Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Wait, I thought all of Holland was a gun-free zone!

Wait, I thought all of Holland was a gun-free zone!
finboy
Apr 9, 2011, 04:43 PM

Seven people killed after man opens fire with machine gun in Dutch mall | Mail Online

Best line of them all:

Gun permits are difficult to obtain, but illegal automatic weapons and ammunition are frequently seized during drug busts.

Well, this guy must have been doing some illegal drug busts then, huh.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2011, 08:37 PM

That must be an error. Everyone knows that strict gun laws scare otherwise violent criminals into honesty.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
That must be an error. Everyone knows that strict gun laws scare otherwise violent criminals into honesty.
Too bad those folks weren't armed, someone could have done something about that.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 12:21 AM

Only in America!! ****ing Republicans

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 12:47 AM

"None of us are carrying automatic weapons because here, in this country, it don't add inches to your dick. You get a life sentence for it."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 01:40 AM

Yeah, try telling that to Snoop Dogg.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 01:45 AM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:15 AM

Do you think that easy access to guns might make impulse crimes a little more common? Just throwing this out there, I don't know how common impulse crimes are, if they even exist in some substantial quantity.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do you think that easy access to guns might make impulse crimes a little more common? Just throwing this out there, I don't know how common impulse crimes are, if they even exist in some substantial quantity.
Perhaps, perhaps not. It's immaterial.

Don't you think that perhaps allowing people to speak freely might cause impulse hate speech? Or "allow" people to spread dangerous ideas?

Maybe if we restrict religious rights, we could more easlily root out the "terrorists" or destructive cults?

Carrying a weapon is a right derived from the right to defend oneself in a manner determined by their own judgement, which is derived from the right to ones own life. It is not legitimate to suggest violating ones rights becaue someone else may act innappropriately or criminally.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:46 AM

Perhaps, perhaps not. It's immaterial.

Don't you think that perhaps allowing people to speak freely might cause impulse hate speech? Or "allow" people to spread dangerous ideas?

Maybe if we restrict religious rights, we could more easlily root out the "terrorists" or destructive cults?

Carrying a weapon is a right derived from the right to defend oneself in a manner determined by their own judgement, which is derived from the right to ones own life. It is not legitimate to suggest violating ones rights becaue someone else may act innappropriately or criminally.

Your ideology and moral take is immaterial, my comment was in response to your take on the effectiveness of policy. Violent criminals who shoot stuff probably don't do so out of protest because they haven't been granted the right to carry a weapon.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Yeah, try telling that to Snoop Dogg.
Why?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 03:32 AM

Your ideology and moral take is immaterial, my comment was in response to your take on the effectiveness of policy.
Oh, I forgot. Bessie likes to argue in his little box and doesn't like to expand into other substantive areas.

I revise my answer to: Yes, I can imagine that those laws may possibly have some effect on impulse crimes among those law respecting citizens who would obey them.

Next question?

Violent criminals who shoot stuff probably don't do so out of protest because they haven't been granted the right to carry a weapon.
Not sure what you are getting at here...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 03:57 AM

Oh, I forgot. Bessie likes to argue in his little box and doesn't like to expand into other substantive areas.
No, Bessie doesn't like the goal posts of the argument shifting without acknowledging my point.

I revise my answer to: Yes, I can imagine that those laws may possibly have some effect on impulse crimes among those law respecting citizens who would obey them.
It's not a question of whether the law would be respected, it's a question of deterring impulse crimes. A similar argument can be made against selling hard alcohol at gas stations. I'm merely presenting the argument here, I'm not making a statement about gun control because there are other factors to consider. Have you considered this one?

Not sure what you are getting at here...
I was just pointing out the irrelevance of your ideological beliefs in this context.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 04:43 AM

It's not a question of whether the law would be respected, it's a question of deterring impulse crimes.
If the law isn't respected, how can it deter anything?

A similar argument can be made against selling hard alcohol at gas stations. I'm merely presenting the argument here, I'm not making a statement about gun control because there are other factors to consider. Have you considered this one?
Yes I have.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2011, 09:08 AM

For a law to be respected, it needs to be enforced. To be enforced, it needs to be enforceable. The overwhelming majority of crimes involving guns in the U.S. Are committed with "illegal" guns - either stolen, in the possession of someone prohibited from having them, or weapons that are prohibited in general (and often all three combined).

Contrary to what some believe, bad guys don't just walk into "Joe's Gun Emporium" and buy guns. Instead they buy guns from other bad guys - stolen guns, illegally shortened guns, even machine guns - and head out to commit mayhem. The bad guys aren't stupid enough to leave a paper trail of legal gun purchases.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 10:05 AM

Have the less-strict gun laws in America resulted in lower incidents of violent crime? It is often argued that less strict gun ownership should reduce violent crime, but the sad fact is that if this shooting had occurred in the US, it would barely be news.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Have the less-strict gun laws in America resulted in lower incidents of violent crime? It is often argued that less strict gun ownership should reduce violent crime, but the sad fact is that if this shooting had occurred in the US, it would barely be news.
Have the more-strict gun laws in certain cities or states in America resulted in lower incidents of violent crime?

I would have thought that it was hard to compare different countries, in particular ones with a population difference of nearly 20 times. Guess that in places like Gaza, or Libya, or Algeria, things like this would barely be news either. But then again, wtf has that got to do with anything?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Have the more-strict gun laws in certain cities or states in America resulted in lower incidents of violent crime?

I would have thought that it was hard to compare different countries, in particular ones with a population difference of nearly 20 times. Guess that in places like Gaza, or Libya, or Algeria, things like this would barely be news either. But then again, wtf has that got to do with anything?
I don't think gun control, light or strict, is going to do anything to stop violent crime. Those who want to commit violent crimes are going to do it regardless of gun laws or the chance that their victim(s) might be armed (the vast majority of armed "victims" aren't going to pose much of a threat since they'd likely be too freaked out or unable to actually pull the trigger against an armed bad guy).

For me, the issue of gun control is to keep guns out of the hands of idiots who are more likely to harm themselves or those around them through their carelessness.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 05:40 PM

For me, the issue of gun control is to keep guns out of the hands of idiots who are more likely to harm themselves or those around them through their carelessness.
I'd like to start with cars.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 06:38 PM

Laws are for law abiding people, I really really hope you don't believe laws apply to Criminals?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Too bad those folks weren't armed, someone could have done something about that.
Or more people could have been killed during the gun battle.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 06:52 PM

Im going to toss this one out here, whats the point of having Traffic laws then. I mean if I want to drink and drive I should be able to. If I want to go 150kp/h in a 50 zone I should be able to. I mean whats the point of traffic laws? Its the same deal with guns. Laws on how to storage it, use it are for the benefit of every one that is going to be around you and your guns. Some of the rules might be a pain in the ass but its for the general safety of those around you. Storage rules to protect kids in your home. Transportation rules to protect against the use of a gun during a road rage incident or from being stolen out of your vehicle. As with anything out right bans are the absolute worst thing because it creates a very lucrative black market.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 08:01 PM

The key difference here is that gun ownership is a right while driving is a privilege.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The key difference here is that gun ownership is a right while driving is a privilege.
would that be with rules or with out rules.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 08:18 PM

You have confused me, sir.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 08:20 PM

mattyb is the one who brought up driving. Perhaps he thinks gun ownership should be regulated in the same way driving is.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 08:20 PM

well is your right to guns with or with out rules. IE law is passed that you have to wait 48 hours before you can purchase a gun. Well thats a rule isnt it. Rule is you cant bring a gun into a school. Thats a rule. Gun ownership might be a right but is that with or with out rules?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
well is your right to guns with or with out rules. IE law is passed that you have to wait 48 hours before you can purchase a gun. Well thats a rule isnt it. Rule is you cant bring a gun into a school. Thats a rule. Gun ownership might be a right but is that with or with out rules?
Okay I got you.

Yes, there are rules, but any given rule for drivers doesn't (usually) need to be assessed for its chilling effect on your rights.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 08:32 PM

mattyb is the one who brought up driving. Perhaps he thinks gun ownership should be regulated in the same way driving is.
We'd have to amend the constitution for that.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 09:00 PM

Are you in favor of laws, such as licensing and screening, for speech or religion as well? Seems to me the totally free exercise of those two rights could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Maybe we can test and license those who wish to speak freely about candidates? That way the ignorant, the stupid and the corrupt can't influance others. We could do the same for those who wish to practice religion so that we can be sure that they don't have any dangerous ideas.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 09:01 PM

We'd have to amend the constitution for that.
Again, not my argument. You should explain to mattyb why his comparison of gun ownership with driving is a poor one.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 09:04 PM

Legally, driving may be treated as a privilege, but I would argue that it is morally a right as well as being treated as a right in practice. It's certainly treated more like a right than gun rights are, at least in most places.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 09:09 PM

Okay I got you.

Yes, there are rules, but any given rule for drivers doesn't (usually) need to be assessed for its chilling effect on your rights.
Ok so you have a right to guns but does it say any gun, some guns? Does it say where you can and cant, or is it super broad?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 09:16 PM

simple solution, no license for the gun, just put the license on the Ammo.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 09:35 PM

Ok so you have a right to guns but does it say any gun, some guns? Does it say where you can and cant, or is it super broad?
As written, it's super broad. I have my own opinion, but it's really up to courts to interpret.

simple solution, no license for the gun, just put the license on the Ammo.
It's not like licensing systems don't exist. In Illinois, you have to register with the State Police if you want to own a firearm. You even de facto have to register with them just to rent a gun at a range.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 09:39 PM

Legally, driving may be treated as a privilege, but I would argue that it is morally a right as well as being treated as a right in practice. It's certainly treated more like a right than gun rights are, at least in most places.
Not a bad point. It's almost akin to being allowed to ride a horse, something I imagine the FF considered so inalienable as to not even need mentioning.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 10:27 PM

Laws are for law abiding people, I really really hope you don't believe laws apply to Criminals?
That's the point. If they are law abiding people, why do you need to restrict their freedom with more laws? Murder, attempted murder, assault etc. are already illegal, and general carry stiff penalties I might add.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 10:33 PM

I think that there can be a few limits (such as having a nuclear warhead in your basement ), but the nature of rights is that they are a right for you to choose for yourself what to say, whom to worship, what to believe and how best to protect yourself and with what. NOT the government or anyone else. To suggest that the government should choose for you is a denial of the principle of a right.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 11:18 PM

Or more people could have been killed during the gun battle.
Doubtful.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
When was the last time that (armed victims retaliating) happened in the US?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 12:43 AM

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2011, 01:20 AM

edited
( Last edited by PB2K; Apr 11, 2011 at 06:00 AM. Reason: forums suck)
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 01:37 AM

When was the last time that (armed victims retaliating) happened in the US?
Last month
Armed Beauty Queen Fatally Shoots Intruder in Florida Home Invasion - FoxNews.com
45/47

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 01:42 AM

PB2K "With a knife he wouldn't have been so effective."

I laugh at this. Only because if the guy had even minor training, your statement would be so false.

Big crowd+ crazy guy with ability to conceal knife + stealth = many injuries, and possible deaths if struck in the right place.

People wouldn't even know he were coming if he did random stabbings in the crowd, and got out semi-quickly.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 04:29 AM

I'd like to start with cars.
Again, not my argument. You should explain to mattyb why his comparison of gun ownership with driving is a poor one.
Those that oppose John or Jane Doe having a gun, usually bring up the argument about saving lives. Well if you want to save lives, start with cars and fast food places. My opinion is that those that oppose John or Jane Doe having guns just don't want John or Jane Doe to have guns, nothing to do with saving lives. 250 million cars and 200 million guns. Yet cars kill more than double the number of people each year in the US.

I don't have a solution for the large number of murders by firearms in the US, but I haven't seen any proof (from ANY country) that banning firearms reduces firearm related deaths.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2011, 06:43 AM

Those that oppose John or Jane Doe having a gun, usually bring up the argument about saving lives. Well if you want to save lives, start with cars and fast food places. My opinion is that those that oppose John or Jane Doe having guns just don't want John or Jane Doe to have guns, nothing to do with saving lives. 250 million cars and 200 million guns. Yet cars kill more than double the number of people each year in the US.

I don't have a solution for the large number of murders by firearms in the US, but I haven't seen any proof (from ANY country) that banning firearms reduces firearm related deaths.
The first step is to rephrase your last sentence. Replace "by firearms" to "WITH firearms," and that helps put things in an accurate perspective. Firearms don't do anything by themselves, any more than saws or spoons do. PEOPLE do things with the these objects, good or bad depending on what those people do with them.

In 2009 the traffic death rate in the US was the lowest it's been since 1950, with about 33,800 people killed on the highway. Highway death data is pretty easy to get in an unambiguous form; firearm related death data is almost always skewed by some political spin or other.

If we had raw data from which we ourselves could draw conclusions, the "secondary data" (information about where the other data comes from and such) points to something very interesting: a whole lot of "gun deaths" are within a small group of people who are involved in drug importation and distribution. As in "bad guys killing other bad guys." Random shootings are rare-very rare.

And frankly "machine gun murders" are almost unheard of in the US (though it's hard to get "reporters" to actually use accurate terminology to characterize a firearm in their reports, with "assault rifle" being used to describe just about everything). There is a very small "pool" of LEGAL machine guns in the US, which are sold among collectors at an extremely high premium (from several thousand to tens of thousands of dollars), and there is absolutely no evidence that any of these legal machine guns has EVER been used in the commission of a crime by the legal owner of that gun. Ever. Illegal machine guns? Probably a lot of them, and probably a lot less expensive to the bad guys, too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 06:57 AM

It should be noted converting a semi-auto to full-auto isn't very difficult, yet people don't do it very often because it's really illegal.

Also, unlike what happens in Hollywood, automatic weapons are meant for something very specific: keeping people's heads down while you change position. If you want to kill someone, you aim single shots.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Contrary to what some believe, bad guys don't just walk into "Joe's Gun Emporium" and buy guns. Instead they buy guns from other bad guys - stolen guns, illegally shortened guns, even machine guns - and head out to commit mayhem. The bad guys aren't stupid enough to leave a paper trail of legal gun purchases.
This is a great point, almost never touched on in these obligatory gun debates.

'Getting rid of the gun' is a common theme in assault/murder cases- pretty much a stereotype. Criminals know they can be tracked by ballistics so of course most of them (that don't want to get caught) don't get their guns from legit/traceable sources, and likewise get rid of the ones they use in violent crimes. Using the same gun over and over again spraying bullets with the same identifiable tool marks could be like waving a tracking beacon around.

The criminal use of firearms is pretty much an illicit practice from start to finish and passing gun laws will never have much effect on it.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2011, 04:57 PM

As written, it's super broad. I have my own opinion, but it's really up to courts to interpret.

It's not like licensing systems don't exist. In Illinois, you have to register with the State Police if you want to own a firearm. You even de facto have to register with them just to rent a gun at a range.
My point was that any attempt to control the gun in anyway be it usage, licenses and so forth gets people pissy about one thing or another. One seems ok and logical to one is a rights violation to another. So do away with the rules on the guns and put the rules on the ammo. After all a gun is a useless piece of metal with out the Ammo and the Ammo itself isn't protected as a right.

finboy  (op)
Apr 11, 2011, 05:05 PM

My point was that any attempt to control the gun in anyway be it usage, licenses and so forth gets people pissy about one thing or another. One seems ok and logical to one is a rights violation to another. So do away with the rules on the guns and put the rules on the ammo. After all a gun is a useless piece of metal with out the Ammo and the Ammo itself isn't protected as a right.
Yep, that was a strategy promulgated by the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Senator from Nu Yawk. And it's carried now by his protege, Lucky Chucky. There was even a (moronic) move to make bullets have an expiration date (so the Left would know when to start rounding up those they don't like i guess). It's never gone anywhere.

But according to the playbook, you're right on track.

Next, call your enemies "extremists" and you could probably get a job for Media Matters or some other Soros front organization. Good luck!

Can we make people buy a computer or cell-phone "license" when they want to get on the Internet? Would that be OK for the First Amendment? I mean after all, the Founding Fathers didn't mean that we should have "free speech" on all these things they didn't know about. They meant, at most, the right to publish what we want to in newsprint or as a pamphlet or book. How about we interpret the First Amendment the same way the gun-grabber types want to interpret the Second?
( Last edited by finboy; Apr 11, 2011 at 05:17 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules