Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Two Random Questions About AIM/iChat

Two Random Questions About AIM/iChat
jszrules
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 12:35 PM

Hi,

1. I replaced my iChat icon of the little yellow man with a new icon, but now I can't get rid of it. When I use 'Delete' or 'Cut' in the Edit menu, the icon disappears and nothing, not even the original icon, takes its place. When I log out or restart, the icon I just deleted is back. Nothing I do gets me back to the orginal iChat icon. I successfully deleted the icon from my Address Book card, but it's still there in iChat. I deleted the image file in ~/Library/Cache/AIM. I've looked around at http://ichatmasters.free.fr/phpBB2/. But none of that has helped. Does anyone have a solution?

2. Why do the moving buddy icons in AIM prevent the screen from going to sleep while the moving advertisements at the top of the Buddy List do not? Just curious.

Thanks a lot in advance!

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by jszrules:
1. I replaced my iChat icon of the little yellow man with a new icon, but now I can't get rid of it. When I use 'Delete' or 'Cut' in the Edit menu, the icon disappears and nothing, not even the original icon, takes its place. When I log out or restart, the icon I just deleted is back. Nothing I do gets me back to the orginal iChat icon. I successfully deleted the icon from my Address Book card, but it's still there in iChat. I deleted the image file in ~/Library/Cache/AIM. I've looked around at http://ichatmasters.free.fr/phpBB2/. But none of that has helped. Does anyone have a solution?
The original running man buddy icon is not actually your default icon - it's just a placeholder to tell you that you don't have an icon. So when you had the running man, your buddies (particularly your non-iChat using buddies) didn't see a running man. I'm not on my Mac right now so I can't tell you which cache to clear, but ~/Library/Cache/AIM is incorrect, since that's a cache for AIM, not iChat.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by frawgz:
but ~/Library/Cache/AIM is incorrect, since that's a cache for AIM, not iChat.
sorry to say but Cache/AIM/ IS iChat's cache... I don't know why they didn't called it Cache/iChat/.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2003, 12:27 AM

Oops, really? My bad.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 04:18 PM

1. Anything else I should try deleting?

2. Anyone have an answer to the second question?

Thanks!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 01:58 PM

Hi again, just bumping this thread back to the top hoping people know answers to both questions. Thanks!

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2003, 09:05 PM

*snip* while the moving advertisements at the top of the Buddy List *snip*
Advertisements? You shouldn't be seeing those. I highly suggest updating your AIM with my banner removing patch:

http://www.bluebomber.com/aimx/
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 09:19 AM

I'm pretty sure your AIM icon is stored on the AIM server.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

b00tang
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 03:10 PM

i have a similar problem and have been watching these threads... i updated my icon, then after that changed to a new icon... other people only see my new icon but randomly at times ichat will switch back to showing me my old icon (which is really annoying)... it seriously just switches at random, like i will put an away mesage up and boom, old icon replaces new icon in the buddy list... however other people say they only see the new icon...?!?!
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 21, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
Advertisements? You shouldn't be seeing those. I highly suggest updating your AIM with my banner removing patch:

http://www.bluebomber.com/aimx/
Thanks. I will. Buy I am still curious why moving advertisements in AIM don't prevent the screen from sleeping while moving buddy icons do?

It seems we keep running into dead ends regarding the answer to the first question. So if anyone has any other ideas, please don't hesitate...

Thanks!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 21, 2003, 05:18 PM

Buy I am still curious why...
*But I am still...

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I'm pretty sure your AIM icon is stored on the AIM server.
Nope. It's entirely local.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jun 23, 2003, 11:50 PM

Apparently the icon went away after running the new iChat A/V and the yellow man is back. Does anyone know why this happened? I'm afraid to add an icon for myself from now on...

Also, why don't moving advertisements in AIM prevent the screen from sleeping while moving buddy icons do?

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules