know the name of that temperature utility. I have been looking for one of those for a very long time, but i guess I haven't been looking hard enough.

Also Adam, what is that icon that looks like Omniweb?

Anyway my menu bar, from right to left readsL ASM (w/ divider, app name and icon), Airport, battery, clock (full text). That's it for me because I like to keep my menu bar uncluttered.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 09:28 PM

Sorry, I should have read the rest of the thread. This weatherpop thing is great. We finally have an answer to windows users who think weather bug is the coolest thing since point and click. The only thing I think it needs is a web link so you can check the extended forecast of your particular location. Oh and it also would be nice if it was actually a menu extra that way you could put it anywhere in the menubar that you like. I like having my clock as the leftmost item and this kinda ruins that. I have been waiting for this app for a long time and i was actually thinking of trying to write it myself this summer in an attempt to learn cocoa. Oh well.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2002, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
<STRONG>I would be very interested to know the name of that temperature utility. I have been looking for one of those for a very long time, but i guess I haven't been looking hard enough.

Also Adam, what is that icon that looks like Omniweb?

Anyway my menu bar, from right to left readsL ASM (w/ divider, app name and icon), Airport, battery, clock (full text). That's it for me because I like to keep my menu bar uncluttered.</STRONG>
Heh, both of your questions have already been answered in my previous post but anyway the temperature utility is called WeatherPop and the icon that looks like OmniWeb is ASM

Come on guys, post a screenshot of your menubar! A picture is worth a thousand words

Toyin
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 09:33 PM

Left to Right:
PTH Volume (uses the scroll wheel unlike the OSX Volume menubar app)
Weather Pop
Net Monitor (priceless)
PTH CPU Monitor
Applescript Menu
ASM (I don't use it as an application switcher, but if it's not in the menubar the dock autohide feature stops working)
OSX Clock (Analog)
PTH Clock
( Last edited by Toyin; Apr 12, 2004 at 09:28 PM. )
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
<STRONG>...The only thing I think it needs is a web link so you can check the extended forecast of your particular location...</STRONG>
You can do this by just click on the town name and you'll go to Yahoo's Weather page with your town's weather info.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Apr 21, 2002, 09:51 PM

[qb]

You can do this by just click on the town name and you'll go to Yahoo's Weather page with your town's weather info.
How come some people have access to the super-ultra-secret Apple MenuExtraAPI and others don't? If WeatherPop was a real MenuExtra, I'd sh!t my pants. But as of now, I just think it's wicked cool as opposed to sh!t-my-pants cool.

[Edited to keep the full effect of my post. Long live freedom of speech! MacNN ain't censoring nuthin' from my post.]

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Guy Incognito ]

yellar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2002, 09:55 PM

The best menu bar app that I have run accross (already mentioned) is PTH Clock. The calendar built in to that app is something I have always wanted on my desktop. Although its invisible most of the time, the other menu bar app that I use constantly is Launch Bar.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2002, 10:18 PM

Left2Rite... PTHclock, PTHpasteboard, PTHcpumonitor, the Apple clock (with a custom skin), Airport (customskin), Display (customskin), Volume (customskin), Battery, ASM with CPU monitor underlayed. DSX theme.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2002, 10:22 PM

Weather -&gt; Sound -&gt; Monitor -&gt; Clock -&gt; ASM

You know, I'd really like to see some kind of iTunes menu item. The functionality would be similar to the iTunes dock menu, but you could see the song title in the menubar. Call me crazy, but I'd like to see the name of the current track from any application without having the iTunes window open.

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2002, 10:34 PM

<STRONG>

</STRONG>
How can I get my weather in there?

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2002, 10:55 PM

Come to think of it....how do you even get stuff in the menu bar.

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2002, 11:39 PM

Some menubar extras are like Apple's, in which you drag to the menu bar. Others like WeatherPop, you launch it, and it puts the extra up there, but you can't move it around. And you set your weather by going to Set Location&gt;New Location in the menu from WeatherPop.

Edited to add my menu bar

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Andrew 8808 ]

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: Andrew 8808 ]

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2002, 11:42 PM

Thanks Andrew

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2002, 12:02 AM

This thread has gone more to the advertising for "WeatherPop"...however, I never would have downloaded this little jewel if it weren't for this topic...THANKS!!

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>

Left2Rite... PTHclock, PTHpasteboard, PTHcpumonitor, the Apple clock (with a custom skin), Airport (customskin), Display (customskin), Volume (customskin), Battery, ASM with CPU monitor underlayed. DSX theme.</STRONG>

No comments.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 12:33 AM

[img] http://brad.project-think.com/images/menus.png [img]

Pretty plain. IMHO, having lots of stuff up there is ugly and cluttered... like the tray in Windows' task bar.
( Last edited by misc; Aug 21, 2005 at 12:31 PM. )
The server made a boo boo. (403)

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
<STRONG>Some menubar extras are like Apple's, in which you drag to the menu bar. Others like WeatherPop, you launch it, and it puts the extra up there, but you can't move it around. And you set your weather by going to Set Location&gt;New Location in the menu from WeatherPop.

Edited to add my menu bar

</STRONG>
What theme is that in your shot?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 12:42 AM

How are you guys getting NetMonitor to display the numerical upload/download speeds? Is there a menu option I'm not seeing?

barbarian
Senior User
Apr 22, 2002, 02:16 AM

The one thing I'm looking for in my menubar is something that emulates OS 9's TaskMenuBar. It is the easiest and simplest way I know to see all your running apps in one place and to switch between them with a single click (and to quit them or open documents to them via a popdown). Anyway I keep looking for this. In the meantime I use DragThing's process dock and keep it just below the menu.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by barbarian:
<STRONG>The one thing I'm looking for in my menubar is something that emulates OS 9's TaskMenuBar. It is the easiest and simplest way I know to see all your running apps in one place and to switch between them with a single click (and to quit them or open documents to them via a popdown). Anyway I keep looking for this. In the meantime I use DragThing's process dock and keep it just below the menu.</STRONG>
there's a proof-of-concept called "Ambar" you can find on Versiontracker. not quite TMB, but could develop that way.

L to R:
PTH Pasteboard; a menu of my Documents folder I made with Menuversum; Volume, Battery, Clock, ASM

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: brachiator ]
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>How are you guys getting NetMonitor to display the numerical upload/download speeds? Is there a menu option I'm not seeing? </STRONG>
I just answered an e-mail asking just that question.

Actually, both parts of that (the numbers and the graph) belong to Net Monitor. The ability to display the "Text View" has been there since 1.7b1. The current version is 2.2b1. To show both in the menubar, simply click the menu, select View As, and choose either Graph & Text or Text & Graph.
[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Toyin
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>How are you guys getting NetMonitor to display the numerical upload/download speeds? Is there a menu option I'm not seeing? </STRONG>
If you click the NetMonitor in the menubar, Click 'view as'. There are options for text, graph, graph & text, text & graph. You can than customize the size and appearance of each element seperately
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2002, 09:41 AM

What is actually the point of Net monitors and cpu monitors? How do they help you?

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
[QB][/QB]
Re: Mickey Stxxxx

Dude, you should NOT post someone's real name on the forum if they didnt ask you to. Wether its him or not, if it was him he may not want his name broadcasted to the world... you should use better judgement.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 10:48 AM

What is actually the point of Net monitors and cpu monitors? How do they help you?
Net Monitor is a godsend. without it you might not even know if you are connected to the Internet. with it you might see traffic coming and going when you are not doing anything.

I use LoadInDock to watch my CPU usage. it shows me when I am putting a strain on my 576Mb Cube and would give me the reason why everything is acting so slowly at times, letting me know it's time to close some apps down.
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Ivan:
<STRONG>What is actually the point of Net monitors and cpu monitors? How do they help you?</STRONG>
Admittedly, there isn't much use for CPU monitors. Particularly on OSX, where you have Bad Carbon Ports (definition in this case: not using Carbon Events) skewing the results like mad.

Net monitors, on the other hand, can be very useful, in terms of monitoring the bandwidth you're using. Very good for diagnostics, or even just trying to get an idea of how fast that next download is likely to go.

[Oh yeah; and as if it didn't have enough advertisement in this thread, WeatherPop rules.]

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: Millennium ]
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 02:11 PM

So is there a way to change the order of some of these 3rd party menu items? Is it the order they load on startup (if you have them as startup items), or is it their names?

I would like to change the order, but have yet to try anything other than click-n-drag (which obviously doesn't work).

Thanks.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the NetMonitor tip guys. I can't believe I didn't notice that option for 5 months! Anyway, here's my boring menubar, just stock Aqua and a couple of third party additions...

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
<STRONG>ASM (I don't use it as an application switcher, but if it's not in the menubar the dock autohide feature stops working)</STRONG>
Use Yapasu. I used to use ASM just for the classic window mode in certain apps, but then I found out about Yapusu, which is made by the same guy who makes ASM. Yapasu has all of those extra app switching features as in ASM, but without the menu.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
<STRONG>So is there a way to change the order of some of these 3rd party menu items? Is it the order they load on startup (if you have them as startup items), or is it their names?

I would like to change the order, but have yet to try anything other than click-n-drag (which obviously doesn't work).

Thanks.</STRONG>
I think that if any dragging works it is cmd-click and drag.

Menuversum may be able to help reorder them, as well.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

as2
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 04:46 PM

Here's my menu bar...

From left to right...
Proteus (with mini aqua theme), Weatherpop, Net Monitor, PPP Monitor, Aladdin Magic Menu... you know the rest.

Not noticed anyone else using proteus. I find it much better than MSN, more reliable, and more discrete. I don't have to have my contact list viewable the whole time, and when I do it takes up much less space.

Adam

Edit: Sorry can't seem to spell today!

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: as2 ]
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 06:37 PM

Just added some things in my menubar. I really like OmniWeb 5.0's new menubar plugins. It's very useful but little buggy.

I noticed that latest beta of 10.2 have some new menu plug ins as well... such as mail.app or itunes but I can't confirm if they're actually real. Everything inside them seem real and work perfectly.

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2002, 06:43 PM

<STRONG> I really like OmniWeb 5.0's new menubar plugins. </STRONG>
And where did you get OmniWeb 5.0?!!!

And what is the itunes menu plug-in?

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Apr 22, 2002, 06:48 PM

<STRONG>Just added some things in my menubar. I really like OmniWeb 5.0's new menubar plugins. It's very useful but little buggy.

I noticed that latest beta of 10.2 have some new menu plug ins as well... such as mail.app or itunes but I can't confirm if they're actually real. Everything inside them seem real and work perfectly.

</STRONG>
I like OW 5.0...much better than 4.1 but Chimera still rulz!!!

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: oVeRmInD911 ]

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Apr 22, 2002, 06:56 PM

dp

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: oVeRmInD911 ]

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2002, 06:59 PM

Fell for your joke

Anyway, here's my menubar.

Left to right:
PTHPastboard, Proteus, SwitchPic, Daylite, WeatherPop, ProcessWizard, Sound, Airport, Battery, Spy, Clock, ASM

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2002, 07:19 PM

<STRONG> </STRONG>

MenuBarDock.app

Was there ever any doubt?!

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>

What theme is that in your shot?</STRONG>
It's the Stripeless Aqua, Smooth Stripes I think. Good stuff. I switch back to Aqua after a while, then I switch back to stripeless again. I like change I guess

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 12:17 AM

man WeatherPop is awesome! i was just saying to myself the other day how I wished there was a weather menubar app -- I had no idea there really was one.

I wish AIM had a menubar feature like in 9. If I could just keep message windows and my buddy list in a little icon in the menubar, that would be great.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2002, 12:40 AM

<STRONG>Just added some things in my menubar. I really like OmniWeb 5.0's new menubar plugins. It's very useful but little buggy.

I noticed that latest beta of 10.2 have some new menu plug ins as well... such as mail.app or itunes but I can't confirm if they're actually real. Everything inside them seem real and work perfectly.</STRONG>
The OmniWeb 5.0 thing is a joke, I take it.

However, it is possible for apps to make their own global menu items. This is how WeatherPop works, actually, and I'd bet that it's not the only one that works in this way.

For those developer-types out there who'd like more info, check out http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/.../uid/10000073i (boy, that's a mouthful of a URL...)
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 01:24 AM

so how do I get things OUT of my menubar??? In setting up a new machine, I copied my home directory from my iBook to the new machine, so that I'd have all the preferences set up already.

The only problem is that the new machine is a desktop, so the battery with an "X" through it is just wasting space. How do I get rid of it?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 01:29 AM

So Adam, are you going to tell us whether any of those things in your new menubar are real?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
<STRONG>so how do I get things OUT of my menubar??? In setting up a new machine, I copied my home directory from my iBook to the new machine, so that I'd have all the preferences set up already.

The only problem is that the new machine is a desktop, so the battery with an "X" through it is just wasting space. How do I get rid of it?</STRONG>
'Command + drag' it off the Menubar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules