Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Direction Please. File Sharing to an Actual Server

Direction Please. File Sharing to an Actual Server
slider
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 07:31 PM

So I am one of those guys that know enough about computers to know that I don't know anything, but to the mere mortal I am networking and computer guru. I can do what is required to set up a simple LAN, and can navaigte around a PC, Mac OS 9 and earlier, and of course OS X, and that is about it. Today I was discussing upgrade options with my boss, remember I am a guru here. Right now we use a Mac with file sharing turned on and call that our server, but it's not really a server, right? So how would you tell someone like me exactly what I can do with a server in terms of my LAN experience? So file sharing, right, got that down, but what about server applications? Our biggest obstacle would be buying a license for M$ Office for 12 New Macs running OS X. BTW, we are currently running 9.2.2 on all the machines which are mostly the original iMacs, 233's and 333's. So is that an M$ Office package we could buy that works off the server? See, I don't know squat. Thanks

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 02:27 AM

You can do what you're talking about (running multiple copies of software stored on a server), but I've never liked doing it. You need a good network, a relatively fast server depending on the number of connections and other services running, and some software simply doesn't permit this to happen.

While it's fun to buy a server to play with, it's probably better if you tell us what it is you want to do with a server, and then we'll make suggestions.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 10:19 PM

Hmm, we'll I guess I want to know what advantages a server would have. I saw a server based collaboration software for Mac OS X for business, ie timelines, invoicing, time keeping, etc, so more of the same. The number of people on at one time will probably never be more than 15 people. And of course software licences, does server based software make sense, money wise; 12 person license or 12 individual licenses? Like I said, we are using a computer with file sharing turned on and that is it. What about print server, what's the advantage there? We have a modem/router to a switch, then everything plugs into that (got rid of that damn hub). I don't really know anything about servers, but I am curious, if nothing else I would like to know what's what. Ya know

Forum Links
Forum Rules