Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who has most recently received their 12"? When will I get mine!

Who has most recently received their 12"? When will I get mine! (Page 5)
Altair
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 02:25 AM

My maxed out 12" (with adc discount) finally shipped I ordered on 2/14. Now I just have to wait for ground shipping...

p.s. Is there really anybody that doesnt like the brick guy?

lazydesert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 10:13 AM

Ohh wow... mine will be here today
lazydesert

darkhawk64
Feb 21, 2003, 02:14 PM

Hey Guys!
I just want to report that I ordered my new 12" Powerbook today with the ADC student discount! I'm getting it maxed out with superdrive, 640/60/AE. I also spent the extra $20 for shipping faster. I can't wait for ground!!!! Hopefully it'll be here by next Friday!!!!!!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 08:13 PM

Woohoo!

I got my 12" today anyway..and have been having fun with it all day. Everything seems to work perfectly. No dead or stuck pixels, and it sits flat on a desk. It does get pretty warm, but nothing that bothers me. Its amazing.

The only thing that bothers me is the display coloring, its pretty off. I'm searching the forum on how to fix that as we speak.

I am a very very satisfied Apple customer once again!

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 08:56 PM

Rivak -- am assuming yours hasn't arrived yet. Darn. I hoped you'd get it today.

Beth

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 09:34 PM

Beth � You�re right It didn�t make the cutoff yesterday when it was picked up which means it didn�t make it onto the plane in Taiwan until today. I called FedEx and they estimate delivery on Tuesday. I�ll be following it on the FedEx site, but I don�t think I�ll get it until then.

That said, this weekend will be one of the few in history that I want to go by quickly I am getting tired of this big heavy IBM A30 sitting on my lap! I just hope that everything works right when I finally get it!

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2003, 12:53 AM

Ordered 12" Super yesterday. Shipped later that afternoon from Taiwan. Should be getting it either tomorrow or early next week. Please God, monday!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 02:31 AM

Rivak -- I really, really hope yours is fine. I'm thinking it would be a good thread to assess PB 12-inch'ers with owners at least 1 week after they've had them. I've had ZERO troubles -- with the exception of dropped connections from the Airport Extreme base station. That's highly aggravating -- but even that -- well, ikt's only happened once in the past 48-plus hours. Annoying, but I keep thinking something will change.

As for the computer itself, I've had no difficulties. And I hope your luck is the same.

In fact, I really, really like this computer. It works very well. (Of course, that's pointing out that it's a laptop and not a desktop, which I'm much more used to. A laptop will never be my first-choice machine.

But I'm sending good thoughts your way. And maybe it will come Monday!

Beth

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2003, 09:34 AM

I cant believe NOBODY has mentioned the warping of the plastic under the keys (seen clearly under the space bar) from the heat. I mean, I've returned 2 now, and have been to THREE applestores where they all exhibit the same behavior.

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 09:55 AM

Ordered my 12" maxed out PB on 2-19-03 and according to Apple, it has been shipped! Today is 2-22-03. Now we'll see how long it takes to go from Taiwan to Texas! The Airport was shipped about 2 days earlier and still haven't received it yet.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by jmatero:
I cant believe NOBODY has mentioned the warping of the plastic under the keys (seen clearly under the space bar) from the heat. I mean, I've returned 2 now, and have been to THREE applestores where they all exhibit the same behavior.
Can you provide some pics of this next time you come across this? I am not quite sure what you mean by it. The plastic under my spacebar seems normal to me, but I really can't see that far under. I would really like to know what you have seen.

To continue Bbales' idea of the 1-week assessment, I have had my 12 for a about a week now and could not be happier. I was a bit freaked out by all the problems people have been having, but I have been happy to report that I have no "wobble" (see the macworld forum for in-depth discussion on this), no dead pixels, no screws falling out yet, no warped closure and no trackpad issues. The only things that I did notice is the 1mm protrusion of the battery on the underside (hasn't affected the wobble at all) which I think every 12" has it seems and the weird sound issue which I did not have on my previous Ti and is a bit disconcerting, but I am sure I will get used to it.

I really love this powerbook. Really a terrific synthesis of portability, affordability and performance. Gotten very used to the screen size and I love how easy it is to tote this thing with me everywhere. Have also really been enjoying networking with my PC also, it really is much easier than I thought it would be to set up the network.

I hope everyone has as good of luck as I had with mine. Rivak I hope your next one is flawless also!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

mikeylebeau  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 12:08 PM

Has anyone else had problems with a blurry and pinkish VGA out? I have not been able to fix it yet and I think I need to go into the Apple Store today or tomorrow to see if it is my cable or if my actual VGA port is a problem. I would really hate to have to wait for another one.

-mikey
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by jdhindes:
Ordered my 12" maxed out PB on 2-19-03 and according to Apple, it has been shipped! Today is 2-22-03. Now we'll see how long it takes to go from Taiwan to Texas! The Airport was shipped about 2 days earlier and still haven't received it yet.
MINE TOO! Same order date, and same ship date!

I am so suprised it shipped this fast, and that Apple ships on saturdays!

Woooooo!

-Owl

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 02:30 PM

Just thought I�d let you all know that my replacement should be arriving within the hour. I wont be able to check it out until after work, but I�ll post back after the box-opening ceremony has taken place

[for those of you keeping score, tomorrow will mark 1 month since I placed my original order]

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 02:52 PM

Rivak -- GREAT! I've been kind of watching the forums, looking for word from you.

Hmmm -- if it's a month tomorrow for you, then it is for me, too. Of course, mine was OK -- and still is! I am really enjoying it (that's when I can wrest it away from my 13-year-old.) Updated all my quicken accounts and balanced my checkbook (for 3 months -- it'd been awhile...) using it while cooking dinner and, later, watching a movie with my kids. You'll love it.

Beth

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 11:52 PM

Well here I am typing on my new 12� yay!!! Booted up without a hitch. No dead pixels, screen closes securely, trackpad button doesn�t stick [that I can tell]. Combo drive sounds like a blender, but at least it ejects! The only problem I�m having is adjusting to the trackpad. I�ve been using an IBM TouchPoint for the past 2 years, so I�m not used to having to move my whole finger other than that minor gripe, I love it!

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 09:44 AM

Rivak -- Fabulous! Did you get AE, too? Let me/us know if you suffer from dropped connections, necessitating unplugging and replugging. That is my sole complaint with the whole setup. Other than that, I love everything.

Beth

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 03:46 PM

Beth � I got an AE card, but I already have an existing 802.11b network in my house, so I can�t comment on the base station. We have a linksys access point up in the attic, and so far I haven�t had any problems with it. I really only use wireless networking for web browsing, email, chat, etc. so I can�t really comment on large file-transfer performance.

(I guess this thread is pretty much dead now huh?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules