Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does the KIA car brand name bother you?

View Poll Results: Does the KIA car brand name bother you?
Poll Options:
Yes. But not enough to prevent my buying one if I liked it. 6 votes (7.32%)
Yes. I'd never own one due to the name. 12 votes (14.63%)
No. I assign no negative thoughts to the name. 50 votes (60.98%)
No. I recognize the similarity but I'm neither superstitious nor conspiratorial. 12 votes (14.63%)
Hmmm. I didn't know about this but will give it some thought. 2 votes (2.44%)
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll
Does the KIA car brand name bother you?
abe
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 06:24 PM

Korean car manufacturer, KIA, builds cars that are at least consistent with the level of quality demanded by America consumers and at a level of safety mandated by the U.S. government. Their goal, AFAIK, is to sell as many cars as they can and to keep their profits as high as they can and to get as many repeat buyers as they can, not only in America but everywhere else in the world where they do business.

But anyone in the military knows that the initials, KIA, also stand for "Killed In Action." And out of a silly, irrational superstition I would not buy or own a KIA automobile because of the mental association I'd make to that military abbreviation.

I'm interested in knowing how you all feel.

Yes. But not enough to prevent my buying one if I liked it.

Yes. I'd never own one due to the name.

No. I assign no negative thoughts to the name.

No. I recognize the similarity but I'm neither superstitious nor conspiratorial.

Hmmm. I didn't know about this but will give it some thought.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 07:18 PM

No, its just a name and to be honest I never even made the connection. I don't think too many people made any connection to that either.

So there you have it case closed and the thread can be locked now

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2007, 07:22 PM

You might want to seek professional help about your phobia. Are you a kiaphobe or something?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 07:33 PM

gokia.®

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 07:35 PM

I heard Kia is coming out with a new model. They call it Mia.

The all new Kia Mia™: Inadvertently giving flashbacks since 2007.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 07:40 PM

When my friend got to Iraq to work as a contractor- they gave her a car to use over there. When she saw it was a KIA (with bullet holes mind you) she was terrified. But all is well, she said that car was the best.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 07:55 PM

Their goal, AFAIK, is to sell as many cars as they can and to keep their profits as high as they can and to get as many repeat buyers as they can, not only in America but everywhere else in the world where they do business.
WHOA.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2007, 08:17 PM

Everytime i see a Kia or Daweoo or any other cheap shitty car, i think of all the raw materials, pollution and cheap labour that went into making that car.

But thats just me at the moment, sick of the waste we humans make and the its subsequent deminishment of natural resources at the expense of a cheap buck. Can't we all just gas (not petrol) powered buses (there's no public bus service out to the town where i live so i have to drive my 77 mini to work everyday)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 08:38 PM

omg

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 08:42 PM

I would rather get a Hyundai, not Kia.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
WHOA.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2007, 09:46 PM

Hyundai and Kia. Apparently great cars for cheap and with great warranties. There's just something about them that sucks. I'd drive a V6 Tiburon though. Fun little car, great seats too!

Rodney King drove a Hyundai.
ice

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I heard Kia is coming out with a new model. They call it Mia.

The all new Kia Mia™: Inadvertently giving flashbacks since 2007.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2007, 10:04 PM

Until JUST NOW, I never thought of the name (a word) as an acronym. Thanks for planting that in my brain.

I always saw it as a word, and pronounced it that way. Having a very serious military background, some might be inclined to think that I would have instantly gone for the alternate meaning. But the context is completely wrong so it never occurred to me.

Similarly, I had to have someone explain the apocryphal "Chevy Nova" thing in Spanish.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Until JUST NOW, I never thought of the name (a word) as an acronym. Thanks for planting that in my brain.

I always saw it as a word, and pronounced it that way. Having a very serious military background, some might be inclined to think that I would have instantly gone for the alternate meaning. But the context is completely wrong so it never occurred to me.

Similarly, I had to have someone explain the apocryphal "Chevy Nova" thing in Spanish.
By the way, I think it was on these very pages that someone debunked what I always thought was a true story about the No Va.

And speaking of KIA...

Kia Vaughn filed a lawsuit today against Don Imus, who settled with CBS for $20 million.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
By the way, I think it was on these very pages that someone debunked what I always thought was a true story about the No Va.
It isn't true? Jeez, next you're gonna tell me that the Fake Steve Jobs blog isn't really written by Jobs...

And no, I'd never made the connection before.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Hyundai and Kia. Apparently great cars for cheap and with great warranties. There's just something about them that sucks. I'd drive a V6 Tiburon though. Fun little car, great seats too!

Rodney King drove a Hyundai.
Hyundai is also a military acronym.

HYbrid UNDerwater Assault Imminant

I could never drive one. I would always be on the lookout for commandos coming out of bodies of water. It would be like 1998 all over again. All the time.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Sealobo
Aug 15, 2007, 02:40 AM

Korean car manufacturer, KIA, builds cars that are at least consistent with the level of quality demanded by America consumers and at a level of safety mandated by the U.S. government. Their goal, AFAIK, is to sell as many cars as they can and to keep their profits as high as they can and to get as many repeat buyers as they can, not only in America but everywhere else in the world where they do business.
wow... this is some statement.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Hyundai is also a military acronym.

HYbrid UNDerwater Assault Imminant

I could never drive one. I would always be on the lookout for commandos coming out of bodies of water. It would be like 1998 all over again. All the time.
That's cute but the military acronym KIA is all too real.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
wow... this is some statement.
1) Korean car manufacturer, KIA, builds cars that are at least consistent with the level of quality demanded by America consumers

2) and at a level of safety mandated by the U.S. government.

3) Their goal, AFAIK, is to sell as many cars as they can

4) and to keep their profits as high as they can

5) and to get as many repeat buyers as they can,

6) not only in America but everywhere else in the world where they do business.

Which part(s) do you take exception with?

And why?

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 05:35 AM

I know what KIA stands for, but I've never once associated it with the car company. I associate crap with the brand KIA, not a military acronym.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 07:43 AM

Which part(s) do you take exception with?
The intelligence of the author

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
How about a productive comment instead of an insult.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 07:59 AM

1) Korean car manufacturer, KIA, builds cars that are at least consistent with the level of quality demanded by America consumers

For me its kind of a duh statement. Just about every company (not just automotives) do this, its business 101 kind of stuff, you know maximize profits, stay within regulations, keep/increase repeat buyers.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 15, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E View Post
Everytime i see a Kia or Daweoo or any other cheap shitty car, i think of all the raw materials, pollution and cheap labour that went into making that car.

But thats just me at the moment, sick of the waste we humans make and the its subsequent deminishment of natural resources at the expense of a cheap buck. Can't we all just gas (not petrol) powered buses (there's no public bus service out to the town where i live so i have to drive my 77 mini to work everyday)
You remind me of that girl on the movie "Mean Girls" that stood up in the girl crowed and talked about love and rainbows and stuff. Yet she didn't go to that school.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spook E View Post

So put your money where your mouth is and walk or ride a bicycle to work.

I have no problems buying a car, cheap or expensive. Seems hypercritical to me that you complain how badly cars destroy the environment yet you drive one every day.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 08:54 AM

Are there any successful businesses that these statements don't describe?

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
...hypercritical...
hehe

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 09:34 AM

When I was young, I asked my Dad what Kia stood for as we passed a dealership. He said "Korean Import Automobiles". I have no idea if the name is actually an acronym, but it has never occurred to me that KIA also stood for Killed in Action.

If there's any reason for me not to buy a Kia, it's because I seem to have the impression that they are unsafe or unreliable. I can't trace this to any report or anything, maybe I heard it from people.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
If there's any reason for me not to buy a Kia, it's because I seem to have the impression that they are unsafe or unreliable. I can't trace this to any report or anything, maybe I heard it from people.
I agree, I now of a few people who bought them (a few years ago now) and they had lots of trouble. I think they've improved a lot as a friend of mine bought a KIA mini-van and that seems to be pretty well quality wise. Personally I buy American when I can, but that's a personal choice.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 10:19 AM

When I was young, I asked my Dad what Kia stood for as we passed a dealership. He said "Korean Import Automobiles". I have no idea if the name is actually an acronym, but it has never occurred to me that KIA also stood for Killed in Action.
It’s not an acronym.

The name is Korean, from two words: ki ‘rise’ (起 in Hanja) and a ‘Asia’ (亞 in Hanja), so it means something like ‘Rise, Asia!’ or ‘[the car that] arose out of Asia’. A quick glance at Wikipedia will tell you that (and a bit of background knowledge of the phonetic developments of early Chinese loan words into Early Korean—yes, geeky—will confirm it).

And, for the OP, the name of the car is not KIA, but Kia, which immediately excludes any confusion between the military acronym and the car brand.

So, all in all: no, it does not bother me in the least.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
gokia.®
And if you don't like it, nokia ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 10:35 AM

Muahahaha

-t

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
And, for the OP, the name of the car is not KIA, but Kia, which immediately excludes any confusion between the military acronym and the car brand.
Absolutely. To wit, from the company website:

Though admittedly the logo does use a caps kind of look:

But seriously. Are you superstitious about people named Mia?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 12:17 PM

The poll seems to be giving the OP the finger.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2007, 12:22 PM

So it accurately reflects the feelings of most of the members too?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Though admittedly the logo does use a caps kind of look:
Along with lots of other companies (Volvo, Fiat, Porsche, Saab, to stay in the motoring world).

But seriously. Are you superstitious about people named Mia?
I’ve always thought it rather unfortunate for a girl to be called, in Spanish/Portuguese/Italian [if you ignore accents] ‘mine’, and in Greek ‘one’. Seems just a little belittling and possessive, doesn’t it?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 12:47 PM

Image/marketing problem? I think the quality of Korean cars improve a lot.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 03:27 PM

I guess you are right. Any moron should know that __(fill in the blank)_________________ actually hides behind any grown man's superheroic facade.

1) Pettiness
2) Jealousy
3) Homo-erotic fascination
4) Masochism
5) Manipulative toying
6) Arrested emotional development
I admit ignorance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
The poll seems to be giving the OP the finger.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So it accurately reflects the feelings of most of the members too?
Touché

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 03:36 PM

I admit ignorance.
I bet you do.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Aug 15, 2007 at 04:17 PM. )

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Touché

-t
I'm glad somebody noticed.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 03:45 PM

I bet you do.

-t
Eh, what?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
How about a productive comment instead of an insult.
Thanks.

Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in.

Michael Corleone
Seriously, you know there are some who just like to scrap.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 03:50 PM

Eh, what?
admit ignorance.

-t

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
For me its kind of a duh statement. Just about every company (not just automotives) do this, its business 101 kind of stuff, you know maximize profits, stay within regulations, keep/increase repeat buyers.
Of course. That's exactly what I was trying to establish because I knew one or two posters would come along and simply bash the KIA Motors Corporation or Korean cars or Koreans who might have some strange grudge against America.

I wanted to focus on the KIA military acronym issue and not some question of KIA Motors' product or ethos.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Are there any successful businesses that these statements don't describe?
Thanks. I accomplished my mission.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:02 PM

admit ignorance.

-t
Is that supposed to be funny somehow?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 04:05 PM

Muahahaha

-t
He who laughs last...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 04:12 PM

Is that supposed to be funny somehow?
Ahhh, nevermind.

I guess the quoting function farked up. My original post is fixed now.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules