Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" - Magnet inside the LCD casing?!

12" - Magnet inside the LCD casing?!
Rivak
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2003, 10:15 PM

I have been having some problems with the casing around the LCD separating from the plastic [see other thread] and I came across something weird while looking at it. There�s a magnet in there! On the right hand side of the screen, about a third of the way down from the top, there seems to be a magnet inside. It�s just below the plastic airport antenna thing. I don�t know if this is on all of our 12� PowerBooks, or just mine. If you have a paperclip or something metal laying around, hold it up to the side of your screen and see if it sticks -- anyone else experiencing this??

I don�t know if this has anything to do with the casing coming apart, or why there would be a magnet in there in the first place. The magnetic force seems about as strong as the latch magnet. Is this just a fluke in the manufacturing process?

I have put some pictures online demonstrating this phenomenon. Check them out and let me know what you think!

lazydesert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 10:27 PM

wow.
yeah, mine does it too.. that's crazy I wonder why there's a magnet there ...

and i think its stronger than the latch magnet..
lazydesert

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2003, 10:32 PM

um. wouldn't that be the Airport/Bluetooth antenna?

That would generate a magnetic field, alright.

dur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 11:12 PM

Isn't the magnet the sleep sensor for the 12" pb? There's supposed to be a metal piece underneath the end button or something that detects the magnet and puts the pb to sleep.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by dur:
Isn't the magnet the sleep sensor for the 12" pb? There's supposed to be a metal piece underneath the end button or something that detects the magnet and puts the pb to sleep.
Yep, that's what's it's there for. There's a magnetically controlled switch in the base that toggles when the magnet in the lid gets in close enough proximity to it. Some 12" PB lids (like mine) have been warped enough when received that the magnet doesn't get close enough to the switch to reliably toggle it, causing all kinds of nasty problems with the PB waking up while the lid is still closed.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2003, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by dur:
Ye, it is the same in the ibook, and other portables as well.

Rivak  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 01:58 AM

oh, well i guess that explains it. I've never owned an Apple laptop before so i was a little surprised to find a magnet up there.. (it still doesn't explain why my case is falling apart -- oh well)

Forum Links
Forum Rules