Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*
Lattimer
Sep 24, 2003, 05:15 PM

Everyday it seems someone is asking for links to bags to fit their new 12/15/17 Powerbook. I thought it would be a good idea to dedicate a thread to listing all links/comments/reviews of bags and such right here. I've semi-compiled a list based on the first search page I did on this forum for *bag*. Everyone chime in with your additions! Here we go:

Waterfield Designs - cases/sleeves
Booq - cases/sleeves
Tom Bihn - everything
Kensington - everything
Brenthaven - cases
Marware - cases/sleeves
Incase - everything
ACME MADE - cases/sleeves
MacCase - everything
Dr. Bott - everything
Crumpler Bags - messenger bags
Timbuk2 - messenger bags
Chrome Bags - messenger bags
Shinza - cases/sleeves
Kata - everything
Spire USA - backpacks/sleeves
Boblbee - backpacks
Tumi - everything
R&R Cases - hard cases
ZERO HALLIBURTON - hard cases

Lots o' bags:

eBags
BagsForMe
Bagreview
Macro Luggage

Update #1:

Bailey Works - messenger bags
Ortlieb USA - everything
RadTech - sleeves/accessories
Shaun Jackson Design - bags/sleeves
Targus - everything
Willow Design - everything

Update #2:

Pelican Case - hard cases
Tenba - cases/bags
Victorinox by Swiss Army - everything
( Last edited by Lattimer; Mar 21, 2005 at 06:58 PM. )
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 05:20 PM

you are totally right,
this thread shold be a sticky

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 05:26 PM

Jambags Home of the MacCase binders, sleeves, and backpacks

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 05:34 PM

Bookmarked! Thanks!

(I'm seeking a 17" sleeve that JUST fits it eaxactly, without a buckle.)
nagromme

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2003, 05:48 PM

There is a nice thread on this from MacIntouch, too.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 05:53 PM

you missed out Radtech:

http://www.radtech.us/

I've just ordered the powerbook sleeve from there as i've already got a nice laptop bag from Muji.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 24, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Jbroad572:
Jambags Home of the MacCase binders, sleeves, and backpacks
It's in the list, under "Mac Case"

More

Eciton
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 06:21 PM

Lattimer, that's great work - thumbs up. On my bookmark list now too...

Anyone want to make this a sticky?

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Eciton:
Anyone want to make this a sticky?
Definitely.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 10:20 PM

I have browsed all of the links in the above thread, and i found a new favorite bag! But i want to see what it's interior looks like.

The Tom Bihn Hipster Laptop bag. The site has NO pictures of the interior of the bag, maybe someone who owns one can snap a pic for me?

Thanks

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 10:25 PM

I take it the Cargobag from waterfield will not fit the 15inch pb?
http://www.sfbags.com/PRODUCTS/CGM_INFO/cgm.htm
Medium Cargo $189 Soft Case 16� x 12� x 3� / 2.9 lb.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:
Bookmarked! Thanks!

(I'm seeking a 17" sleeve that JUST fits it eaxactly, without a buckle.)
Nice work...A labor of love!
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
I take it the Cargobag from waterfield will not fit the 15inch pb?
http://www.sfbags.com/PRODUCTS/CGM_INFO/cgm.htm
Medium Cargo $189 Soft Case 16� x 12� x 3� / 2.9 lb.
You can always email the guy from that site, his customer service is great.... i talked with him the other day here is what he said

"The best cases for your new 15" Powerbook are

Medium Cargo
Large Cargo
Small Cozmo
Large Cozmo
15" Racer-X"

n_lim
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 11:43 PM

Lattimer,

Thanks very much for your efforts. Been looking for a slim sleeve that was a bit different than the norm and wasn't totally overpriced. Just ordered a Zeroshock sleeve for my 12" from Shinza in red! Will let you all know how it turns out when I receive it. Currently using a louis vuitton dust bag from my girlfriend's purse as a thin sleeve ala radtech. It actually fits incredibly well, but is more ad hoc than I would like.

Thanks again and this should definitely be a sticky!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

baseten
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 12:39 AM

Pelican cases are rad. I have a pelican 1490. my tibook 400 has called it home for a bit over 2 years traveling to / from work every day and about the country. My tibook looks surprisingly good for as many times as it's been around the block...

plenty of room, looks the business, tough as nails. give them a look.

http://www.pelican-case.com/pelican-flashlights/

-tibook400
-albook1ghz on order
-various other beige boxen

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 12:46 AM

Lattimer: Great work. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. If there was an award for "Most Useful Thread of the Month" yours would definitely win!

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 25, 2003, 01:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words...looks like I have votes for the most useful thread and least useful thread as well: Stupid Question

More

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 02:07 PM

Radtech just earnt itself 19 pounds for your efforts.

Sadly however i wasn't impressed with the bag makers, some were nice but didn't ship to the UK and the rest were ugly.

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 03:08 PM

Quick vote for Willow Design. Their cases are simple, light and guaranteed for life. Never a problem with one yet...

mikasa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:28 PM

Victorinox (the swiss company) makes a nice little laptop case protective sleeve type deal that works amazingly with my PB15". great for carrying it or even throwing it in a backpack or soemthing, without getting too professional with a suitcase type deal. it shouldnt cost more than 55$ or so and even comes with a strap. they sell them at Mori Luggage and the 'nicer' luggage places. i got the one that slides in the laptop from the side rather than the top because it wont fit in the top one.

http://www.gearshark.com/finder/deta...8539.html?no_f

works pretty well. thought id add in.

e

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:42 PM

Here is one more for the list. Tenba makes camera bags and has a line of products especially for the new powerbooks.

http://www.tenba.com/

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 09:45 PM

Does anyone else know sites that sell messenger bags that would be a good combo with the sleeve from Waterfield or another company. I'm considering purchasing a waterfield sleeve, but i want a messenger bag as well. I've visited every site i can find, still looking for that perfect messenger bag.

Lou

ewiser
Sep 26, 2003, 05:48 AM

Check out Chrome bags. Should be added to the list above.Chrome messenger bags and sleeves

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 26, 2003, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by ewiser:
Check out Chrome bags. Should be added to the list above.Chrome messenger bags and sleeves
It's on there under "Chrome Bags".
More

Joelwins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 08:25 AM

In the UK, check out TechAir...

I have one of their backpacks (Libera), and although it's a little boxy, it seems very protective. Big enough for my 15" TiBook, possibly too small for a 17" and overkill for a 12".

Great thread, BTW!

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 10:29 PM

I just wanted to give a 2 thumbs up to Waterfield Designs?!?! I ordered a bag Thursday afternoon, great customer service. It made it here today with ground shipping. I must say GREAT SERVICE. The price tag is WELL WORTH IT.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Bruck:
Does anyone else know sites that sell messenger bags that would be a good combo with the sleeve from Waterfield or another company. I'm considering purchasing a waterfield sleeve, but i want a messenger bag as well. I've visited every site i can find, still looking for that perfect messenger bag.

Lou

what purpose does a sleeve serve if your 'book is already in a bag or case? is it supposed to be in addition to? or just another option to carry? thanks for your input!

nick
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

wavegroom
Sep 28, 2003, 03:56 AM

I got a sleeve from waterfield design, it's the only sleeve I know, that has changed the size for the 15" alu. So it should fit perfect!

wavegroom
Sep 28, 2003, 05:11 AM

there is another firm, not mentioned on this list.... from switzerland

http://www.zahara.ch
sleeves and bags

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 05:28 AM

One more for the list: ZeroShock sleeve.

@ Shinza.com

slider
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 10:01 AM

Definately should be a sticky. It make more sense than the stipid paper sticky in the peripherals forum.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 10:51 AM

I'm in the UK and found a nice bag complete with separate sleeve in John Lewis. It's part of their tackily named 'Jonelle' range but at �39.95 it's perfect for my 12" PB and would also suit the 15".

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 06:28 PM

Nick, a sleeve can be used alone, if it is like the Waterfield sleeve where optional D-rings and a removable strap are available. Less to carry than a larger bag, but little or no space for other items like a Coolpad or mouse.

Or the sleeve can be used when the portable Mac is carried in a courier bag, where it adds additional protection, particularly if the larger bag doesn't have sufficient padding.

Lou, you don't like the Waterfield messenger bags aka Courier bags? They are designed to be used with a SleeveCase.

Here is a well-written review that includes a lot of exterior and interior photos of the Courier and SleeveCase separately and together:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/waterfi...go-review.html
( Last edited by Mojo; Sep 28, 2003 at 07:09 PM. )

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 28, 2003, 06:48 PM

A lot of people are requesting this be made a sticky, so I emailed the mods and asked if they could hook that up. We'll see what happens!

BTW-The list is growing, but I'm sure there's more bag makers out there...let me know who they are so I can add them to the list!

Lattimer
More

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2003, 08:12 PM

timbuk2 also make bullet-proof laptop sleeves that rock: http://www.timbuk2.com/products/laptopsleeve.html

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 08:47 PM

I just bought a Timbuk2 ("Commute" style) for my Al 15" and it's great. Waterproof lining is what sold me. I always seem to wind up having to walk for a half hour through torrential rain with my electronics, and there was no way I would trust my PB to any non-waterproof bag.

The bag looks really cool and has lots of smartly designed pockets and pouches for accessories. The one drawback is that it doesn't come with shoulder strap padding, but Timbuk2 makes add-on ones that match the bags.

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 09:55 PM

I love my Timbuk2 bags. I've owned three, currently have two (the 2nd-largest messenger bags). I'm skeptical if they would serve me well for my CPU, however, as they have less internal structure than others (and the Waterfield's "standupable" bottom seems better than my constantly-falling-over Timbuk2s).

Man, the Timbuk2 is comfy though. I think I'll go have another look....

geeoff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by KP*:
I just bought a Timbuk2 ("Commute" style) for my Al 15" and it's great. Waterproof lining is what sold me. I always seem to wind up having to walk for a half hour through torrential rain with my electronics, and there was no way I would trust my PB to any non-waterproof bag.

The bag looks really cool and has lots of smartly designed pockets and pouches for accessories. The one drawback is that it doesn't come with shoulder strap padding, but Timbuk2 makes add-on ones that match the bags.
I was really interested in that bag, but the specs on Timbuk2's web site for the laptop compartment looked too small for my new Al 15". Does it fit alright? Have you had a good experience with it yet?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 28, 2003, 11:45 PM

I emailed Spire today at 7:30pm to ask if the 15" AlBook fits in the Endo case... they responded in two hours, on a Sunday!! (And when I asked if they were every going to bring back green as an option, she said she'll tell the designers... that's what you get when it's a little company.)

If that's not awesome service, I dunno what is.

tooki

P.S. The new 15" does fit.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 12:26 AM

Thanks for the list.

My laptop sleeve from Waterfield Designs just arrived. It proudly says "Made in San Francisco", and is a really nice product with good workmanship. Something that I will be proud to carry around with me all the time.

Now all I have to do is to get the 12" powerbook.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 01:40 AM

All this got me to thinking that I should just go ahead and order a Medium Cargo Suite from Waterfield. They will deduct the purchase price of a previously purchased SleeveCase from the suite price if you mention the earlier purchase in the special instructions field when ordering. Neat!

It should be here Wednesday.

I also think that it is a nice touch that the Waterfield bags are made right here in the good ol' USA and not in some Third World country for pitiful wages/maximum profits.

ae77
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by cobra27:
Thanks for the list.

My laptop sleeve from Waterfield Designs just arrived. It proudly says "Made in San Francisco", and is a really nice product with good workmanship. Something that I will be proud to carry around with me all the time.

Now all I have to do is to get the 12" powerbook.
I second the recommendation for Waterfield Designs (sfbags.com). Nice bag, nice people.
^_^

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by geeoff:
I was really interested in that bag, but the specs on Timbuk2's web site for the laptop compartment looked too small for my new Al 15". Does it fit alright? Have you had a good experience with it yet?
I was very worried too when I was looking to buy it. They don't give the compartment specs on the tag like a lot of companies do, and I could tell it would come down to fractions of an inch. I asked the guy at the store if I could return it if it didn't fit, and he actually went and got a measuring tape, which revealed the slot to be about .2" longer than the PB when fully stretched. So as soon as I got home I slipped in the AL 15", and it just makes it. I was very relieved, cause I was in love with the bag.

michael_on_mac
Sep 29, 2003, 01:30 PM

Hi folks!

Could we add some information if these companies did successfully deliver to Europe or have retailers here?

Thanks!

Michael.
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 06:02 PM

Just an update for the shinza.com site.

If you're making an order from Canada, be sure to specify in the comment area that you want USPS (if that's what you chose) because they may ship it out via UPS (UPS is a ripoff for Canadians, so avoid it at all cost).

I ordered the sleeve, and they sent it out via UPS even though I chose USPS (don't worry, they've corrected it) because they said it was safer cuz it provides tracking.

However, I've imported many things via usps and they've always arrived, so no worries there.

gostan
Sep 29, 2003, 08:53 PM

I have been using a Waterfield Designs Cozmo bag and sleeve for my Ibook for over one year and the bag is still in fabulous condition. As a result, my ibook 800 is still in pretty good condition. But, I need a bag for my two day old 15Albook. I cannot decide between the large and medium Cargo Bag. I gather that the large Cargo is 5 inches wide vs. 3 inches wide. Can anybody comment on which Cargo you have and how much you can fit inside?

msingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 09:29 PM

MEC carries these really high quality bags made by Blurr. I bought the Blurr Legal model, and it is the most bombproof of all the TiBook 15" bags I've seen - and the price, at $93 Cdn is the cheapest of the courier style bags I've seen.

Check them out!

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 10:51 PM

Gostan, check out the link to a review I provided in an earlier post. The reviewer purchased a large Cargo bag, and there are pics of everything he puts in it, both outside the bag and stuffed inside.

That might help you decide which size is best for you.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 11:41 PM

I ordered the PowerSleeve15 from Booq (see the ads above) using the MacNN code. 38.21 plus 5.92 = 44.13 total, with FedEx ground shipping on the 28th. With my iBooks I used the Incase sleeve, but didn't feel like they offered enough protection for the price.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

gostan
Sep 30, 2003, 06:20 AM

Mojo
Thanks for the response. When I follow the link, it leads me to additional user reviews of the Cargo Bag(s). I have to make a decision today as my AlBook is too precisous to continue to reside in my padded backpack. I don't think that I require all of the room of the Large Cargo and I am leaning in the direction of the Medium Cargo. Now, if only the prices of the 1 g memory chips would drop in price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules