Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2018 Pro MacBooks

2018 Pro MacBooks (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I also love the keyboard in my late 2016 (prefer it to any of the others from 25 years of Mac laptops), contrary to the amplified minority you read on the interwebs.
I’m confused by this one too. It’s one of my favorite keyboards.

P
Aug 7, 2018, 11:40 AM

The body of the 2016 MBP is thinner than a USB-A, HDMI or MagSafe 2 port. USB-A you could do with a flip down port, as others have, but it is not possible for the others. Apple could easily make MagSafe 3 though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Aug 20, 2018, 04:18 AM

Possibly relevant: HP has leaked a new batch of Intel CPUs, 15W quads with HD 620, that would fit nicely into a new low-end MBP:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13196...isclosed-early
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2018, 08:22 AM

I wonder how long ‘til they add wireless charging and ditch ports entirely.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I wonder how long ‘til they add wireless charging and ditch ports entirely.
For laptops ?

I don’t think technology is there yet. Wireless charging doesn’t provide enough power for that. Probably will need another technological breakthrough in wireless power technology. My guess is at least 5 years out for laptops.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Aug 21, 2018, 09:41 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:59 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Even IF that technology was there, a 100 W charger (wireless or not) needs to dissipate heat, so the design is not thermally efficient. Granted, a long flat charging pad can dissipate that better than a brick, due to the higher surface area to volume ratio. However... not when a 100 W charger is in constant contact with a hot metal laptop. Both would need to be cooled efficiently.
This doesn’t make sense.

The charger dissipating heat has nothing to do with the wireless charging mechanism.
Just think of the wireless matt replacing the tip at the charger cable. No heat is dissipated there.

Charger dissipate heat alright today, why would this change ?

-t

mindwaves
Aug 23, 2018, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The body of the 2016 MBP is thinner than a USB-A, HDMI or MagSafe 2 port. USB-A you could do with a flip down port, as others have, but it is not possible for the others. Apple could easily make MagSafe 3 though.
The Huawei Matebook Pro (a MBP clone, even down to the name and color space gray) is 14.6mm thick and the MacBook 15" is 15.5" thick. The Matebook Pro includes a full size USB A port and a better keyboard. I wish that Apple would do the same, but Apple won't.

The Matebook Pro even has rave reviews. The Verge even ranked it as their best laptop and I even bought one for my company (not for my own personal use).

I want a Macbook (Air or otherwise), a "low-priced" Mac with low-end to mid-range specs with a 14-15" screen. I only do PDF editing and Word documents for work and play Age of Empires 2 for enjoyment, so the large screen would do wonders for me and improve lap-ability.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/laptops/matebook-x-pro/
https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

P
Aug 23, 2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
The Huawei Matebook Pro (a MBP clone, even down to the name and color space gray) is 14.6mm thick and the MacBook 15" is 15.5" thick. The Matebook Pro includes a full size USB A port and a better keyboard. I wish that Apple would do the same, but Apple won't.
The 13" MBP is 14.9mm, but the main difference appears that the base of the Matebook is thicker while the screen is thinner. This comes down to the decision to move the webcam into the keyboard, which makes it effectively useless. I never use the webcam and wish they would remove it to make the frame thinner, but Apple clearly wants the webcam.

And I disagree that the keyboard is better.

I want a Macbook (Air or otherwise), a "low-priced" Mac with low-end to mid-range specs with a 14-15" screen. I only do PDF editing and Word documents for work and play Age of Empires 2 for enjoyment, so the large screen would do wonders for me and improve lap-ability.
With the exception of the display being 13.3", I think that this is what the updated low-end MBP will bring.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 23, 2018, 07:19 PM

[...deleted...]

P
Aug 24, 2018, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
This doesn’t make sense.

The charger dissipating heat has nothing to do with the wireless charging mechanism.
Just think of the wireless matt replacing the tip at the charger cable. No heat is dissipated there.

Charger dissipate heat alright today, why would this change ?

-t
Wireless chargers are less efficient than direct contact chargers, so it will create more heat than the current power brick for the same useful energy provided to the MBP.

mindwaves
Aug 28, 2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
With the exception of the display being 13.3", I think that this is what the updated low-end MBP will bring.
True, but I don't like what Apple thinks that less powerful laptops means smaller screens and more powerful laptops means larger screens.

P
Aug 31, 2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
True, but I don't like what Apple thinks that less powerful laptops means smaller screens and more powerful laptops means larger screens.
To some extent that is a a bit of a mistake. I don't think that the 12" Macbook should be the cheapest, necessarily - Apple could make a plastic iBook-like model as the cheapest. In general, though, those massive displays on laptops grew from people wanting to have a laptop because traditional PC desktops were big, loud, and ugly. Apple has a solution to that, called the iMac. The only reason for anyone to get a big laptop from them is if they really need a powerful, expensive laptop on the road. I would argue that the current 15" MBP is insufficiently pro right now.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2018, 12:10 AM

I would open my wallet right now if they brought back the 17”.

Ideally they should go bezel-less like everyone else has, same external dimensions but 12/14/16”.

Johnshaver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2018, 06:31 AM

I wonder if 15-inch MacBook Pro worth the money. I was looking at the specs but I have no idea what should I buy yet.

P
Sep 4, 2018, 10:54 AM

I can picture the complaints if Apple ditches the webcam with the 2020 models, but at some point I think it is fair of them to assume that people want to do their video chatting with their smartphones. Change the display back to 14.1” (like it was a decade or so ago) in the size of the 13.3” model or even a little bigger (the 13” MBP is smaller than the 13” MBA, and the 13” MBA was an extremely popular model, so the size clearly didn’t bother anyone) and make that the “main” model. It can have options from a dualcore with 8GB RAM and the shitty graphics to a quad with Iris Plus 655 and 32GB - and that’s the chips available today. Could be an even bigger CPU with better graphics (Intel is making their own discrete stuff now) by the time this launches.

Replace the 15” (really 15.6”) with something a little bigger, say a 17” 4K display, and make a true Pro laptop at the top.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Johnshaver View Post
I wonder if 15-inch MacBook Pro worth the money. I was looking at the specs but I have no idea what should I buy yet.
throw us a bone, what do you do for a living?

what are you going to use it for?

i'd say the 13", with the 8559U quad core, is pretty overkill for most people.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 6, 2018, 09:04 PM

[...deleted...]

P
Sep 7, 2018, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-1018.2135562/

^ Did Apple downgrade from a 10-bit display to an 8-bit display?
Apple never said that they used a 10-bit display, and mine isn't. Apparently some of the old ones were 10-bit.

Note that having a 10-bit display is a massive problem in some cases, because it puts a strain on the GPU. Gaming performance goes down. The fix is to allow the user to drop down to 8-bit (like Windows does), but of course Apple can't add a setting like that.

And does that mean that they're no longer using P3 if it's not 10-bit?
No, that is completely orthogonal. My desktop display is 10-bit but just sRGB, while my laptop display is P3 but 8-bit.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 7, 2018, 05:27 PM

[...deleted...]

P
Sep 10, 2018, 01:15 PM

The iGPU can also output 10bit, I do it every day from my 2016 13”. You can see it in System Profiler.

mindwaves
Sep 12, 2018, 02:09 AM

Would love to get an LG 4K ultra fine display but those monitors have not gone down in price at all...hoping for some newer models so these can be discounted.

P
Sep 12, 2018, 05:12 AM

That's not how Apple generally works, and high resolution P3 displays aren't cheap from anyone. If you don't care about P3, there are many cheaper options. It's not like those Ultrafines have Apple's design language.

I don't think we will see any new displays now. I suspect that we might get displays with the new Mac Pro, when that launches in the beginning of 2019 (supposedly).

Forum Links
Forum Rules