Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who has most recently received their 12"? When will I get mine!

Who has most recently received their 12"? When will I get mine! (Page 3)
Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 02:48 PM

Just went out into our warehouse to check the pallet from this morning�s FedEx drop-off, and it was right on top! Yay!! Now I have to wait until my lunchbreak to play. The box is smaller than I expected. Now I won�t be able to concentrate for the rest of the day..

I'll post pictures and stuff later tonight once I have a chance to play

PSchoolen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 02:49 PM

mine shipped from taiwan on 2/11 and I got the bogus recycled tracking number which did not update until this morning 2/13 but then it indicate it was already on a truck in Des Moines out for delivery. It was here by 10am

arnette
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by PSchoolen:
mine shipped from taiwan on 2/11 and I got the bogus recycled tracking number which did not update until this morning 2/13 but then it indicate it was already on a truck in Des Moines out for delivery. It was here by 10am
wow! terrific! I hope I'm in the same situation as you, ours both shipped on the same day. Did you have yours customized?

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 03:26 PM

Yeah, BTO maxed out (but no Superdrive) and Airport Extreme. Ordered on 1/25, shipped on 2/11, received on 2/13!

arnette
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Rivak:
Yeah, BTO maxed out (but no Superdrive) and Airport Extreme. Ordered on 1/25, shipped on 2/11, received on 2/13!
wow, that's great! I ordered 1/27, shipped on 2/11 and if God himself has mercy for my soul then it's waiting for me at my apt. complex office. I used regular shipping. That might be a factor... maybe I'll get lucky.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 03:37 PM

Mr. Fed Ex came back!!! I've opened it up and it fired right up! Ordered a maxed out PB on 1/25 and it shipped from Taiwan on Tuesday. It is quite, quite cute!

Now I have to figure out how to set up the base station -- we already have a modem, router and two computers hooked up to a DSL connection so I'm not exactly sure how to go about this.

Also: any of you who got yours today -- does yours have Office X on it? Mine does, but I don't know if it will self-destruct in 30 days. It's not an issue for me because I already have it. I'm just wondering.

Arnette -- yours might come today too. I chose regular shipping originally, and my base station came in two days.
Beth

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 06:34 PM

Congrats Bbales!

Looks like I missed the plane by a day. Ordered maxed out 12" 1/23, just left taiwan today, probably won't get it til tuesday with the whole holiday weekend thing.

sigh. People who ordered the same thing after me have their books already.

mattsledge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by n_lim:
... Ordered maxed out 12" 1/23, just left taiwan today, probably won't get it til tuesday with the whole holiday weekend thing....
FYI - FedEx IS shipping on Monday. They don't have the day off.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 07:03 PM

Looks like Apple is very much aware of the Fedex issue, in an e-mail I just received which is pretty interesting as I chose standard ground shipping:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your recent order.

If you received a shipment notification via email with a shipment tracking
number that is invalid, or does not correspond to your shipping address,
please rest assured that your order should arrive 3 business days after you
received the email. We expect to have all tracking issues corrected with our
vendor very soon.

If you do not receive your order within 3 business days after receiving your
emailed shipment notification, feel free to contact us at the phone number
below.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused you and thank you for
choosing Apple.

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 09:03 PM

So I�m home now. Open the box, plug it in, press the power button and... spinning wheel.

I�ve been staring at it for about 15 minutes now � what should I do?

idyll
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 09:46 PM

I can't wait.. supposed to get mine tomorrow .

pik0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 04:17 AM

I order a BTO 12" with the works on 1/25!! Got an email on 2/11 saying it was on it's way with the usual bogus fedex tracking number. I paid extra for the 2-day shipping and it did NOT arrive today...

It better show up tomorrow or I'm gonna wanna know why not!! Complaining to Apple's customer service was a waste of time! All I got was pablum! So I asked for a refund on the 2-day delivery fee...

We'll see if it shows up tomorrow. If it does, that yay, I get a fun, 3 day, weekend. If not, I'm going INTO the office on Monday morning and WAITING for fedex to show up with my order confirmation AND driver's license...

This sucks!!!

Piko

ratchetcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 06:39 AM

Hi all. I've been following this and all the other threads with great interest now that I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of my PB 12"...

FedEx has it listed for delivery on 2/17, though it'll probably be in my area on Saturday. Anyone had any luck convincing Apple to add Saturday service to the package as Rivak suggested? Based on past experiences, do you think there's any chance they'd be able to do that?

Monday. Monday is an eternity from now!

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 10:23 AM

PiKO -- sorry yours didn't come. Mine arrived yesterday and so far -- works GREAT! I feel so bad for Rivak and the troubles there.

Plugged in the base station and was up and running in 5 minutes, no lie.

BUT -- sound has disappeared from my desktop and so has the external hard drive. Any clues -- would plugging the base station in to the router (which is connected to the mac) have done this?

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 10:24 AM

PikO -- Forgot something. When I called Apple Tuesday (my first shippibng notification day) -- it said the two days doesn't START until the machine arrives in the states. SO the Taiwan day doesn't officially count, apparently.

Beth

arnette
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 12:03 PM

I feel a ping of sadness because I don't have my powerbook yet. <Sigh>

BBales.. what's the rundown? whatdaya think?

Bubba Jones
Feb 14, 2003, 12:26 PM

Ordered on 1-31, got a notificatio today 2-14 that it has shipped, but it has shipped via standard frieght/ground. I realize this does come from taiwan so it is not really ground and i don't mind the additional weight...

but two things, i paid for two day and i am a little concerned about the possibility for damage of my little guy. let me explain/ask. About 1-2 years ago FedEx started their satndard frieght service. They did this by hiring a large majority of ex-UPS employees and some from another company that had just closed its doors. The standard Priority FedEx and the ground FedEx are two seperate entities that are both owned by FedEx. I do techsupport, web design, joe blow business card web work for several tiny tiny companies in chicago. When Fedex started this service, several of my clients moved to this service for their low priority shipments, to ease accounting by putting all shipments under one carrier. Problem was, over the first twon months they all had about a 25-40% returns/refunds for BROKEN or lost items.

who knows. year later. lots of complaints. i know they got them. my question is has anyone recieved their pb via standard frieght and had problems or no problems?

little bit of info. a kind of poll. my order and ship date. there's my post.

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 12:33 PM

I think my PowerBook is dead See my new thread here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=146013

mikeylebeau  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 12:48 PM

Rivak, terribly sorry to hear it, I offered what help I could in the other thread.

Hmm, my PowerBook looks like it might go out today.. It arrived at the Indianapolis sort facility today at 1:52AM.. Kind of early for them not to get it to Chicago by today, isn't it? I dunno, I guess we'll see, it doesn't matter because I'm not *IN* Chicago now , I'm in California for the weekend, but I think it will make me a little more frustrated if it arrives in Chicago today rather than on Monday.

-mikey
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

mattsledge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 12:53 PM

mikeylebeau - not to brag or anything, but i'm close to Indianapolis and DID get my powerbook today! Our 'books must have been on the same plane cooming in.

I just need to get to work to pick it up, and not do any work today.

mikeylebeau  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 12:56 PM

Mattsledge, not at all bragging, congrats! I hope it works out great for ya. Now, how would you feel about taking a flight from Chicago to San Francisco...? jk.. Damn, I want this thing. Must.. enjoy.. weekend.. at home.. instead..! hehe..

-mikey
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 01:36 PM

Mikey -- get frustrated! If yours got to Indianapolis this a.m. at 1 a.m. or so, I'm relatively sure yours is sitting at your house right now...

Mine yesterday went from Ind. to Chicago in an hour or so, and took an hour then to get to Aurora. Within two hours of that, Fed Ex was at my door. (Unfortunately, I was not! Had to wait another two nerve-wracking hours. My husband was laughing at me...

Beth

mikeylebeau  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 01:39 PM

lol.. well it's okay.. home to be with my girlfriend on valentine's day and what-not.. there *are* more important things. but in any event i guess that's good, it gives me more of a guarantee that it will be there when i get back monday evening, because i just have to hope one of my roommates is home when the fedex man comes a'knocking. if not i will have my work cut out for me the second i get back in illinois. congrats again on getting yours beth!

-mikey

pik0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
BUT -- sound has disappeared from my desktop and so has the external hard drive. Any clues -- would plugging the base station in to the router (which is connected to the mac) have done this?
I've heard there are some problems with 10.2.3 and the new 12" Powerbook. Upgrade to 10.2.4 which was released yesterday and you should be good to go...

Piko - Still waiting for my baby to come home...

jon_hh_68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 02:32 PM

Yay I just got my shipping notice today. I got a BTO maxed out PB with superdrive ordered on 2/4. On 2/14 got the shipping notice from Taiwan. Looks like they are getting a lot faster getting these things out since my original ship date was 3/3. Can't wait till it gets here!

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 05:22 PM

Rivak -- I am so sorry. Take that puppy back and demand a new one! And tell them you don't have to wait in line, either -- you get the next one off the assembly line.

Mine is fabulous -- no problems so far at all, that I've found anywya,.

But I'm not a computer guru -- just a normal user.

Beth

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 06:10 PM

From my other thread:

So I called Apple today on my lunch break. Spoke to a guy, told him all of my problems and he was like �yeah since this machine is so new, we really don�t have any tech support docs on it yet.� He said that (obviously) the fact that it doesn�t work straight out of the box isn�t right. He said I will most likely have to send it back, but if I were to go to an Apple store and talk to the tech people there, they could either fix it (which I don�t think is possible) or send it back to Apple. He said sending it back to Apple from an Apple store is quicker than from someone�s house / business. So tomorrow I will be driving to the Emeryville Apple Store to talk to the folks there. I am a little unnerved that the guy I spoke to at Apple didn�t outright offer to replace it, but maybe they will once they realize something is very wrong with it..

In any case, I am hoping to get it back by the end of next week. I don�t know if I am being overly optimistic, but I have read of the very short turnaround times for Apple repairs.

And it�s not like I don�t have a computer to use while my new PowerBook is away � I�m just stuck using my IBM A30 for another week or so..

I hope everyone has better luck than I did. This experience has not affected my opinion of Apple, nor does it make me want to leave the platform and start bashing Apple. Whenever mass-production is involved, there are bound to be a few bad apples (excuse the pun) in the bunch. I am still an Apple fan, and I hope to get my PowerBook back soon so I can enjoy it with the rest of you!!

I�ll post back tomorrow after I get back from the Apple store.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 09:14 PM

Rivak -- Well, I sure hope you have good luck. Obviously, there was something very wrong here. I just feel bad for you, b/c our computers were on the same plane and I KNOW how excited you were to get yours! I'm typing on mine right now. I hope customer service lives up to its end of the bargain. I have a CMS harde drive which inexplicably died today -- and customer service has been nothing short of excellent. I have an RMA number, an address and as soon as they get the drive, I'll get a new one (it's still under warranty, but still...)

I hope your experience is just as good. Post again tomorrow.

Beth

arnette
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 10:49 PM

Ordered 1/27, shipping info email said shipped 2/11, received and I'm currently using it 2/14.

This computer rocks! it's my first experience with OS X and I think I'm in love. The PB arrived safely and no problems whatsoever. No dead/stuck pixels, no funky bubbling of the white plastic beneath the keyboard, no dents or dings. Definitely worth the wait. And I used standard (free) shipping, too!

the palm rests DO get a little warm but then again I've had it on all day. Doesn't bother me a bit. The keyboard is fantastic. Sweet! Everyone enjoy!

pik0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 02:05 AM

After a scary three days, my AlBook finally arrived this morning from FedEx!!! The baby is doing great though the stork is a little tired!!

Now, however, I'm saddened to report that my sound (after about 12 hours of use, has suddently DIED!!!!

I'm gonna restart to see if it will come back. Nothing else I have tried get's it back on...

Piko

pik0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by pik0:
I'm saddened to report that my sound (after about 12 hours of use, has suddently DIED!!!!

I'm gonna restart to see if it will come back. Nothing else I have tried get's it back on...
Well, as I was shutting things down, I noticed that Real One was stuck and wouldn't quit on it's own. Once I killed it, the system completed it's restart process and rebooted (with SOUND)...

I suspect that Real One gobbled my sound channels, somehow... We'll see if it happens again... Then, I'll report it to Apple in the bug reported.

Piko

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 10:25 AM

pik0,

did you end up getting your 12" on saturday? I am hoping for saturday delivery as I simply can't wait any longer while all of you lucky people sit and bask in the glory of your powerbooks. I had a dream about the 12" powerbook last night. That's how bad it has gotten.

ratchetcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 11:02 AM

I've reached the dream stage myself, n_lim. Unfortunately, FedEx is now 'holding' my PB in Indianapolis and they've pushed back the expected delivery date to Tuesday. Arrgh!

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 11:15 AM

RatchetCat -- Why on earth is Fed Ex holding it? Call them and ask, why don't you? That just doesn't make sense. Fed Ex's reputation depends on getting things when they say they will, so it's in their best interest to deliver quickly.

Pico -- Problems solved?

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2003, 11:40 AM

Packages 'being held in Indianapolis' only means that they are in Customs (paper work is always needed on international shipments and I assume that Indianapolis happens to be the checkpoint).

However, I just called FedEx and they said that my package was 'released from Customs' and is on schedule to be delivered here (in NYC) on Monday morning. So, I am assuming that yours has been released as well.

Keep in mind that Apple has a 'commitment' with FedEx that shipments will reach customers in 3 business days from the ship date. So, since FedEx is open as usual on Monday and if your package shipped on 2/12 (from Apple Taiwan) then you should have it on Monday.

The problem with mine was that even though it 'shipped' from Apple's warehouse (or wherever they build them) on 2/12, it missed the flight to the US and was picked up after the 'cut off time'. So basically, I lost a day since it technically didn't leave Taiwan until the 13th (just my luck).

Of course, the huge time difference between Taiwan and the US is just enough to make an already confusing situation simply MADDENING!

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 12:05 PM

I am in the same boat, er, plane as you StiZen. My ship date was 2/11, but I missed the cut-off in Taiwan and instead of being on the plane that delivered this week my powerbook is still in Indianapolis as of 1am yesterday. Yesterday would have been the 3 business day cut-off. I won't be home monday either so hopefully by tuesday morning I will be actually holding the powerbook instead of just dreaming about it. I don't remember being this feverish when my Ti shipped!

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 02:34 PM

I ordered a 12" PB yesterday. When I ordered, the Apple Store had estimated shipping in 7-10 days. But now that my order's in the system the estimated ship date on the order is March 3 Ah well, I'll survive.

The Apple retail store here had them in stock, and I could have walked out of the store with one, except I wanted it with 640 MB of RAM and the store didn't have any 512 MB sticks available.

pik0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 03:07 PM

pik0,

did you end up getting your 12" on saturday? I am hoping for saturday delivery as I simply can't wait any longer while all of you lucky people sit and bask in the glory of your powerbooks. I had a dream about the 12" powerbook last night. That's how bad it has gotten.
LOL! No, it came Friday morning. Looks like, in spite of the tracking number mixup (it actually matched the one on the box), it arrived in 2-days (12/11 -> 12/13). Funny thing is, once I re-checked the tracking number, the ENTIRE transaction history for the package appeared, where it had been missing for the previous three days....

It's here and working great. Except for the sound going out last night (which I attribute to Real One Player)...

PIko

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 06:28 PM

I am back from Emeryville. I have updated my other thread, read all about my DOA PowerBook there:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=146013

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 09:54 PM

Rivak -- Hope you get your new book within a week! I keep remembering how excited you were about getting it (ours were on the same plane -- same configuration, too, I believe) and we were both tracking them to our homes. And now yours didn't work. Unbelievably disappointing. So I hope you have your new -- perfect -- one very, very quickly.

Beth

blips
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 02:41 AM

I ordered mine from an Authorized Apple Dealer. I ordered on Jan 24th. And I got notification from the dealer that it shipped on Friday. I will have it on Wednesday.

mikeylebeau  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 02:48 AM

Sorry to hear about all your trouble Rivak. Here's a quick update on my PowerBook. Delivery was attempted on Friday but I am not in town and my roommates were not there to pick it up. They will attempt again on Monday and I told my roommates when they will approximately be there, but they will probably end up needing to be at class before it gets there. I get in Monday night late and this means that Tuesday during the day I'm driving into downtown Chicago to pick my baby up, unless I get lucky and someone is there to accept delivery.

-mikey

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 02:01 PM

Well, since we are supposed to be getting hit with a blizzard here in NYC (up to a foot starting this evening and not ending until tomorrow), I guess my PowerBook won't be here tomorrow either!

So far, this '2 day' process has taken 5 days from the ship date!

Luckily Apple didn't charge me for the overnight shipping so at least that makes it almost excusable. All my previous Apple BTO shipments have made it here in 2 business days. Not sure what the hell is going on with this one.

Not a good start so far. Missed the first flight out which extended the stay in IN for the entire weekend, and now that it's supposed to fly out tomorrow, we are getting hit with a snow storm. GREAT!

We'll see if the FedEx flight is going to be cancelled since JFK and Newark will be covered in snow by the AM. Lets see just how good FedEx is in the snow!

The anxiety of being excited and wanting to inspect and play with my new PowerBook I can deal with. It's the fact that the PowerBook (along with the fragile HD and LCD) is being bopped around town for DAYS in subzero and or FREEZING weather. Now that CAN'T be good!

mikeylebeau  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by StiZeven:
The anxiety of being excited and wanting to inspect and play with my new PowerBook I can deal with. It's the fact that the PowerBook (along with the fragile HD and LCD) is being bopped around town for DAYS in subzero and or FREEZING weather. Now that CAN'T be good!
Don't freak out too much. I think FedEx has seen expensive technology and bad weather before, and normally they manage it alright.

-mikey

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 05:54 PM

Mine has now 'arrived at EDC', as stated on the Kuehne & Nagel Tracking page. I presume EDC stands for European Distribution Center, which should be in Luxemburg. Seeing that I am in Belgium, which is about 100 miles from there, I can almost *smell* my shiny new baby... Ooooh... if it got here tomorrow, I'd kiss the delivery guy!

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 12:16 PM

Well, as of right now Newark and JFK has over 22" of snow! Since the blizzard will not let up until early tomorrow morning, I guess we can wipe tomorrow out as a possible delivery date as well!

All this time off of work and I could have been playing!

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 01:00 PM

Yippeee! I got the powerbook today! Thank god I live in upstate NY where the blizzard hasn't hit yet. This thing is beatiful, much much smaller than I thought it would be (and I played with one at apple soho) no dead pixels either. Currently updating to 10.2.4, iLife was loaded.

kakashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 01:19 PM

Yippeee! I got the powerbook today! Thank god I live in upstate NY where the blizzard hasn't hit yet. This thing is beatiful, much much smaller than I thought it would be (and I played with one at apple soho) no dead pixels either. Currently updating to 10.2.4, iLife was loaded.
I've been meaning to ask this..does iLife only come on powerbooks ordered with a SD? Or does it come with combo drives too?

Thanks

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2003, 01:26 PM

I believe it is SD models only, I ordered a fully loaded 12". With the Combo I think you get everything but iDVD since you won't be needing to burn dvd's without the sd built in.

idyll
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 01:50 PM

I got mine!!! It has the stock configuration.. I'm typing on it right now!! This thing is great!!

*speechless*

Forum Links
Forum Rules