Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VectorWorks or PowerCadd

VectorWorks or PowerCadd
slider
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 11:04 AM

I am looking for recommendations for a CAD program. The two that I am looking at are PowerCADD with PowerDWG and VectorWork which has gotten great review and has native support for AutoCad DWG format. I don't know which would be better for our application. We need to be able to receive dwg files and save back to dwg files so that AutoCAD users can use them. Any advice would be appreciated.

jeffB
Aug 19, 2004, 11:00 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, need to open, view, and edit of dwg files.

PowerCADD is $900
VectorWorks doesnt list a price on their website (that i could find in the past 10 minutes)

I also tried MacDraft - Demo, it had trouble showing all the layers in most of my dwgs.

I found Canvas9 which has opened every dwg i've thrown at it (about 30 from 8 different companies), it comes with a 15 day trial and is only $349.

Does anybody have any experience with Canvas9? Pro's/Con's/etc.?

Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by jeffB:
I'm in the same boat as you, need to open, view, and edit of dwg files.

PowerCADD is $900
VectorWorks doesnt list a price on their website (that i could find in the past 10 minutes)

We're a small door & window shop that used to use AutoCAD, switched to Mac ( ), used AutoCAD for a while with VirtualPC ( ), tried a trial version of VectorWorks, and wound up with PowerCADD, & love it. Easy to learn, easy to use. It is a bit spendy, but I think you'll find VectorWorks is going to cost about the same.

Forum Links
Forum Rules