Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AOL Hometown (FTP) is going away 10/31

AOL Hometown (FTP) is going away 10/31
finboy
Oct 14, 2008, 09:08 PM

I thought I should give it its own thread since some folks are experiencing SERIOUS disruption out there.

If you or anyone you know uses a members.aol.com/ homepage or uses their available AOL space for FTP, please let them know that it's pulled as of the end of the month.

I'd hate to see anyone get caught by those bastards.

AND I know that AOL sucks, etc. Got it. Heard that. I've had my coursework stuff with them since 95 or so, on FTP (using Claris Homepage to edit it, to begin with). I know they suck, but redoing all that material sucks worse.

Just trying to spread the word.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 09:11 PM

This is just a wild guess but wouldn't AOL notify its members that the service is going away. I recall reading this a while back so it really shouldn't come as a surprise. Especially since AOL is struggling in vain to be profitable. Since broadband has taken off, AOL cannot compete, so jettisoning less profitable components of the company is just the beginning of the end.
~Mike

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 12:45 PM

My old AOL Homepage was my first web-site.

I used to keep poetry and pictures there, and developed a pretty good stream of traffic, but then the spammers came in and drove us all out of town. Today it's nothing but digital tumbleweeds.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
This is just a wild guess but wouldn't AOL notify its members that the service is going away.
AOL did notify its members. I almost never get Email sent to my old AOL name, but it came in earlier this month, I believe.

finboy  (op)
Oct 15, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
This is just a wild guess but wouldn't AOL notify its members that the service is going away.
AOL did notify members, it says, and we have banners now on every hosted page. But I never got the email (I'm on AOL daily and just happened to see the banner on 10/1). And, although I pretty much live on the net 12-14 hours a day, I never heard the announcement prior to seeing the banner. Finally, there seem to be people that even now are finding out for the first time, business sites and archives, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules