Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any commentary on the purchase of a new MacBook Pro?

Any commentary on the purchase of a new MacBook Pro?
pigmode
Nov 30, 2018, 01:01 PM

I have a non-touch bar 13” mbp waiting for p/u at the local Apple Store (8g memory). Researching the purchase at the Apple/Mac Forums of Doom (macrumors), I should be waiting for the 2019 version due to keyboard unreliability.

Aldditionally, I’d assumed this mbp would be perfectly suitable for the Apple 27” LG display. When looking into setup tips etc, I’m finding my new mbp would probably be a bit lagging in performance, to what extent isn’t quite clear. Perhaps I should not pick this one up, and re-order the Touch Bar mbp?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2018, 06:17 AM

My 2016 touchbar MacBook Pro keyboard is no less reliable than any of those I had before. I get crumbs under individual keys every few weeks or months, but blowing into the gap around the key has always resolved this — same as with the chicklet keyboards of my 2007 MacBook and 2011 MacBook Pro.

pigmode  (op)
Dec 2, 2018, 06:37 PM

Thanks. I ended up taking the non-touch bar MBP, and will look into the 21.5 Apple/LG display, or perhaps step up to a 27" iMac.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 2, 2018, 07:06 PM

I have no idea where anyone gets that the 13" non-touch bar MBP's keyboard is "unreliable." How so? How often? On mine the answers are "not at all" and "never."

pigmode, you are unlikely to have any problems with that machine. Enjoy!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Dec 2, 2018, 08:55 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:10 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2018, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Presumably it's the same amplified minority that has disliked every butterfly keyboard mechanism since 2015 and had a few stuck keys in Pro MacBooks since 2016. In my 2017 Pro MacBook 15", I would occasionally have a stuck R key that was quickly remedied by a few repeated taps in rapid succession. It's been over a year and the problem has not came back...and I am not a "softie" typer either. Quite frankly, I prefer the butterfly keyboard mechanism compared to the previous mechanism, because the butterfly keyboard mechanism keeps the keys consistently flat and level even after a year of lots of typing.
Thanks. That’s an explanation, anyway. Not a “real reason” to say the keyboard is “failure prone” as far as I’m concerned...

This is way less of a significant criticism than the “glossy versus matte” screen issue from years back. At least there were functional arguments to be made in that discussion: color rendition and sharpness versus brightness and glare control.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2018, 03:23 AM

Actually, brightness came in favour of the glossy screens as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2018, 07:13 PM

But the “crispness” argument for glossy was pretty loud for a while. And both had real, valid, functional data on which to base their preferences. Having a relatively rare issue with a key mechanism morph into “prone to failure” is like the single “one star” review somebody gives a hotel because they got “asked to leave” for bothering other guests...

Forum Links
Forum Rules