Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Port forwarding in Airport Express?

Port forwarding in Airport Express?
simonmartin
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2005, 02:45 PM

Hi,

I tried to move an image to a client's Mac today, over aft (afp? Using the finder! :-) but couldn't connect, presumably beacuse he was on a wireless network with a NAT firewall.

How does port forwarding work in Airport express? Or is there a way to swithch the NAT firewall off temporarily?

I don't have a wireless network so I can't experiment myself...

Thanks

Simon
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2005, 04:35 PM

using an airport or airport express network you use the airport admin utility to configure it.

* open airport admin
* double click on your network
* click port mapping tab
* click add
* type in 548 (default afp port?) in public port
* type in the last numbers of his ip address
* type in 548 for private port
* click ok
* update airport

that will forward port 548 through his airport to his mac.

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
using an airport or airport express network you use the airport admin utility to configure it.

* open airport admin
* click port mapping tab
* click add
* click ok
* update airport

mdc,

Perfect! Thanks for that. I'll get him to give it a go tomorrow.

Simon
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by mdc

* open airport admin
* click port mapping tab
* click add
* click ok
* update airport

I need to forward port 1412 from my iBook through AirPort Express. I followed your instructions but they didn't quite work. The receiver on the other end gets a request from 10.0.1.3 which is my local IP (inside the AirPort range) while the IP that goes out and really should be doing the asking starts with something else entirely. 130 something.

I am at a loss. I admit these IPs and firewalls are beyond me, but surely I should be able to open up whatever I like on my own firewall (AP Express in this case). And it really shouldn't be this complex.

If anyone knows why the wrong IP adress is sent out, please let me know.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 07:40 AM

Wrong forum: should be in Networking.
If you would do a search there, you would find plenty of answers.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 09:14 PM

Funny how Appleman's post contains what ghporter wrote before. The hamster has really lost it now

However, can anyone explain in a simple way what port forwarding is, how one performs it and if at all possible why the private network IP shines through instead of the IP of the AirPort Express base station?

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Funny how Appleman's post contains what ghporter wrote before. The hamster has really lost it now

However, can anyone explain in a simple way what port forwarding is, how one performs it and if at all possible why the private network IP shines through instead of the IP of the AirPort Express base station?

cheers

W-Y
http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~steve/portforwarding.html (a simple Google gave me this, I mean it can't be that difficult to find out things nowadays...

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman
http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~steve/portforwarding.html (a simple Google gave me this, I mean it can't be that difficult to find out things nowadays...
Yeah thanks, but it is all greek to me. Networking is something that I seem to have a mental block for. Ah well, I'll continue googling until I find some more "human" explaination than

"The easiest way to imagine Port Forwarding is a combination of routing by port combined with packet rewriting."

because if that is the easiest way, then I don't stand a chance. What I see when I read the above is "The easiest way to imagine "this port forwarding thing I don't understand" is a combination of "uhuh" by "that thing I want to forward" combined with "aha hrm".

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2005, 10:48 PM

Port forwarding basically causes the router to send selected data to specified IP addresses based on the port the data was sent to. Ports are like subdivisions of an IP address and have many preset standard uses, such as port 80 for html/web data. Port forwarding lets you tell your router "I want all web data to go to my web server, all POP3 mail data to go to my user's mail server, and all SMTP mail data to go to my outgoing mail server" and have it all happen without any more interaction afterward.

The quote isn't wrong, just complex; communication depends on compatible protocols,and that includes using the right terminology for a given audience.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The quote isn't wrong, just complex; communication depends on compatible protocols,and that includes using the right terminology for a given audience.
True and thanks for the explaination. I have managed to understand the concept of port forwarding and how to do it so it works (at least it seems to) on the AirPort Express.

An explaination of port forwarding that also made good sense to me (with my limited networking knowledge) I found here: http://www.portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm

What I did to enable port 1412 on my iBook through AirPort Express was done thusly:

1. Open AirPort Utility and choose the base station and choose configure.

2. When the configure panel was open I chose "Mapa de Puertos" (in Spanish) I suppose it would be "port mapping" or something in English.

3. There I press "new" button and enter the port I want in both "public port" and "private port" and the IP address that the AirPort is allocating my machine. In my case that was 10.0.1.3

4. Press the "apply now" button which restarts the base station. After it reboots the deed is done. Port 1412 will be open for the machine that has 10.0.1.3 as IP.

There may be other ways of doing this, giving the machine a static IP or somthing but I am always allocated the same IP from the base station anyway so it works in effect as a static IP.

Hope this helps someone else!

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Forum Links
Forum Rules