Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > WWDC: Mac OS X Panther + PowerPC970 previewed together?

WWDC: Mac OS X Panther + PowerPC970 previewed together?
rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 11:20 AM

An article on the register suggests so:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/29898.html

Pointed out by the article is that WWDC has moved to the more public venue of Moscone Center in San Francisco. Normally, Apple has not announced hardware at a WWDC in recent years? (Or has it? I can't remember? Usually the focus is software - Mac OS X, Carbon, Rhapsody...going back as far as i can remember.)

However, this year, it may be relevent to announce say the PowerMac G5 (based on the IBM PPC 970) in order to preview the 64-bit Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. (How else could one preview a 64-bit Mac OS without a 64-bit machine?)

If it were to announce the PowerMac G5 at WWDC, then the Moscone Center may indeed make a more appropriate venue.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

stew
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 11:33 AM

Apple is really in a crisis. Heck, even the rumors haven't been updated for years: Before every Expo, people predict the successor of the G4.
C'mon Apple, finally update those rumors! PC rumors are beating them in every benchmark now!

Stink different.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 01:29 PM

the sad thing is...apple will obviously not close the megahertz gap with small speed bumps every 6 months...unless they introduce a 64 bit ppc.

also, they REALLY need to update quicktime, the ui and lack of features is getting old, i mean common, pay for FULLSCREEN for quicktime, when u can already play fullscreen on DVD?

they also need more advertising, if not hardware, then for osx

i'm a big fan of steve and apple, but it doesn't stop me from being critical of them

stew
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 01:44 PM

You don't have to pay for full-screen Quicktime. A simple AppleScript will do.

Stink different.

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 01:48 PM

Something like fullscreen should still be in the actual player. Remember that on Windows the player _also_ doesn't do fullscreen unless you pay. Guess what? RealPlayer and Windows Media Player both do, and you don't have to pay for "full" versions to do it. So your normal clueless newbie, or your normal Windows user will go "WTF, why can't I do this? That's stupid" and go off and just use WMP or Real and never touch QT again.

IMHO, this is one feature that should have been included in the free QT player since they took it out (back in QT 3 I believe).

Dan

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 05:12 PM

It should have been in the player for years but it should also be in the plugin like in WMP...

I can see this coming since they have separated the full screen from the present movie option in quicktime 6. Maybe they will keep the present movie for the pro version.

I feel that quicktime and the mpeg 4 will be the basis of the next version of the AOL/ICQ instant messanger... (and of course in ichat)

I wish quicktime could have a better support for other video codecs like the ones used by the windows media player and Real Media. Quicktime is so much better at bringing the media together (with all the different tracks you can add to a movie, etc...).
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by normyzo:
Something like fullscreen should still be in the actual player. Remember that on Windows the player _also_ doesn't do fullscreen unless you pay. Guess what? RealPlayer and Windows Media Player both do, and you don't have to pay for "full" versions to do it. So your normal clueless newbie, or your normal Windows user will go "WTF, why can't I do this? That's stupid" and go off and just use WMP or Real and never touch QT again.

IMHO, this is one feature that should have been included in the free QT player since they took it out (back in QT 3 I believe).

Dan
I agree.

-Q-
Mar 24, 2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by rmendis:
Pointed out by the article is that WWDC has moved to the more public venue of Moscone Center in San Francisco. Normally, Apple has not announced hardware at a WWDC in recent years? (Or has it? I can't remember? Usually the focus is software - Mac OS X, Carbon, Rhapsody...going back as far as i can remember.)
Didn't they introduce the Dual USB iBook at the WWDC? I seem to remember it coming out around then...

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Didn't they introduce the Dual USB iBook at the WWDC? I seem to remember it coming out around then...
I seem to remember that there was a special iBook press conference, Mai 1st I believe.

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 08:45 PM

Yes, very likely. I'll do you one even better both will probably be previewed and release dates will probably be announced for both. The reason I happen to think this is simple. 10.0 had lots n lots of bugs, 10.1 had lots of bugs, 10.2 has bugs -not that many. (LIST SHADED WINDOWS NOTWITHSTANDING!!!) So, it shouldn't be difficult to squeeze out a new 10.something release this summer.
( Last edited by beb; Mar 24, 2003 at 08:51 PM. )

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by beb:
Yes, very likely. I'll do you one even better both will probably be previewed and release dates will probably be announced for both. The reason I happen to think this is simple.
Apple typically doesn't make previews of unannounced hardware.
Certainly in the Steve Jobs era it has never done so.

So it's most likely to make an announcement of the PowerMac G5 and then simultaneous release dates for both not long after. (Otherwise impacting PowerMac sales until the release).
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
the sad thing is...apple will obviously not close the megahertz gap with small speed bumps every 6 months...unless they introduce a 64 bit ppc.
How would introducing a 64-bit PPC help them close the megahertz gap? I suppose the 970 would help, but not by being 64 bit..

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2003, 08:13 PM

Certainly in the Steve Jobs era it has never done so.
Its impossible!

Once it is previewed it IS announced, no its not a preview its IS an announcement... when talking previews vs announcements that is.

-Owl

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 09:43 PM

i heard intels future chip will be 64 bit, but be around 1.6 hz. and Still be faster than a p4 @ 3 ghz,

let apple come out w/ 64 bit 970 @ between 1.5 to 1.7 gjhz and that would be good.

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 11:40 PM

No, Steve's almost predictable vanity would most certainly require a large crowd with members of the press in attendance. An event at the Apple town hall simply wouldn't be a big enough locale for a change or update of this magnitude. I'm not saying that it'll ship at that time, it's more like a monthly stepped release that has occured before.

I also bet that's when the music service thing will be announced, probably even a deal that you buy Panther and get to download a number of songs for free.

Moose
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
May. Special press event.
( Last edited by Moose; Mar 26, 2003 at 09:23 AM. )

-Q-
Mar 26, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
May. Special press event.
That's right! "Special Press Event" was it. At least it was in May, so my memory isn't completely wiped out.

Thanks for the link.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 01:52 PM

Goodie
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Forum Links
Forum Rules