Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Canadian Genocide in Sudan

Canadian Genocide in Sudan
PacHead
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 04:02 PM

Go Canada !

In the lawsuit, Calgary-based Talisman Energy, Canada's biggest independent oil and gas exploration and production company, is accused of such crimes as ethnic cleansing, killings, war crimes, confiscation of property, enslavement, kidnapping and rape in Sudan.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...01/1012024.asp

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 04:16 PM

Of course Canadians could do this, any nation's people could commit such crimes. Just proves that every country has it's scum (it's simply the US that catches the most flack for it's citizens' transgressions). I seem to remember the French were doing their own fair share of raping in Africa not too long ago. Anyhow, nothing new... but it is something to think about next time someone posts another "F*** America" thread.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ambush
Banned
Sep 2, 2005, 04:19 PM

I'm SO glad we're separating soon

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 2, 2005, 04:23 PM

You going to join France?

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
That will always be the dream. Everyone loves French Canadians.

At any rate I am not surprised something like this happened from an oil and gas company, they are all corrupt bastards.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2005, 04:27 PM

The article is of course very one-sided.
Talisman mapped out areas intended for exploration and discussed how to dispose of civilians in those areas, according to the suit.
From the perspective of the people bringing the suit, the term "dispose of" is obviously meant to indicate a wanton disregard for the lives of the locals. However, if I'm in a foreign country I have to work with that country's government to be able to get things done-it is completely possible that Talisman discussed with the government "relocating" the locals, and the government (we're talking about Sudan, remember-not the "warmest and fuzziest" of governments) decided the locals were no longer human. It's never a good idea to start getting ideas about "what really happened" in a civil action until you've heard BOTH sides of the story.

Oh, ambush, I hope you're wrong. Both Quebec and the other provinces would lose SO MUCH by the disintegration of the confederation. Besides, who will you argue with (or about) without the English speakers?!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Oh, ambush, I hope you're wrong. Both Quebec and the other provinces would lose SO MUCH by the disintegration of the confederation.
I hope he's right. The totalitarian run Quebec, with their Stalinistic language laws along their xenophobic population that speaks a funny tongue and wishes to secede would be much worse off after it leaves. It would be a total disaster for them. I hope that other reasonable Canadians grant Quebecians their right to secede. No people should have to live under occupation.

ambush
Banned
Sep 2, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
I hope he's right. The totalitarian run Quebec, with their Stalinistic language laws along their xenophobic population that speaks a funny tongue and wishes to secede would be much worse off after it leaves. It would be a total disaster for them. I hope that other reasonable Canadians grant Quebecians their right to secede. No people should have to live under occupation.
hey, dude, do you like it when for instance, you go to the convenience store and all you see are spanish language signs and instructions. We don't. Of course, here it's English instead of Spanish.

ambush
Banned
Sep 2, 2005, 04:42 PM

I think you know nothing about Quebec, Johnny.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
We shall find out when you secede now won't we ?

OreoCookie
Sep 2, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
... but it is something to think about next time someone posts another "F*** America" thread.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 05:04 PM

And you know nothing of history.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 2, 2005, 05:09 PM

Another PuckHead Canadian lovefest.

From Heaven of course.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 05:20 PM

I will say this: oil companies are generally horrendous to employees and citizens in poor or third-world countries. If these allegations prove true, hopefully the company will be brought to full justice.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2005, 05:30 PM

It looks as though this lawsuit has been filed against an oil company that happens to be based in Canada, and not against Canada itself. I don't see how that can be called "Canadian genocide", given that it seems to have had nothing to do with the Canadian government.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Atomic Rooster
Sep 2, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
It looks as though this lawsuit has been filed against an oil company that happens to be based in Canada, and not against Canada itself. I don't see how that can be called "Canadian genocide", given that it seems to have had nothing to do with the Canadian government.
It's a PacHead thing. He has a hate thing going with Canadians, gays, French, French-Canadian gays, etc.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 05:39 PM

Please come visit us in Montréal!

We'll show you how Stalinist and Saddamist Hussainist we can be!

There are large, huge, titanic holes in the ground with caves full of Eingliche that cut in in tiny pieces to fill the void. We also make sure to grow the Eingliche from trees so we can never run short of victims to exploit and torture!

We need some new blood though.

So please feel welcome!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
I will say this: oil companies are generally horrendous to employees and citizens in poor or third-world countries. If these allegations prove true, hopefully the company will be brought to full justice.
As Canadian, I expect no less.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 05:46 PM

Oh I wish Quebec would separate. I give em five years on their own before they come crawling back, or join America. Fact is if Quebec separates then that means a whole lot more government cash for the rest of the provinces. Actually it'd be really great if the West from BC to north western ont split off too!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 05:49 PM

I'm SO glad we're separating soon
soon being never?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Oh I wish Quebec would separate. I give em five years on their own before they come crawling back, or join America. Fact is if Quebec separates then that means a whole lot more government cash for the rest of the provinces. Actually it'd be really great if the West from BC to north western ont split off too!
Merci Salty de nous faire nous sentir plus désirés comme canadiens jour après jour!

Emile M. Cioran

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 05:54 PM

hey, dude, do you like it when for instance, you go to the convenience store and all you see are spanish language signs and instructions. We don't. Of course, here it's English instead of Spanish.
and here its Chinese and Punjabi, what is your point. Even if you separated you would still have that English sign to deal with just as I have to deal with chinese signs and Punjabi sign. Just think how much companies could save and the government too if every label and federal sign didn't need any french on it. Even better how many more jobs would open up from Canada Post to other agencies that would no longer require that you speak English and French. Quebec has no clue how much influence they have across the entire country. When I came back into Canada yesterday, the signs have Stop and Arret, and everything was posted in English and French. Quebec would lose all that if separated.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 05:55 PM

Quebec isn't going to separate.

And ambush: seeing as how you can speak and read english, I don't see why it's a problem having english signs all around. You want french? go to france. Then again you probably wouldn't like their signs either, as they use real french and not a bastardization of the french language.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 05:57 PM

And you have english signs in France too

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:21 PM

It's a curious thing, the old separatist attitude. I've recently returned from spending several days in quite a few Quebec cities and towns. The sole sign I witnessed bearing any english had the word 'Mike's' in it. As in Mike's Supermarché. The fact is that Quebec represents the sole unilingual jurisdiction in Canada.

Quebec already has more autonomy than any state or province in North America, and more than some European Union states. Officially bilingual Canada provides a huge 'buffer' of protection for the french language in Quebec. Without the linguistic 'protection' provided by Canada in requiring all goods/services to be provided in both official languages, an independent Quebec would truly be inundated with english, as its small market would hold no leverage in demanding french labeling on its imports.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the above reasoning, Ambush.

As someone has previously iterated, this thread title is yet another unfortunate factual misrepresentation by a known Canada-basher.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
Quebec isn't going to separate.
I agree.

And ambush: seeing as how you can speak and read english, I don't see why it's a problem having english signs all around.
It is a cultural identity thing. I am OK with English signs, but I love the French ones.

You want french? go to france.
Well, not cool at all. Go back to England, will you? Fisrt Nations have a few words for you...

Then again you probably wouldn't like their signs either, as they use real french and not a bastardization of the french language.
Again, not cool, not useful, not necessary. n:

Emile M. Cioran

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
Well, not cool at all. Go back to England, will you? Fisrt Nations have a few words for you...

I didn't tell him to go back to france, I simply meant if he wants strictly french, then france is the place to be.

As for the second part, I know it wasn't necessary, I was just poking a lil fun

As a side note, I live in a county (Brant County) with a huge reservation, trust me I hear about their qualms with us english folk all the time Plus how'd you know I wasn't native?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 06:35 PM

I agree.

It is a cultural identity thing. I am OK with English signs, but I love the French ones.

Fisrt Nations will be breed out with in the next 50 years

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 06:37 PM

I didn't tell him to go back to france, I simply meant if he wants strictly french, then france is the place to be.

As for the second part, I know it wasn't necessary, I was just poking a lil fun

As a side note, I live in a county (Brant County) with a huge reservation, trust me I hear about their qualms with us english folk all the time Plus how'd you know I wasn't native?
Because of...

Because!

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
Actually, several Nations already disappeared.

Emile M. Cioran

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:38 PM

I simply meant if he wants strictly french, then france is the place to be.
Again, Quebec is as unilingual French as it gets. How they attract American tourism is quite beyond me! Trying to navigate Montreal's road signage in the midst of road repair season (May - October!) must be utter hell for unilingual english visitors. It's difficult enough for those of us who speak the language.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:42 PM

One can only hope. (no I'm not racist, I just have a dislike for a lot of the natives round these parts )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:44 PM

Because of...

Because!

Cause I wouldn't own a computer, and if I did, I'd be at the bar drinking instead of typing?

I kid... I kid...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 06:45 PM

One can only hope. (no I'm not racist, I just have a dislike for a lot of the natives round these parts )
Same. You should visit Vancouver's downtown east end, prob make yours more lovable.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 06:54 PM

Merci Salty de nous faire nous sentir plus désirés comme canadiens jour après jour!
Mon ami, ne soyez pas affligé par de petits esprits avec de grandes bouches! Le Canada ne serait pas le Canada sans les Québecois et leur culture distincte.
( Last edited by DBursey; Sep 2, 2005 at 07:04 PM. Reason: désolé!)

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 07:10 PM

Well that's one thing the french offer us - great culture and cuisine.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 07:17 PM

I thought dual language was the the law since Pearson's days!

EDIT: Ooops. Just read D.Bursey's post.
( Last edited by mojo2; Sep 2, 2005 at 07:40 PM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 07:25 PM

Same. You should visit Vancouver's downtown east end, prob make yours more lovable.

"It bugs me that I am sitting in a nice clean home, with food and water and I can't do a single thing to help out fellow humans with babies and children knee deep in water, starving 5 days on. Pray for those people, pray for the kids. Pray for America." Athens' sig.
There are humans who are hurting in your own community. Not everyone is called to go to the most PUBLICIZED area of need. God put you where you are for a reason. He needs your compassion put to use THERE, not here.

But, if you really feel the need to go to NOLA go to the Red Cross or Salvation Army and ask if you can volunteer to be sent to help specifically in NOLA.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
Another PuckHead Canadian lovefest.

From Heaven of course.
ROFLMAO
This is my second favorite img.

Haha! Man is #1.

Pope is #2!

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey
Mon ami, ne soyez pas affligé par de petits esprits avec de grandes bouches! Le Canada ne serait pas le Canada sans les Québecois et leur culture distincte.
DBursey, I think we are friends.

Merci bien!

P.S.: let's use "différente" instead of "distincte" to avoid any confusion.

Emile M. Cioran

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Being from a French Canadian family, I think the French are hated as equally as the English.

I actually can't think of anybody the French Canadians don't hate.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Being from a French Canadian family, I think the French are hated as equally as the English.

I actually can't think of anybody the French Canadians don't hate.
I love you like a brother.

Emile M. Cioran

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 05:27 AM

nothing wrong with the quebecois wanting to preserve their own language and culture. some people [mainly the english speaking ones] just need to make the effort to learn more languages, instead of thinking the whole world should turn into some english-speaking cultural themepark for their benefit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules