Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Rumors

iBook Rumors
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 05:45 AM

For those interested in purchasing iBooks anytime soon, I've been able to obtain some interesting information pertaining to future iBook hardware.

New iBooks are coming out at MWSF in January of 2003. The new iBooks will feature a new enclosure. They're supposately extremely sweet machines. The person I talked to about the new iBook declined to say whether it was a G3 or a G4, but I'm inclined to believe that they will be 600- and 733-megahertz G4's.

There will be a new "iApp" and digital hub device announced at the show. The application will be related to DVD burning, but I don't have a definite answer on its name yet. From what I hear, the digital hub device has something to do with telephony.

The look of things is going to be changing. Apple will discontinue their 22-inch Cinema Display in favor of a new 19-inch display featuring the same resolution but with higher brightness and the silver-style enclosure.

You can choose to doubt what I say, but I'm relatively credible. Granted, I don't get everything right to the letter (I messed up DDR and SDR memory on this latest batch of PowerBooks), but I'm respectable as a rumor source by the PowerBook forum people.

Merry Christmas to all! Here's to a great new year and continuing innovation in 2003!

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2002, 05:52 AM

Great, I just spent $1300 on an iBook that was only to be updated by a G4.

Regardless, the iBook's are a nice laptop but I'm having a hard time loving my iBook. $1300 would get me some nice computer hardware though. Oh well, only time will tell.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 05:53 AM

I haven't heard much about the iMac. Apple seems to be getting good at keeping things under tabs. However, it's safe to say that we're getting gigahertz-class CPU's and lowered prices at MWSF. Apple's financing promotion ends at the date of the keynote.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 05:56 AM

The new enclosure is pretty secret. Apple's got something up their sleeves. They have them floating around Apple in prototype casings.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 06:01 AM

Something else to consider is the possibility of the PowerBook update. Since the PowerBooks were updated significantly only a month ago, it will be surprising if Apple decides to update them at Macworld, but since they're planning on updating the iBooks soon, one can never know.

The advice remains: do not buy anything until MWSF.

This pisses off Apple tremendously, but for your own sake, don't take advantage of any "special" Apple sends your way unless you're getting over 20% off the product in question.

shawnjoyce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 06:14 AM

It would be nice to further decrease in thickness the iBook's enclosure without sacrificing durability. Any word on design changes along those lines?

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 06:31 AM

The enclosure is changing. How it's changing is anyone's guess. I've only heard of prototype plastics.

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2002, 06:55 AM

The case change would indeed be cool... I've become a bit suspicious of the hinge design on the case now.

But anyway in this thread there's descriptions of mixed plastics in iBooks.

Would it be possible that they're only making the "white" cases at this point and have stopped manufacturing the old one. They might have the old plastics in stock and they don't want to stockpile them if the new case is coming out. The current low end model could also be considered as material testing for the new case?

This would also make sense when thinking of the price drop a while ago. They would only have to manufacture shells for the low end model and use their old stock of shells for the other models? I realize that it would not account for the whole $200 price drop, but a part of it anyway.

Just my two cents...

--
Jani

Dual USB backlight fix - http://www.onda-media.com/jani/ibook/

NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 01:20 PM

what's the difference between G4 600 or 733 and G3 800 or 900 (if they do have)? It seems a little bit downgrade?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 01:38 PM

why would there be a complete ibook revision before a complete powerbook revision? seems a bit strange to me...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2002, 01:51 PM

My sister just got a new iBook... If new ones come out I hope they aren't hugely better. She probably cares more about the looks of them than raw power.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 01:54 PM

would be nice! I really like the iBook and want one, yet the TiBook has all the goodies (but the enclosure...).

Thanks for the tips, Sean! Let's see what comes out.

sillyrabbitt
Dec 25, 2002, 01:55 PM

is there a window....i think i have read where if apple announces a new computer if you bought one like a week or two before it.....can you return it or something like that? whats the window if there is one and what does that give you?

curious
ibook,800,30gig,12.1",640mb,10.2.4, Airport

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2002, 02:42 PM

This is the only refund policy that I know of for a regular stock config model:

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a pre-built product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 10 business days of the receipt of the product. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 10 business days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Instant Loan or an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

# Product that is custom configured to your specifications
# Opened memory
# Opened software
# Electronic software downloads

Taken from the Apple Store, Sales and Refunds policy link at the bottom of the page.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
My sister just got a new iBook... If new ones come out I hope they aren't hugely better. She probably cares more about the looks of them than raw power.
Well, it's safe to say that the graphics chipset isn't going to improve dramatically. A 32-megabyte RADEON 7500 is very reasonable. If anything, they might move to 32-megabyte RADEON 9000's. I doubt it, though.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 03:43 PM

The new iBook updates in November were pretty basic. The ATi RADEON 7500 and RADEON 9000 are pin-compatible graphics chipsets, and the G3's are also interchangeable. Apple had to change nothing except the plastics to "modernize" the iBook.

The TiBook, however, got a significant makeover. The PowerBook G4 now comes with a SuperDrive (admittedly also interchangeable), a faster graphics chipset (also pin-compatible), and new fans. It'll be around for another update before a new PowerBook in a new enclosure is released.

I honestly haven't heard anything about integrated Bluetooth, but I'm sure Apple has it planned for sometime in the near future.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 04:12 PM

I would love an iBook update. But it just doesn't make sense after a November update. The iBook update cycle has been November and May. A Jan update would really screw things up.

Chris

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2002, 04:47 PM

If they come out with new iBooks in Jan already Id be really pissed.. I just spent 1300$ for mine a couple weeks ago..

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by daSilVetZ:
If they come out with new iBooks in Jan already Id be really pissed.. I just spent 1300$ for mine a couple weeks ago..
why be pissed? i bought my 800 DVI for 2800 & 2 months later its worth 2k or less. think of this way. u needed now not later. i bought mine cus i needed mine right then & couldnt wait 2+ months....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2002, 04:56 PM

Re: iBook.

Let me be the first doubter. I'll have to say that I don't believe you Sean. I will go on record to say that I believe no new iBook will be released at MWSF, but one will likely be released a few months later.

This is based upon no inside knowledge...

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2002, 05:05 PM

A wide-screen iBook would be just what I want as i dont really need the raw processing power as I only occasionally use photoshop etc - just that and the ability to hold plenty of ram would do for me.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2002, 05:50 PM

A disturbance regarding the enclosure can mean only one thing, Ti(iBook).

Okay, maybe not... I'd be surprised if the iBook got a new enclosure before the TiBook since it came out before the iBook. However, the TiBook case in many ways is perfection, esp. since they have worked out paint and heat problems. What more can you do to the Ti case? Probably a zillion cosmetic things I guess, but in general it's a highly attractive and functional enclosure.

It will indeed be an interesting MacWorld. You know Steve is going to dump as much here as he can, since the East Coast version is in question now.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 06:31 PM

I would really love it if this is true. I just changed jobs and had to give up my iBook 500. Am going to buy a new iBook just after the first of the year and this could be very lucky timing. I like the 800 combo so it really would be no big deal anyway.

Still wonder with all of the talk of the new chips if this really will be a G4. I just hope that whatever the case design or materials might be that airport isn't affected like the TiBook. The iBook gets great reception.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 06:36 PM

It's anyone's guess what CPU Apple will be using in their new iBooks. It might be an IBM G3, but then again, a G4 is also very possible.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2002, 11:50 PM

The recent iBook revision was relatively minor while the price drops were significant. A new model, somewhere between the iBooks and the PowerBooks might make sense. eBook, anyone? It seems doubtful that Apple would completely discontinue the existing iBooks now that they've got one below $1000 and since it is one of their hottest selling products.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 01:01 AM

I kind of agree. Any change to the current iBook would have to be an improvement, not a step backwards. They may feel there is a market between the current iBook and the Powerbook. Still, I doubt it.

Chris

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 02:10 AM

You're bonkers. They just came out with the current iBooks. They will not be replacing them this soon. There is also nothing wrong with the current form factor that needs changing. I don't see a g4 in them for a long time or people will buy them over Ti's.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2002, 02:29 AM

Steve Jobs has to be itching to put a SuperDrive in a consumer portable. Since the G3 processor won't allow it, it seems logical that he might introduce a new small G4 portable at a higher price point than the iBook just to enable a SuperDrive.

Personally, I don't see what the big draw is to the SuperDrive but it's the way Apple seems to be going.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Dec 26, 2002, 06:23 AM

I too, have to disagree with your ibook prediction of "New iBooks at MWSF", Sean. It seems like a very unlogical move considering apple just recently made fairly signifiganct changes to the ibook line.

Apple will, however be updating the imac line. It will be imac's one year annivesery at the show and I'm sure Steve Job's will point out the success the machine has been and will introduce an updated lineup. 1 Ghz, Geforce 4 MX, 17 inch screen across the lineup with the possibility of a larger screen, if not at the show, and not too far down the road. There will not be a 15' screen available for the imac. This is one prediction of my own that I made a month and a half ago and still stand by it today. I think the imac may even be in for a slightly modified/ touched up look. I think slot loading drives are also not out of the question.

Apple tends to listen to fans about what they want to see. People wanted a G4, superdrive, lcd screen, and a worthy succsesor to the original imac. Apple gave it's fans all of this and more. Some of the things people have wished for since have been, 1Ghz, larger screens, better graphics, etc... I do not expect wireless mice or keyboards to show up, but Apple may surprise us.

One flaw that has been pointed out since the release of the imac has been the slot loading drive bumping into the screen when it's down. All it takes is an accidental tap of the eject button on the keyboard So a slot loading drive makes sense...

Any other modifications to the lineup will be minimal. The most likely canidate for a minor update is the Powermac, but I wouldn't go into the show expecting anything from it.

The emac will get a needed boost in speed and graphics. I wouldn't expect any significant changes here.

And as for a new digital device. I think everyone seems to have their own take as to what it may be. I think apple is due for a web cam to work with ichat, but if it comes in January is anyones guess?

As for the ibook, I see apple using the G3 chips for one more revision before moving to the G4 and introducing a new case enclosure. They have a good price and people are eating it up like candy, so why mess with a proven formula? The time will come when Apple will need to put a G4 processor in the ibook and it isn't too far away, but at this point in time the G3 just makes sense from a business stand point, maybe not from our pov. Hell, I'd love a G4 ibook and would buy one in a second!

Sorry for the ramble. And I'd like to think that my predictions are accurate, but they are just that, my best estimated guess

Noah

nelliott
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2002, 09:05 AM

I don't believe either.

AFAIK the iBooks have not been EOL'd in any major retail chains which is always a precursor to a hardware revision.

I reckon iMac's will get a speed bump to 1Ghz across the board, with updated graphics, a slightly refined design, and perhaps price drops.

I also believe that there will be a new digital hub device (although I don't know what), and new iApp to accompany it.

Also, I think that Airport is likely to get a major revamp very soon with the updated wireless spec, and perhaps integrated bluetooth, but whether it'll happen at San Fran is anyone's guess.

Again - no new iBooks in my opinion (which granted, doesn't count for much )

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 09:52 AM

Some of you might want to look in the history of the PowerBook forum. Sean was blasted all to hell because he predicted the recent PowerBook update. Turned out, he was right. I know you guys have your gut feelings, but that doesn't carry much weight.

As for the iBook, the only thing stopping me from buying the current one is the screen resolution. 1024x768 just isn't enough, but $2300 is too much for a PowerBook. If they bump that up, I'll be buying one.

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
A disturbance regarding the enclosure can mean only one thing, Ti(iBook).

Okay, maybe not... I'd be surprised if the iBook got a new enclosure before the TiBook since it came out before the iBook. However, the TiBook case in many ways is perfection, esp. since they have worked out paint and heat problems. What more can you do to the Ti case? Probably a zillion cosmetic things I guess, but in general it's a highly attractive and functional enclosure.

It will indeed be an interesting MacWorld. You know Steve is going to dump as much here as he can, since the East Coast version is in question now.
The iBook enclosure and design is superior to the TiBook, in many, many ways.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 11:01 AM

I also think the iBook enclosure is superior to the TiBook. It is stronger and travels much better. I also like how the hinge design works.

Maybe a newer shell material will be used that would make it a little thinner or smaller. Overall, it is a great case design as it exists.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 12:51 PM

Perhaps Sean's new 'book is an iBook SE or a smaller TiBook--not replacing the current 'books, but in addition to...???

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 26, 2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
Steve Jobs has to be itching to put a SuperDrive in a consumer portable. Since the G3 processor won't allow it, it seems logical that he might introduce a new small G4 portable at a higher price point than the iBook just to enable a SuperDrive.

Personally, I don't see what the big draw is to the SuperDrive but it's the way Apple seems to be going.
iMovie set the Mac on fire- the PC world stood up and took notice, as much as they'd like to deny it.

iDVD is the follow-up punch to the iMovie hit, and it'd be gravy if they had it available to all.

There is history here for why a consumer machine should have a superdrive: eMac with one, and iMac with one. It obviously fills a consumer desire.

I know I'd like one, but I'd also be really bummed, having just bought an ibook800.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
iMovie set the Mac on fire- the PC world stood up and took notice, as much as they'd like to deny it.

iDVD is the follow-up punch to the iMovie hit, and it'd be gravy if they had it available to all.

There is history here for why a consumer machine should have a superdrive: eMac with one, and iMac with one. It obviously fills a consumer desire.

I know I'd like one, but I'd also be really bummed, having just bought an ibook800.
I think it would be a big success. Throw in a Superdrive and better screen resolution, and I'd buy an iBook immediately. I really want a PowerBook because of those two things, but I don't want to spend that much money (my wife would kick my butt!).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
Some of you might want to look in the history of the PowerBook forum. Sean was blasted all to hell because he predicted the recent PowerBook update. Turned out, he was right. I know you guys have your gut feelings, but that doesn't carry much weight.
The difference there was that EVERYONE knew that there was going to be PowerBook revision. The "blasting" came from people who disagreed with the type of revisions.

In any case, I've been wanting for a long time a "semi-pro" machine in between the iBook and PowerBook: Smaller screen and smaller footprint, but with the power of the G4 Titanium. (I bought the TiBook because such a machine doesn't yet exist.) If they were to introduce such a beast, that'd be great, but if anything that wouldn't be a new iBook, but a new TiBook (regardless of any name given to it). I do not believe that the current models of the iBook will change significantly.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:

Personally, I'd think they'd do better just to update iMovie, because iMovie as it stands for me now is unusable. It doesn't even handle JPEGs properly.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 01:19 PM

A question for those who want better screen resolution--how much. 1024 x 768 is pretty good. I don't think you'd want it higher for a 12" screen.

And that's the only change I could see Apple making to the iBook lineup. They might be able to put a slightly larger screen in the current 12" iBook. And they might be able to make a higher resolution 14" iBook. All this while leaving the current iBooks untouched.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the 14" iBook introduced last January? So the major performance tweaks occur in May and November, while small changes can be made in between.

Chris

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
A question for those who want better screen resolution--how much. 1024 x 768 is pretty good. I don't think you'd want it higher for a 12" screen.

Chris
I love the 1600x1200 laptops (15" or 16" screens). I keep my 19" monitor at 1280x1024 because my wife can't see 1600x1200.

I think the ideal resolution is 1280x1024. With the menu at the top, and the dock at the bottom (or the side), there just isn't enough room for the application at 1024x768.

If necessary, make the iBook a little wider but thinner. 13" screen in 1" thick case at 1280x1024 would be perfect for me.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 03:00 PM

I was thinking you wanted 1600 x 1200 in the 12" form factor. That wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. But I could see 1280 x 1024 if they could put a slightly larger screen in there. It would definitely work with the 14" form factor and they could put it above the current 14" price.

Chris

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 06:25 PM

I highly doubt a SuperDrive is going to appear in the iBook line. It would definitely cut into the TiBook's sales.

I'm not saying there's going to be a G4 out of evidence. I just know a new iBook is in the works and it'll likely be announced at MWSF. With that machine comes a new enclosure.

The fact is, significant updates were not made to the iBook. All the updating Apple did was done via compatible chip updates like the RADEON 7500 and faster G3's.

The new iBook might come out at Macworld. It might come out in February. A new one is coming very soon.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I highly doubt a SuperDrive is going to appear in the iBook line. It would definitely cut into the TiBook's sales.
That's what I would have thought about the eMac too, vs. the new iMac but they put them in there anyway. It seems Apple believes every computer should come with a SuperDrive, if only people were willing to pay for it.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 06:54 PM

The new iBook might come out at Macworld. It might come out in February. A new one is coming very soon.
don't take too much offense, but this statement is a little different than the one in your first post in this thread:
New iBooks are coming out at MWSF in January of 2003.
why the back-tracking now? again, don't take offense - you do have a decent reputation in the pb forum for helpful and informative posts - but this is exactly what you did with the last "rumour" as well....worked everybody into a frenzy with a "definitely all this stuff coming out tomorrow...g4 ibooks, updated pbooks, displays" only to back-pedal later.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

MSME
Dec 26, 2002, 07:12 PM

I would love to see updated iBooks in January, but It doesn't seem to make much sense. Why would Apple update the iBook, and then update it again 2 months later? I would assume that even the minor update we just saw still took some work on Apple's part in terms QA, etc. I just don't see why they would go to the trouble if they were going to do something drastic two months later.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
don't take too much offense, but this statement is a little different than the one in your first post in this thread: why the back-tracking now? again, don't take offense - you do have a decent reputation in the pb forum for helpful and informative posts - but this is exactly what you did with the last "rumour" as well....worked everybody into a frenzy with a "definitely all this stuff coming out tomorrow...g4 ibooks, updated pbooks, displays" only to back-pedal later.
It's not different at all. It's broader, but it's not fundamentally different. You're taking things out of context. I was responding to people who said it was impossible.

I never said new PowerBooks would come out at MWSF.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by MSME:
I would love to see updated iBooks in January, but It doesn't seem to make much sense. Why would Apple update the iBook, and then update it again 2 months later? I would assume that even the minor update we just saw still took some work on Apple's part in terms QA, etc. I just don't see why they would go to the trouble if they were going to do something drastic two months later.
You know, I didn't either. However, this is what I've heard. I'm not disputing what I've heard with my own logic and individual experience.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 07:35 PM

It's not different at all. It's broader, but it's not fundamentally different. You're taking things out of context. I was responding to people who said it was impossible.

I never said new PowerBooks would come out at MWSF.
1) sure it is. the first statement implies it is a certainty. the second one backtracks to a "maybe"

2) i was referring to the thread you started back in late october regarding the upcoming pb revision....again, at first it was a certainty, new pb's, g4 ibooks etc...then later it went maybe's and not tomorrow but maybe next week....

i am not doubting there will be revised ibooks...i am not in the market so it doesn't matter to me at the moment.....i just suggest that sometimes your "youthful enthusiasm" gets the better of you.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 07:42 PM

Does it really matter? I'm sticking by my first statement. We can agree to disagree that I am "backtracking" or "backpedaling." Even if I'm wrong, it doesn't cost me anything. Remember, these are rumors.

Since you're not in the market for a new iBook, this thread is really irrelevant to you. What is your motivation for finding holes in my case?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
i am not doubting there will be revised ibooks...i am not in the market so it doesn't matter to me at the moment.....i just suggest that sometimes your "youthful enthusiasm" gets the better of you.

Let's look at this real quick.

#1 You're doubting that there will be revised powerbooks. Fine. It's a rumor.

#2 You are not in the market so it doesn't matter to you at the moment. Then why are you whining about this?

#3 It doesn't matter to you at the moment. It sure does if you had to post your opinion.

#4 "i just suggest that sometimes your "youthful enthusiasm" gets the better of you. "

My answer to that: Please read your sig.

Let this be a reminder for anyone else who reads your posts that this applies to you, Mr. Blur.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules