Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 17" not burning dvds

PB 17" not burning dvds
SummitWynds
Apr 6, 2003, 04:12 PM

The same media (2x) that I can burn on my dual 800 will not burn on the 17" PB. Is something wrong with the PB?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 04:26 PM

Are you using iDVD, or third party software to burn the DVD? Have you burned a DVD on the 17" PB using other DVD-R media and been successful or not? Do you have any other DVD-R media you can try? I can't imagine Apple's own DVD-R media being the problem, unless you somehow got a single faulty disc.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SummitWynds  (op)
Apr 6, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Are you using iDVD, or third party software to burn the DVD? Have you burned a DVD on the 17" PB using other DVD-R media and been successful or not? Do you have any other DVD-R media you can try? I can't imagine Apple's own DVD-R media being the problem, unless you somehow got a single faulty disc.
Yes, it is using iDVD. I just tried Apple media (the disk that came with the PB) and it worked. Strange, because the Apple media I have purchased in the past did not work with the dual 800 (useless coasters). Is the PB DVD 1x? If so, could that be why the 2x dvds don't work? In iDVD, it would get through the stages, then around 16 minutes left, it just ejects a blank dvd. At least they aren't useless. I was thinking that maybe I should order some 1x media from Americal.com if that is the problem.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by SummitWynds:
Yes, it is using iDVD. I just tried Apple media (the disk that came with the PB) and it worked. Strange, because the Apple media I have purchased in the past did not work with the dual 800 (useless coasters). Is the PB DVD 1x? If so, could that be why the 2x dvds don't work? In iDVD, it would get through the stages, then around 16 minutes left, it just ejects a blank dvd. At least they aren't useless. I was thinking that maybe I should order some 1x media from Americal.com if that is the problem.
Hmm, well at least it's working properly now! I'm not exactly sure why it didn't work at first, could've just been a glitch or fluke. And the 17" PB is a 1x DVD-burner, correct, but using 2x media should *never* be a problem, because that media can handle up to 2x burns, and anything lower than that as well, thus a 1x burner would be fine on it. I'd order DVD-R's in small quanities at first to be sure they work for ya before ordering more. Good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iohead
Apr 6, 2003, 04:43 PM

The PB17 DVD-R *is* 1x, and the one blank DVD-R disc that came with my PB17 is 2x, and it worked just fine.

SummitWynds  (op)
Apr 6, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Hmm, well at least it's working properly now! I'm not exactly sure why it didn't work at first, could've just been a glitch or fluke. And the 17" PB is a 1x DVD-burner, correct, but using 2x media should *never* be a problem, because that media can handle up to 2x burns, and anything lower than that as well, thus a 1x burner would be fine on it. I'd order DVD-R's in small quanities at first to be sure they work for ya before ordering more. Good luck!
Well, it's not exactly working properly, since the dvd's I originally tried (from Americal) wont burn. Not going to buy Apple's dvds for $3 each, when you can get them for $1.69. At least these burn on the dual 800.

SummitWynds  (op)
Apr 6, 2003, 05:20 PM

Well, it's not exactly working properly, since the dvd's I originally tried (from Americal) wont burn. Not going to buy Apple's dvds for $3 each, when you can get them for $1.69. At least these burn on the dual 800.
Ok, tried again (for the 20th time) and it (the 2x media from americal) worked. Strange, but good. Maybe it (the superdrive) needed an Apple dvd first.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 06:13 PM

Hmm, that's possible, or it could be that the SuperDrive is just really picky about which media it'll burn to. Best of luck with it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2003, 06:28 PM

Let me just chime in here and say that I use Optodisc blue-labeled DVDs (available from www.rima.com and many other places) with no problems on both my external firewire superdrive and my 12" powerbook's superdrive. Compatibility varies from player to player, so I would suggest testing any new brand of disc before buying lots, but they only cost $40 for a spindle of 50. That's about $.80 apiece. If you use a lot of DVDs, they are a good choice (of course YMMV). They are 1X only, but that doesn't matter with the powerbook. You can get cheaper, but I have been burned by the very cheap brands. I've burned over 100 of these with very few problems.

I did notice that the primedisc double-sided DVD-Rs that I had been using won't burn in the powerbook's superdrive at all (toast rejects them with a media sense key error or somesuch) but they do play fine.

urrl5201
Apr 6, 2003, 08:11 PM

Make sure your software is updated by system preferences. I have one coaster out of about seven but I moved the powerbook while burning that coaster. Never move the 17" or run other software while burning.

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 08:32 PM

Well, I didn't have any problems with the media, but the 2 times I tried to brun something with Toast, it made coasters. The first time, Toast bitched about a file having been modified since it was added to the list and then decided to just stop. The second time, I have no clue why it didn't work, but it basicaly didn;t burn it right. The third time I tried, I used the Finder's facilities and all went fine, albeit, it took forever since it has to copy all the data to a disc image.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 06:46 AM

Well, of course, we can't burn at 2x with the 17inch, but I burn DVDs just fine using Toast.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules