Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" - manual cd eject?

12" - manual cd eject?
Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 02:48 AM

Is there a way to manually eject a CD on the new 12" PowerBook? Brand new out of the box mine has the flashing question mark folder. When I boot holding option no disks are displayed. I put in the System Restore CD that came with it, and for some reason it won�t boot off of it. Eject key doesn�t eject CD. Holding trackpad button on startup doesn�t eject CD. Plugging USB mouse in and holding its button down on startup doesn�t eject CD.

I'm running out of ideas...

There must be a way to manually eject the CD like on the TiBooks � If not, I�m pretty much screwed huh?

edit: I was pretty much screwed -- see below
( Last edited by Rivak; Feb 15, 2003 at 06:24 PM. )

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 03:04 AM

Try holding down the mouse button right after powering on your computer.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 05:30 AM

or you can add the eject button to your menubar, that way you dont have to restart to eject the cd.

System\Core Services\Menu Extras\Eject.menu
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2003, 05:33 AM

Hel-lo, people...

He TRIED the mouse button. He TRIED the trackpad button.

The menu extra is kind of pointless if the machine WON'T BOOT.

duh.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Rivak:

I'm running out of ideas...
Try this one: during startup (just when you hear the startup chord), press and hold the Command-Option-O-F key combination to enter Open Firmware, type eject cd (perhaps eject-cd, I don't remember exactly) in lower case letters, then hit return. If this do not work, it seems you have to take the route for the nearest Apple Repair Center.

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 12:31 PM

I tried the open firmware thing. When I type in �eject cd� I get �can�t open the eject device�

Is there anything else I should try before I call Apple? When I hold down option at boot, it doesn�t display any disks � isn�t that a little weird? I can boot into firewire target disk mode and hook it up to my old G4, but when I connect it I get a prompt saying I need to format the drive.

I am surprised (and at the same time not really) that there is no mechanical way to eject the cd. I�m not even sure ejecting the cd would solve any of my problems, but maybe it would allow me to boot from a regular OS X cd and reinstall..

I�d hate to say that my PowerBook was DOA, (it boots, I can hear the cd spinning, I just can�t eject the freakin thing) but it�s starting to look like I got a bad apple.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 12:43 PM

Screwdriver. Flat head. TLC.

Seriously, though, I take it there's no little poke-me-here-with-a-paperclip hole? Man, aesthetics taken a bit far, no? Call Apple, man. Don't be a vigitlante. I was just kidding about the screwdriver.
I, ASIMO.

mikeylebeau
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Screwdriver. Flat head. TLC.

Seriously, though, I take it there's no little poke-me-here-with-a-paperclip hole? Man, aesthetics taken a bit far, no? Call Apple, man. Don't be a vigitlante. I was just kidding about the screwdriver.
There was on my 15" PowerBook it was just hidden. Rivak, try to see if a paperclip will push a very small button probably hidden by the felt on the very right side of the slot. Good luck man, I'm so sorry to hear it!

-mikey
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 12:55 PM

I tried poking a paperclip in there, and there doesn�t seem to be any hidden button on the right or left side. I can stick a paperclip pretty much all the way in on either side. I�ve tried moving the felt away and looking inside with a bright light, but I can�t see anything.

I�m going to post my problems in the Apple discussion forums so the crowd there can add their $.02

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 12:58 PM

Blah, I feel for you man. Are you positive that there's a CD stuck in there? Can you even hear the eject mechanism whirring when you try to force an eject through OF or by holding the mouse button? If so, then the CD is probably physically stuck. If not, the mechanism itslef may be damaged. In both cases, you should return the machine methinks. It's painful, but I think it'll save you trouble in the long run. But again, my condolences...

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 01:06 PM

Yeah there�s a cd in there. I remember putting it in

The cd spins up and everything, so I don�t think it�s physically stuck -- just nothing happens when I try to eject it.

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 06:08 PM

So I called Apple today on my lunch break. Spoke to a guy, told him all of my problems and he was like �yeah since this machine is so new, we really don�t have any tech support docs on it yet.� He said that (obviously) the fact that it doesn�t work straight out of the box isn�t right. He said I will most likely have to send it back, but if I were to go to an Apple store and talk to the tech people there, they could either fix it (which I don�t think is possible) or send it back to Apple. He said sending it back to Apple from an Apple store is quicker than from someone�s house / business. So tomorrow I will be driving to the Emeryville Apple Store to talk to the folks there. I am a little unnerved that the guy I spoke to at Apple didn�t outright offer to replace it, but maybe they will once they realize something is very wrong with it..

In any case, I am hoping to get it back by the end of next week. I don�t know if I am being overly optimistic, but I have read of the very short turnaround times for Apple repairs.

And it�s not like I don�t have a computer to use while my new PowerBook is away � I�m just stuck using my IBM A30 for another week or so..

I hope everyone has better luck than I did. This experience has not affected my opinion of Apple, nor does it make me want to leave the platform and start bashing Apple. Whenever mass-production is involved, there are bound to be a few bad apples (excuse the pun) in the bunch. I am still an Apple fan, and I hope to get my PowerBook back soon so I can enjoy it with the rest of you!!

I�ll post back tomorrow after I get back from the Apple store.

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 06:26 PM

Well, I just got back from the Apple store in Emeryville. The guy at the Genius Bar pronounced it DOA. He was confused though, why the person I spoke to on the phone yesterday said I should come in. Apparently there�s nothing they can do at an Apple store because it�s a custom computer (custom means upgraded HD or a SuperDrive. Airport Extreme card or more RAM is not considered custom). He updated my case (I assume putting the fact that it was DOA on record) and told me to call Apple and tell them I was at an Apple store, and the techs have looked at it and pronounced it DOA and I need a replacement.

He hands me the phone and says �1-800-MY APPLE.� �What there�s no secret line I can call to talk to someone right away?� I ask in horror. �Nope sorry, let me know if you need anything� he says as he goes on to help an elderly man with his Rev A iMac.

So there I sat, at the Genius Bar, in Emeryville, calling 1-800-MY APPLE. It occurs to me that I could be doing the same thing at home right now, only I could be watching TV or having lunch. People walk by, stop to talk to me (it�s obvious I�m not engaged in a telephone conversation because I�m barely holding the phone to my ear) they point at the flashing question mark on my brand new 12� PowerBook, with a look of inquiry or shock. I mutter three words �Dead on arrival� and they wonder off in a daze.

I finally get someone and he asks if I want to send it in for repairs, I ask if they can just replace it. The guy has an irritated tone in his voice as he asks �well what do you want, for us to repair it, or to replace it?� I tell him that it didn�t work straight out of the box, and the Apple tech here says it is a DOA, I think it should be replaced! He transfers me to sales. I get a nice woman who has obviously read my case. She starts off by apologizing for my trouble, and asks me how I want to proceed with the return. I say that since I work for a shipping company, she can email me an online FedEx barcode, and I can print it out and send it back on Monday. She says that that will work just fine. She gives me an RMA #, makes sure my replacement PowerBook is configured correctly, and gives me my new order number. She claimed that once the return gets scanned by FedEx (which will be Monday afternoon) they will start on my new order and overnight it to me. I confirm my email address and all of the numbers, she apologizes once more, and we hang up.

So that�s that. I checked the order status page for my new order, estimated ship date is on or before 3/3, but since it�s a replacement, I don�t think I�ll be waiting that long� at least I hope not.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Rivak:
He hands me the phone and says �1-800-MY APPLE.� �What there�s no secret line I can call to talk to someone right away?� I ask in horror. �Nope sorry, let me know if you need anything� he says as he goes on to help an elderly man with his Rev A iMac.
Not much of a genius if you ask me. I took the same approach you did when I was having problems with my BTO 12" PB (640 MB, 60 GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme) not sleeping. One of the geniuses at the Willow Bend store in Plano, TX, took care of everything for me. The machine still got shipped off to a repair depot, but it's been repaired and is being shipped back to the store as I type. I'll pick it up there, saving me the aggravation of having to link up with the FedEx guy/gal.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2003, 07:30 PM

Hey Rivak, I am glad that Apple is doing the right thing and I hope your replacement comes quickly and is exactly what it should be, perfect. I should also mention that when you get a replacement, Apple doesn't tag it as one and the order process starts as if you just phoned in any other order. The factory has no idea that it's a replacement machine so you won't get it any faster or slower than if you would have phoned in the order. But, I don't think you'll have to wait until March 3rd either. I also hope you kept the name and number of your customer care rep and she is now your future contact for any other issues that you may have within the first 30 days of your replacement.

However, I must say that after reading your situation that you have made one obvious mistake throughout this fiasco. You were absolutely WAY too patient, and WAY too nice and compliant. There is no reason in the world why you had to bring the PowerBook to the Apple store as there is nothing they could do for a custom built machine when it comes down to replacing it. As for the arrogant b@stards at AppleCare, they need to be bypassed immediately when calling about a situation like this. YOU paid for this machine, YOU custom ordered this machine therefore YOU deserve a perfect PowerBook at your doorstep at THEIR expense using THEIR time and effort since THEY screwed up.

The only reason why I am saying this is because of the crap I went through with Apple regarding my TiBook(s). I can't stand to see them pull the same stunt with other customers. If there's one thing I've learned from dealing with them, it's the fact that you get NO where by saying, 'okay' to their ridiculous suggestions. By all means don't come off as a nasty unreasonable customer either, but if you get one of their arrogant techs who insist that there is no problem, then you NEED to be transferred to a higher level of support. Make demands and don't hang up until you get what you want.

If you want, check out the fiasco I went through to get my TiBook replaced click on the link below. Turns out the replacement was worse than my original so they wound up credited my $$$ back, but at least they did the right thing. Anyway, here is the link to that thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=135172

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 04:26 AM

So there's no paperclip hole to force out a stuck CD? Nice, really nice. Once again it proves what a stupid decision it is on Apple's part to use non-removable slot-loading drives.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by legionare:
So there's no paperclip hole to force out a stuck CD? Nice, really nice. Once again it proves what a stupid decision it is on Apple's part to use non-removable slot-loading drives.
Agreed!

Forum Links
Forum Rules