Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Should the iTunes Music Store have been branded bigger?

View Poll Results: Do you think the iTunes Music Store could have been branded bigger?
Poll Options:
No. Glad Apple kept things modest and simple 11 votes (45.83%)
Yes. Should have given applemusic.com it's own website and look tailored for all 12 votes (50.00%)
Don't know 1 votes (4.17%)
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
Should the iTunes Music Store have been branded bigger?
rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2003, 12:41 AM

I was expecting Apple to brand and market the music download service bigger than they did. Basically, Apple could have made a big deal out of applemusic.com.

For starters, the iTunes Music Store lives on Apple's Music pages while applemusic.com could easily have been given it's own website.
This would be to encourage the perception that the music service is not limited to Macs or even iPods.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

zachs
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 01:17 AM

I wish that Apple would make it so that you could browse the Music Store online, and save songs to a "Saved Orders" list, like the Apple Store. (For when you are on a PC, for example.)

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2003, 02:40 AM

As always, Apple is probably going to make a mistake by downplaying the importance of the iTunes Music Store... Apple has had a couple of really good marketing hits in the past, but it seems like they only get those strictly through dumb luck...

Apple needs to make sure the iTunes Music Store is as common on the lips of regular computer users (both mac and pc users) as Kazaa or Napster was... especially by the time they decide to bring the service to Windows...

The website is simple like the rest of Apple site, but I agree. It definitely needs alot more splash... The commercials too. The couple of commercials that they have for AppleMusic.com are just like all of Apple's commercials... artistic, but don't really give anyone not familiar with the products any information about what they're doing...

There really hasn't been a good campaign in a while from Apple that shows the magic... its always boring people talking about using their machines and then a website link... They've got to SHOW iTunes, and Mac OS X... and everything else if they really want to sell it. More important now than ever since this is truly uncharted territory for Apple. No computer company has ever been in this position before, and best of all, the record industry is behind it all the way... MARKETING BLITZ... like nothing before! SHOCK AND AWE...

Apple's got a great product, as usual... but they need exposure to people. This is a wonderful opportunity to reach lots of PC users. They've got to hit people so hard that iTunes Music Store is on their lips whenever they think about online music...

Its wonderful that Apple is getting an amazing amount of press about this iTunes Music Store... now they've got to ride this and bring a real public response.

xtal
Senior User
May 8, 2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
I wish that Apple would make it so that you could browse the Music Store online, and save songs to a "Saved Orders" list, like the Apple Store. (For when you are on a PC, for example.)
This would be an excellent feature! For those of us who are using PCs in certain environments (work/school/etc.) but still want to be able to browse the store.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
There really hasn't been a good campaign in a while from Apple that shows the magic... its always boring people talking about using their machines and then a website link... They've got to SHOW iTunes, and Mac OS X... and everything else if they really want to sell it. More important now than ever since this is truly uncharted territory for Apple. No computer company has ever been in this position before, and best of all, the record industry is behind it all the way... MARKETING BLITZ... like nothing before! SHOCK AND AWE...
The short film they showed at the press event (the one with the guy in the NY Apple store) was quite 'punchy', even the 'interviews' section was quite good. I was surprized with the usual 'played down' style of the TV adds that came after it.

ReefHobbyist
May 8, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by xtal:
This would be an excellent feature! For those of us who are using PCs in certain environments (work/school/etc.) but still want to be able to browse the store.
I would like to be able to buy music from iTunes at home (slow connection) and have it go into a directory in iDisk or some other holding directory without downloading. Then I could download it from my PC at work (fast connection) and take it home. It would have all the account infomation encoded in it so I would be able to listen until I get home, but that's ok.

Scott

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Actually the iTunes Music Store is essentially a Web service vended by a WebObjects server. i.e XML/SOAP, .NET or whatever you want to call it.

So it would be possible to have it tie into other clients not just iTunes.

In particular, it would also be possible for Apple to create a web based interface as well.

This would allow customers to compile CDs with music purchased from the store on your account and have burned *and* shipped to you.
Kind of like getting your photos developed and printed in an album and sent you.

So people who have neither a Mac or an iPod/MP3 player could use the service to legitimately compile their own collections of music to listen to. Loads of people would rather purchase music like that than have to buy albums or even singles...though people (like myself) who have mature taste and appreciate artists, prefer to buy entire albums or even CD singles (with the various remixes thrown in). But i know i'm in a minority...that's why those compilation albums do so well and sell by the millions.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

Forum Links
Forum Rules