Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can anyone else hear it?

Can anyone else hear it?
Tiresias
Nov 4, 2011, 11:22 AM

The hum of a distant air conditioner, the flicker of a dying fluorescent tube, and the heart-sickening death rattle from the throats of the dwindling straggle of MacNN lounge regulars?

I returned recently after a roughly two year hiatus, and I have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed.

This place used to be abustle with sundry colorful personalities who, no matter how flippant or silly the OP, were always ready with a sardonic quip and a hilarious GIF image.

I dedicate this thread to cats who want cheeseburgers, hapless gymnasts devoured by great white sharks, philosophical raptors and to the glory days of the house formerly known as the one that shenanigans built.

Good night, ladies; good night, sweet ladies.

Goodnight.

Goodnight.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2011, 11:39 AM

Apparently it's because MacNN news page no longer links to the forums.
straight face
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2011, 11:44 AM

It's also because of the mods, no Abe, too much besson3c, the PWL, no Steve Jobs, Facebook/Twitter/etc., and probably Obama.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I dedicate this thread to cats who want cheeseburgers, hapless gymnasts devoured by great white sharks, philosophical raptors and to the glory days of the house formerly known as the one that shenanigans built.
What about the HaHa Pirate? He at least deserves an honorable mention.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
It's also because of the mods, no Abe, too much besson3c, the PWL, no Steve Jobs, Facebook/Twitter/etc., and probably Obama.
All that's left on these forums is the NN 1%.

beb
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2011, 12:32 PM

I used to do this animated GIF called "itty bittie stevie." Then steve got sick. I dunno maybe I should bring it back and call it "Itty bitty timmy." Duke MBA. Until recently, Tim always had to live in the shadow of the über ego. And now he gets to deal with hundreds of other egos. Yeah, great job if you ask me. What is the Truman movie line? "I don't know if any of you have had a bale of hay fall on you. Well, I feel like the sun, the stars and all the planets just fell on me."

HR Managers always love to use the line: "You are replaceable." That is complete B.S.!!! Steve is not replaceable. I was used to rootin' for the always as-described-by-the-press "beleaguered" company. We all knew it had potential, the means to be great and powerful and sooner or later the dominios would fall into place. And then bang, it took off with all of the force, power and thunder of a Saturn V rocket. We're goin' to the moon f---ers! See ya on the flip side! And they really did! They actually pulled it off! And then...

With all of the candles, post-it notes, and the unbelievable press coverage, the only thing that kept popping in my head after his death was the "Oh What a Circus.." song from Evita. Well, I'm sorry, but I'm not rootin' for the big multinational anymore. I gotta root for the "beleaguered" country now -and the Redskins really suck this year. Now I give Apple lots of credit for designing its stuff stateside. But it still employs thousands elsewhere to manufacture and assemble all of it. And while I am glad that a consequence of this practice is a more peaceful world and that lots of folks are employed. It still does nothing to help solve the inequalities, unemployment and issues stateside.

So when you ask "Where are all the personalities?" We're still here. I think we are still in some kind of funk/shell-shock. But at this point, we're stockin' up on oranges, decks of cards and canned goods. And my Chick-Fil-A window person tells me to have a "blessed day." No, I don't think I will. Uh... What is with these weird Ketchup packets?
( Last edited by beb; Nov 4, 2011 at 01:00 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2011, 01:32 PM

Well...you certainly showed us.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
What about the HaHa Pirate? He at least deserves an honorable mention.
As does...

*waitforit*

Ca$h!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2011, 02:23 PM

Bring back Ca$h, need more car fights arguments discussions!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2011, 10:24 PM

We used to have that here? I don't remember that! MacNN used to be a mini failblog? I remember the Quaker, the "ripe" meme, etc

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2011, 12:15 AM

When he says glory days i think he means DBGFHRGL!

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2011, 11:11 PM

well like with anything, if a site/business hasn't 't evolved with the times, in the past decade, then it's bound to eventually fall. This site has been passed up by more updated hobbyist sites with photo albums, more topics... and such sites as city data etc., which is more local.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I can do an impression:

Your M3 is so ****ing gay. My ****ing Audi has 500 ****ing horsepower and ****ing all-wheel drive so I can use it to tow my ****ing boat in the ****ing snow. Dumbass.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2011, 02:29 AM

It's just not the same.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2011, 07:12 AM

You've been drinking too much Tiresias.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2011, 02:31 PM

How can it not be deafening in here? A thread on circumcision - of all things - just got moved to the Pol lounge. Apparently, anything at all of a nature whereby people might not all happily agree and therefore actually want to talk about it, gets moved out of the Lounge. Yay.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2011, 05:09 PM

Sorry, that sound was just me. I had beans for lunch.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
How can it not be deafening in here? A thread on circumcision - of all things - just got moved to the Pol lounge. Apparently, anything at all of a nature whereby people might not all happily agree and therefore actually want to talk about it, gets moved out of the Lounge. Yay.
I pointed out in that very thread WHY that had to happen. I can't quote it to you, because I can't see the thread anymore.

But it's the ridiculous soapboxing, followed by the utterly idiotic typecasting of ANY disagreement as a leftie/rightie issue that makes ANY kind of intelligent discourse completely impossible.

The Political Lounge encouraged that, and drove away everybody interested in reasoned discussion of subjects they might actually be interested in.

The idiocy between hyteckit, Athens, and ebuddy in that thread very nearly drove ME away from this forum.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2011, 06:07 PM

I agree entirely. The PWL has no place on this board - it does nothing but encourage bitter feuding, and it now has a contingent of members who post solely to it or elsewhere only with the intention of derailing threads to the point of having them moved there.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I agree entirely. The PWL has no place on this board - it does nothing but encourage bitter feuding, and it now has a contingent of members who post solely to it or elsewhere only with the intention of derailing threads to the point of having them moved there.

Exactly what I said in the feedback thread.

Seems to me we have a decent amount of longtime members completely disgusted with the PWL, and those who defend it's existence are either newer members or people who's only interest in these boards is to argue about politics...with a few exceptions.

iM@k
Senior User
Nov 6, 2011, 07:08 PM

I can feel it....
What, me worry?

iM@k
Senior User
Nov 6, 2011, 07:09 PM

Comin' in the air tonight.....
What, me worry?

iM@k
Senior User
Nov 6, 2011, 07:10 PM

Oh Lord....

Please for the love of all that is good and right, help me out here, and sing this together as a group: drum playing gorilla and all
What, me worry?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2011, 07:27 PM

And I've been waiting...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2011, 07:48 PM

for the snowman for all of my life....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2011, 08:25 PM

Reported®

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2011, 09:10 PM

I don't think that's really the next line of the song....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2011, 03:37 AM

Do you reMEMBER?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2011, 04:35 AM

I remember Bill Murray.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
But it's the ridiculous soapboxing, followed by the utterly idiotic typecasting of ANY disagreement as a leftie/rightie issue that makes ANY kind of intelligent discourse completely impossible.
Well hey, I've advocated for years that such name-calling should result in penalties of some sort, but I guess that's what the Pol Lounge was supposed to be about. But it's not as though the Pol Lounge rules are followed any more; post-and-running is such a common and routine practice that it was pointless to even point it out, by the end of my time in there.

I agree completely with your statement, but I completely disagree that "moving to the Pol Lounge" should be the answer; I think forum rules and moderation to discourage or swiftly penalize such political characterizations would allow one large, interesting forum with varied topics for anyone's taste. In its current forum I think the Lounge is a dead end, and over the past year almost every time I come here I wonder why, and whether I should again.

Anyways, yadda yadda yadda.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I pointed out in that very thread WHY that had to happen. I can't quote it to you, because I can't see the thread anymore.

The Political Lounge encouraged that, and drove away everybody interested in reasoned discussion of subjects they might actually be interested in.

The idiocy between hyteckit, Athens, and ebuddy in that thread very nearly drove ME away from this forum.
Quoting because it's so true.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2011, 10:02 AM

I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2011, 10:03 AM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

iM@k
Senior User
Nov 8, 2011, 04:32 PM

Wow! It's like there's a party in my pants and the HA HA Guy is invited!
What, me worry?

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2011, 05:21 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2011, 05:13 PM

I got sucked into the whole PWL years ago, and wound up regretting every single argument. Nothing is ever accomplished or resolved, it's just the 'NN's Fight Club.

I've enjoyed the place a lot more since my decision to almost completely ignore the PWL.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2011, 03:21 AM

( Last edited by Shaddim; Nov 10, 2011 at 03:41 AM. )
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2011, 01:39 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2011, 02:53 PM