Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > can anyone recommend a good printer for printing photographs?

can anyone recommend a good printer for printing photographs?
Malt Magics
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 06:25 AM

my current printer is a bit grainy with photos. if anyone has a recommendation, it would be appreciated.

thanks.

SummitWynds
Dec 7, 2003, 11:40 AM

I just bought a Canon i9100. I am very pleased. I have printed 4 x 6s and 8 1/2 x 11s (borderless). Real nice. I believe it prints up to 13 x 19. I also have the i70 as a "travel" printer and have been very pleased with it as well.

EnVoy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 01:57 PM

Epson StylusColor printers rock. I have the 880. When using the highest resolution, and good glossy paper, without a loupe you can't tell it's not a photographic print. They are inexpensive, too.

wede1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 12:06 AM

I second EnVoy's recommendation for Epson printers.

We use a large format Epson and an Epson 2200 and the prints are very nice.

The Ultrachrome inks with the above printers are pretty archival. Even the dye inks on the less expensive printers by Epson are supposed to last quite a while. I have heard that the dye inks are good for about 25 years when used with the correct ink/paper combination. Not sure, though.

www.wilhelm-research.com/

Has some info on some of this if you are interested.

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 02:53 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about getting an Epson Stylus CX5400 or the Stylus CX3200. Anyone know the printing quality of any of these?

Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 07:49 PM

I am a prof Photog, and I will say that the 2200 has revoultionized my business.
Although scanning film negs is incredibly time-consuming, the image will far surpass anything that is put out by an enlarger.
The quality is great, and archival, and both the luster and matte papers look beautiful.

luvaboi217
Dec 16, 2003, 11:26 AM

headshot, i hope you read this.
I am very much into photography, and i had a negative that i wanted to print at 20x24. All the school labs are closed right now for the holidays and the only custom b&w print lab in town can only print at 20x24 using a scan of my negative. They are quoting me 60 dollars for everything. My question is about the quality of these inkjet prints. The woman told me that the inkjet prints dont have quite the luster. I'm trying to imagine this in my head but I'm wondering if you can explain to me the differences you've experienced between traditional darkroom prints and digital prints. Especially in regard to the lack of "luster" the woman was trying to explain to me. And also, she told me about options of pearl paper or something like that. Whats that about?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2003, 02:06 PM

I think my b&w epson prints look too bluish for some reason. I save the picture as a grayscale, then to CMYK to see if there is anything in the CMY channels. I print it calibrated to colorsync. But I notice that the printer likes to put some cyan ink under a coat of black. Is this normal or does my printer suck? I'm not sure I like epson if so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules