Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7600's ROM

7600's ROM
misc
Aug 28, 2001, 03:26 PM

Okay, here's the deal. Someone recently threw away a 7600, but the problem is they took the rom stirp out ( don't ask me... ). Anywho, i can get a 7100 ROM card pretty easily, but would it work?

Thanks in advance.

[ Edit: Fixed spelling. ]

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: misc ]

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

misc  (op)
Aug 28, 2001, 03:30 PM

Whoops, i clicked on reply instead of edit....

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: misc ]

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

bluedog
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 05:05 PM

I have both a 7600 and a 7100. I don't think the ROM chips are the same size or configuration. I can double-check tonight, but I'm almost certain it wouldn't work. The ROM was machine specific because it contains the code to interface with the specific hardware. Going from a nubus to PCI simply doesn't sound right. The similarity with the 7300 and 7600 or 8600 would sound much more logically possible.

Sounds like a no-go to me.

misc  (op)
Aug 28, 2001, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by bluedog:
<STRONG>I have both a 7600 and a 7100. I don't think the ROM chips are the same size or configuration. I can double-check tonight, but I'm almost certain it wouldn't work. The ROM was machine specific because it contains the code to interface with the specific hardware. Going from a nubus to PCI simply doesn't sound right. The similarity with the 7300 and 7600 or 8600 would sound much more logically possible.

Sounds like a no-go to me.</STRONG>
The 7100 ROM will fit in the 7600.

I figured the only ROM that would work in the 7600 was the 7200, 7300, 7500, and selected 8x00s. Just wanted to check with you guys

Forum Links
Forum Rules