Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > which ear buds to buy?

which ear buds to buy?
mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 10:50 PM

hey gang,
the search feature is not working at the moment and i'm trying to dig up info on ear buds to buy. i'm considering apple's, just because of the 'custom' size attachments but i'm also considering a pair of sonys (MDR-EX70LP)

any thoughts would be appreciated =)

sony mdr ex70lp apple buds

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2004, 11:06 PM

I had a pair that looked a lot like that Sony one. I hated it. The sound was tinny, the earbuds were uncomfortable with either size rubber thingy, and the thingies are easy to lose (at least I lost mine). Maybe they've improved since then, though, since this was a couple years ago and I'm sure it was a different model. It looked almost identical, though.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2004, 11:56 PM

Whenever this question comes up, people always seem to recommend the Sennheiser MX-400s that Radio Shack carries... I haven't yet bought a set of them, but people rave about them for the price.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 02:49 AM

go with sony .. i have a powerbook, and an ipod .. so dont call me a mac hater forum troll person. people tell me about the apple ones sliding out of the ears .. or not sounding very good ... but the sony ones i know from personal experience .. they are GREAT .. i have a spare pair sitting around in case my current ones break .. i've gone through 6-7 pairs .. (lost a pair .. one pair got caught between a car door ... one discintigrated through heavy sweat (well .. it stopped working .. not like it melted) because i would drench sweat on it when i jogged to prep for marathons.

if u want to know how the 70's are .. but would like to get it on the cheap .. get the 50 .. or is it 51's ... same thing .. better looking in my opinion. only difference is the 70 has rubbery stems while the 50 has rigid stems ... which are more duable in my opinion. anyways .. the call is yours. many will tell u to go apple .. hey .. give it a try .. they look good too =P .. but i say sony .. and recommend amazon.com .. go for the 50's .. if u want to try sony's earbuds at a cheaper price.

by the way .. mine costs 45-50 EACH pair .. i bought them full retail ... no regrets.

as for the sound being tinny with no base ... you are wearing them wrong ... when inserted right, the base is DEEPER than most headphones (big headphones) i have used because it is direct into the ear ... trust me .. try 'em .. they're worth it once u learn how to wear 'em .. and after a week or two,k they'll be like second nature.

when i bought my 3g ipod .. i used my sony earbuds .. never took the stock apple ones out of the wrapper .. still got 'em .. lol

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 03:06 AM

I have 2 pair of the Sonys (black for home use, white for travel) and love them. They are very comfortable, even for long usage. The different size caps can help fit the ear well and they do a good job of muffling outside noise, very nice if you fly.

I am going in on a bulk purchase of the Etymotic 6i iPod Isolator Earphones after hearing some good reviews of them.

ipodlounge has some good reviews on a number of buds and cans, btw.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 08:17 PM

I have small ears and I have to say the the apple buds just don't fit. seeing the sony's i will have to try them. I have bought 3 sets of ear buds in the last 2 years and those are the only ones that *appear* to be able to work for small ears.

something to consider anyway...

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by mike one:
hey gang,
the search feature is not working at the moment and i'm trying to dig up info on ear buds to buy. i'm considering apple's, just because of the 'custom' size attachments but i'm also considering a pair of sonys (MDR-EX70LP)

any thoughts would be appreciated =)

sony mdr ex70lp apple buds
The Sonys will work well for small ears, and they will stay put. I used the small attachments for a year when I lost one of the medium sized ones, and they were quite a bit smaller. They definitely stay put more easily than the Apple ones. My only gripe is the cord without the extension is too short, and the cord *with* the extension is too long

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2004, 11:41 PM

Apple has been designing earphones for 3 years. Sony has been designing earphones for 25 years.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 12:02 AM

www.head-fi.org. there are much better canalphone style phones than the sonys that don't cost too terribly much more. that website is a good referencce.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
The Sonys will work well for small ears, and they will stay put. I used the small attachments for a year when I lost one of the medium sized ones, and they were quite a bit smaller. They definitely stay put more easily than the Apple ones. My only gripe is the cord without the extension is too short, and the cord *with* the extension is too long

just so you know, with extension, it is supposed to be as long as typical earbuds cords, so you are pretty much using a regular ear bud when u have extension on. the reason why it is so short when u take the extension off, is because you use the short piece only if you are using a remote. it was designed for minidisc players, as almost all minidisc players use a remote. there is no sense in using a full length remote (remote has a cord too) and a full length earbud. you'd end up with miles of cording .. (which is what i have at the moment because my 51's dont have extgension .. it's just one long cord. so if you use the remote, dont use the extension, just the short part, and the remote is supposed to be at chest pocket level .. or used to clip onto your shirt ... atleast that's the idea ...

this makes the sony's more flexible.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 03:34 AM

I've read lots of talk about the Sony headphones and was thinking about buying some. Does anyone know what's different from the 50's to the 51's, and the 70's to the 71's? The MDR-EX51LP's sound like they might be a better investment, especially with the regular 4 ft. cord (I don't want an extension) and "rigid stems," if the sound is essentially the same. I may not even want to wear them all the time since I do some walking around where I might want to be able to hear other things like cars or my phone. But for the bus or a plane they seem splendid.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
as for the sound being tinny with no base ... you are wearing them wrong ... when inserted right, the base is DEEPER than most headphones (big headphones) i have used because it is direct into the ear ... trust me .. try 'em .. they're worth it once u learn how to wear 'em .. and after a week or two,k they'll be like second nature.
I can assure you that I was not wearing them wrong. The bass was bad on my pair, but like I said, it probably wasn't the exact same model.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Apple has been designing earphones for 3 years. Sony has been designing earphones for 25 years.
I'll bet my house on the fact that Apple didn't design these headphones... they're purchased from another manufacturer and relabeled.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by EmmEff:
I'll bet my house on the fact that Apple didn't design these headphones... they're purchased from another manufacturer and relabeled.
The insides, perhaps. However, the insides don't affect fit. The outer/industrial design will most likely have been done by Apple, and is not comfortable.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 11:35 AM

I personally doubt it, but I don't know any better than you... there are a million different headphone vendors out there. Pick ones that fit better.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 01:19 PM

I thought it was found out a while ago that the iPod headphones and the optional canal phones form Apple were made by Sony. I know the Apple canal phones will accept the Sony silicone sleeve. I have heard that makes the Apple ones sounds great (straight speaker design with a silicone sleeve that is angled doesn't work) as well as wering the Apple ones upside down.

I persoanlly have the EX71's and think they are not that bad for the price. That being said they are not that great either. I find that after a while you notice they tend to muddle the mids and high together which can be annoying. I have just bought a pair of Shure e2's to try which form every review I have read is a love or hate thing. It all depends on what you want to spend.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Rivak
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 01:31 PM

I have the sony's and they work great for me. sound good, stay put, lightweight, comfortable. !

CaptianScooby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 09:40 PM

I have the Shure E3's. Ilove them and they work great. A little pricey .... but that site www.head-fi.org is great. Try them

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2004, 01:58 AM

I used the Sonys for two years, which were awesome, though they tend to wear out after about a year. Then I switched to the Apple buds and they were HORRIBLE. Just awful. They just wouldn't fit well enough to provide decent sound, and would never stay in, no matter what size cover I used. Even when I used the Sony covers on the Apple buds, though it was an improvement, they still did not feel comfortable, and I hated the long cord of the Apple buds. I gave them away after just ONE DAY. And bought another pair of Sonys. Which to this day I still love. You can see how I use them with my iPod hanging around my neck in this photo. Or I use them with the Apple Remote. I hate long headphone cables, and I find the Sony "around the back" cord design to be way better than a "v" cord.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
I can assure you that I was not wearing them wrong. The bass was bad on my pair, but like I said, it probably wasn't the exact same model.
Sorry Wataru, I didnt say that with the assumption that you are a moron or anything. It's just that a lot of people who tried my ear buds on always seat them incorrectly the first time. They are not used to in ear earbuds that go WAAAAY INTO THE EAR compared the the usual ones that sit nestled in the front (like the stock ipod earphones). these guys go further in and alot of people make that mistake. i guess i coulda worded it differently.

as for the difference, there really is no difference, it's cosmetic. if you check on amazon, you can get 'em for 35 bux or so, depending on the model.

MODELS

51LP

this one has rigid earstems, not unlike the apple ipod ones, rigid as in, the little tab piece hanging off the speaker part (the piece that houses the speaker and the cable) is rigid. this is the current one i use. i like the styling, and it is basically the same earbud as the 71's. just the earstem and styling is different. this has the typical long cord, and the sony "L" format cord. this way, there is only one cord leading to your head, and the right earbud loops around the back of your neck. (of course you could just switch 'em around, i just say it as they are labeled L/R) This has the typical one piece long cord.

71SL
This has a rubber/silicone earstem. while it is more comfortable when u are lying in a pillow (the earstems will flex, so you can wear them while you sleep. the 51's would feel uncomfortable sleeping on the side but these will flex and will feel better while sleeping or in bed trying to sleep) the biggest feature besides earstem material is the short cord design. it has a very short cord as it is made to be used with remotes that have their own length of cord. if you ever used the apple remote with regular long corded earbuds, you'll know about how you have to wrap the cord before it becomes one long tangle. this pair is the most flexible because you can use it as a short cord, or with the included long cord "extension" you can use it as a regular earbud (with extension, it is approx as long as the 51's cords so you are gaining versitility ... personally, i love the design of the extension)

while this may be just my experience, i find the 51's more durable. maybe the flexing of the silicone is what damages the wiring to the earpieces. the 51's i currently use tend to last longer than the soft stemmed ones i've used in the past.

71LP
same as the 71sl but with a one length cord like the 51lp. no extension. less flexibility.

since the 51 is cheaper, i recommend those if you want to try them out at the cheapest price. they offer the same sound quality, just different styling. if you are dying for the ipod look, go on ebay and buy the 71sl in white/gray. they are said to match the ipod really well. and the extension would be great (use it if you dont use remote, remove it if you do use the remote).

current amazon prices

51lp

71sl

both feature super saver shipping! so they both ship for free... wow they are getting dirt cheap ... trust me ..

note- i hear there is a break in period, where they sound better after they are "broken in" as in, they initially sound ok, then will "mature" and sound better after a little bit of usage. i dont know if this is true, but figured is hould point that out.

note- it takes a little getting used to ... (to put these guys in and seat them correctly in your ears) but once you figure it out, you'll get used to it within a week if u use them often. keep trying until the bass comes through nice and strong. they have incredible bass once they are seated properly ...

edit- just realized i should mention the rest of the range sounds good too .. just that .. the bass is the best indicator if how well seated the earbuds are. if they are seated improperly .. there will be little bass coming through. once they are plugged in nice and snug, and properly set, they will stay in your ears and will not fall out. the bass will be very solid if seated properly ... i think it's the best indicator (of whether or not they are seated properly) but i'm just rambling now ..

good luck .. sorry for the long post..

Nacente
Aug 26, 2004, 07:53 AM

I heard the iPod ones are the best.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 01:23 PM

Sorry Wataru, I didnt say that with the assumption that you are a moron or anything. It's just that a lot of people who tried my ear buds on always seat them incorrectly the first time. They are not used to in ear earbuds that go WAAAAY INTO THE EAR compared the the usual ones that sit nestled in the front (like the stock ipod earphones). these guys go further in and alot of people make that mistake. i guess i coulda worded it differently.
Yeah, I can see how some people wouldn't wear them correctly. But I wore these for like a week, and I happen to like earbuds, so I'm not shy about sticking stuff in my ears. The fact is, the sound was just plain tinny as compared to another pair of Sony earbuds I had. I wish I could find the model number; this was years ago so I'm sure it was different.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 01:25 AM

hmmm ... no idea =P ... if you had a sony store around ... maybe they'd let you trade 'em out with another pair to see if it was a lemon .. but that might have been a hassle

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by Nacente:
I heard the iPod ones are the best.
Theyre pretty good for about 2 weeks then they start popping or crackling....Im using the Sony MDR-Q55 headphones and they work pretty well...Wish they were a lil' louder though.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

mike one  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 07:48 PM

thanks to everyone

i think i'm going to check out the sony 51s.

i really appreciate everyones' thoughts.

=)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 05:32 PM

just so you know, with extension, it is supposed to be as long as typical earbuds cords, so you are pretty much using a regular ear bud when u have extension on. the reason why it is so short when u take the extension off, is because you use the short piece only if you are using a remote. it was designed for minidisc players, as almost all minidisc players use a remote. there is no sense in using a full length remote (remote has a cord too) and a full length earbud. you'd end up with miles of cording .. (which is what i have at the moment because my 51's dont have extgension .. it's just one long cord. so if you use the remote, dont use the extension, just the short part, and the remote is supposed to be at chest pocket level .. or used to clip onto your shirt ... atleast that's the idea ...

this makes the sony's more flexible.
The Sonys with the extension are about 18" to 24" longer than the standard iPod earphones. They are also at least 12" longer than the old Sony headphones (51's?) of the same design that existed *before* they went to the "short cord with extension" cord.

With the extension, they're annoyingly long to me. But that's mainly because I wear them while riding my bike, and the new ones have a 24" loop out the bottom of my jersey, where the old ones had a 6" or so loop.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
The Sonys with the extension are about 18" to 24" longer than the standard iPod earphones. They are also at least 12" longer than the old Sony headphones (51's?) of the same design that existed *before* they went to the "short cord with extension" cord.

With the extension, they're annoyingly long to me. But that's mainly because I wear them while riding my bike, and the new ones have a 24" loop out the bottom of my jersey, where the old ones had a 6" or so loop.
are you serious? .. i had a pair a while back .. with the extension ... i didnt notice it being any longer ... hrmmm ... it's been a while =P

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 04:14 AM

so ... how are they?

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 11:03 AM

I have the MX400's and the Shure e5c's. I love the MX400's, they will definitely give you bang for your buck. If you're willing to spend a lot more money on phones, go with the Shure e5c's or the Etymotic ER4P/S.

I'm not the biggest fans of the Sony phones at all. Their high end stuff, like the R10's and CD3000's, are great phones, but I cannot stand the EX series. I think they have way too much bass.

So from my personal experience (and my ears' tastes), I'm a huge, huge fan of the Sennheiser MX400's. So I'd say, go with those.

Forum Links
Forum Rules