Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > cant install Photoshop on dual G5

cant install Photoshop on dual G5
SummitWynds
Sep 29, 2003, 09:27 AM

Anyone else have this trouble? I am trying to install software on new G5 (just got yesterday from Rockingham store). Photoshop gets part way through and says it cant install a certain file. First it was help.html, so I tried a custom install without help files. Then it won't install when it gets to a .pf file. This isn't good.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:43 AM

Hey. I didn't have any problems installing either Photoshop or Illustrator on my Dual. I am however, running Panther B74.

cambro
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 10:21 AM

Yea, that's not good.

Perhaps the PS installer is trying to write to a directory that it doesn't have permission for.

I know it is ALWAYS suggested, but have you tried repairing permissions before installing??

SummitWynds  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the tip. I ran disk repair, and still it hangs up. This time not on help.html, but on ct_05.gif. I sure won't get any work done if I don't get photshop installed.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 11:05 AM

You ARE installing from an admin account, aren't you? Sorry to have to ask the obvious.

Chris

SummitWynds  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 11:09 AM

Yes, I am the only user.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 11:14 AM

OK. You said you ran "disk repair". Did you also repair permissions? They are different things.

Chris

SummitWynds  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 11:21 AM

Sorry, I ran repair permissions. I am now going to attempt to download the tryout, then use my serial#s. I hope that works.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2003, 12:43 PM

Are you sure the install disk isn't fubar'd? Scratches, dust?

I've experienced this type of behaviour before in the following situations (with other software, some on Windows, some on OS X):

1) The OS was fubared. Corrected by an OS reinstall.
2) The original disc was damaged. Corrected by making a backup copy with another burner (which was somewhat problematic because the disc was scratched) and then reinstalling.
3) The target hard drive had bad sectors. Corrected by running the manufacturer's repair utilities.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 01:13 PM

Some Adobe installers have acted like this before, notably ID 2. There was a problem with the installer running too fast. Adobe released a patch for the installer eventually. I've read on the Adobe user forums where some users have gotten around this by running background Finder tasks to eat up CPU cycles, slowing the install down. I believe they just duplicated a huge volume right before clicking "Install".

SummitWynds  (op)
Sep 29, 2003, 01:44 PM

still having trouble. Cant download from adobe.com. Not sure if it is because the server is being bombarded today. I can't sign in to get to the tryout download. And yes, there are a couple scratches on my Photoshop disc. Looks like maybe from the slot load drive of my Powerbook. Only used the disc twice to install. Once on dual 800 and then on Powerbook.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 02:09 PM

I would try my suggestion, but with several duplications running in background, and Eug's idea of making a copy of the install CD.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
I would try my suggestion, but with several duplications running in background, and Eug's idea of making a copy of the install CD.
It is the'original PS disc, yes? I've had problems with backup copies previously.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

SummitWynds  (op)
Oct 1, 2003, 06:20 AM

Yes, it is the original disc. And only disc I have for Photoshop 7. I phoned Adobe and they are sending me a replacement disc. All other installs went just fine, so I am thinking the disc isnt good. Otherwise, what a great computer. I can not believe how quiet it is (over a dual 800).

Forum Links
Forum Rules