Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The unthinkable......Drink Spill...It's dead

The unthinkable......Drink Spill...It's dead
m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2002, 01:49 AM

Not my ti-book but a friend of mine...

He had some people over at his house...

He looked over to see his ti-book off, and a drink spilled all over the keyboard...

it wont start up.

Does he have any hope?

Any way to clean it?

M2

Edit: I told him to clean every piece he could find and hope that it works when it dries....I guess not much else can be done
( Last edited by m2bored; Dec 31, 2002 at 02:47 AM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 31, 2002, 03:08 AM

Universes would collapse if I did that to my iBook...

Wow. That truly sucks.

I honestly cannot see any way that cleaning it now would help, the damage has been done.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2002, 04:19 AM

well, maybe a dumb question but was it switched on at the time of spilling? if not, there might be hope. never try to switch it on when there is "wet" on it... remove the battery immediately... let it dry up, wait for all moisture to evaporate... then try (and pray).

used to work with my other electronic devices, why not with tibooks?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 31, 2002, 06:48 AM

When you spill something on electronics, DO NOT attempt to turn it on!!!!!!!

1. Disconnect ALL sources of power, including the main and backup batteries.
2. If the spill was not pure water, then disassemble the unit and rinse off all of the spill with the purest water available.
3. Shake as much water off as possible, then towel-dry as much as possible. If available, use canned or compressed air to blow water from crevices and then allow to air-dry for at least 48 hours (72 is better).
4. Reassemble and see if it still works.

tooki

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2002, 02:32 PM

Apparently, it was one when a friend spilled soda on it...
Then it promptly turned off.......

Doesn't look good...

M2

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2002, 05:07 PM

Man.. Man Oh Man..

Well..

A year and a half ago I had a PowerBook Duo 230 which I got off eBay. I was proud of it. $26. My first Laptop. I was a new switcher. Sure I had my iMac but I liked my little Duo. Anyway.. I was watchin TV. Lying on the couch. The Duo turned on facing me. A "empty" bowl of cereal next to it.

I got up suddenly, kicked the bowl, it flew in the air and spilled on the keyboard.

Well..

We all know what happened next.

It didn't DIE but the keyboard was fried. And being poor, there was no reason to spend $30 on a new Keyboard. Especially for an old laptop. So I used it for a while without the keyboard.

Slowly it died. Well, is DYING. It's still "Alive" in a box in pieces. The screen is all icky. But none of that had to do with the milk as no milk actually hit the motherboard. Just the keyboard and plastic.

I was so sad.

I'd hate to think how sad I'd be if it were a TiBook! Even an iBook! EVEN AN OLD PB G3!

That's sad, man.

m2bored  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 06:40 PM

WEll..

He let it dry and now he gets a greyscreen on boot up.

Tried zapping the pram to no avail...

Any ideas?

M2

emerrill
Jan 1, 2003, 10:30 PM

Completely dissasemble the entire thing, rinse the part with distilled water and dry thourogly, also you can try dissconnecting things like the DVD drive, hard drive, Airport, RAM, keyboard (i would try this one first) and see if you can get mroe (you should get a sad mac w/o ram)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 2, 2003, 02:52 AM

Not any more. Sad Mac is gone. No RAM gives you one beep.

m2bored: did you read my previous post? You should let wet electronics dry for 48-72 hours before trying to use them. Judging by the time and date of the original post, that much time may not have passed.

For the sake of the computer, don't try to turn it on until well after it "looks" dry enough!

tooki

shawnjoyce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2003, 04:35 AM

I'm sorry man. I look at my PBG4 667 DVI and couldn't fathom losing a $2300 investment.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 12:04 AM

Times like that I am glad I paid the $400 for the compusa TAP!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Stelliform
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 06:19 PM

I know I guy that drove over his Powerbook Duo!

He had it on the bumper (In its bag) and forgot about it, when he got in his car it fell off and he backed over it.

He stopped his car to see what he hit and found his poor duo. (Still in the laptop bag) When he opened it up she booted right up. I just replaced the Duo with a TiBook 667. I sure hope it lasts half as long as that Duo!

I told him he should call Apple and tell them about it, but he says that it would be to embarassing to admit to the world he was dumb enough to drive over his laptop.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 06:56 PM

I'd like to see pictures of the Duo!

I mean I hear stories all the time of technology that can take a licking. (Nintendo has this reputation.) A driven over Duo would be awesome to see... working I mean.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 02:08 AM

Well I did it to my old PB (accident, really, I though I was getting a heart attack that second). Spilled Coke. I shut it off right away (took out the battery as well) and tried to drain as much as possible. After I opened (disassembled really) and absorbed as much as I could with the lint free cloth. After that I cleaned with the LCD cleaner solution. I let it dry after all that (it was still open). I went to bed pretty pissed and tomorrow afternoon anxiously assembled it. Booted without a hitch. The whole ordeal didn't cause any harm except to my nerves

Good luck (you have to let it dry!!)!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2003, 04:34 AM

The only time I did anything similar was way back when I had an Apple IIc clone (you remember, the white "portable" with the the handle). I spilled a cup of coffee (with lots of sugar) right into the keyboard. Interestingly it didn't cause any damage, aside from a little stickiness which worked itself out eventually. I don't recall what I did at the time, but I assume I turned it off and let it dry. It continued to work for a long time afterward and I eventually sold it. Those were pretty sturdy machines!

iTarzan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2003, 04:37 AM

What I want to know is, did the idiot friend offer to pay for a new laptop if it doesn't work?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2003, 09:06 AM

Would you offer to pay for a TiBook if you knew the price? Hope your friend had apple care or inssurance or something... I think fi anyone did anything like that to my cammera let alone a laptop I'd beat them within an inch of their life.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Would you offer to pay for a TiBook if you knew the price? Hope your friend had apple care or inssurance or something... I think fi anyone did anything like that to my cammera let alone a laptop I'd beat them within an inch of their life.
Does Apple care pay for accidents?

I don't think so.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules