Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > T Minus 2 Hours

T Minus 2 Hours
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2006, 08:57 AM

Hoo-hah!

Some of you may remember, but for those who don't; a couple of weeks ago, my MacBook died.

I took it to the Regent Street store, they said it would cost £525 to fix. I spoke with the manager, he said he would see what he could do about making that £0.

Today, I done gone got a call saying that, first, my MacBook is all fixed and ready to be picked up, and second, that I definitely do not have to pay a penny for the repairs.

Hoo-hah!

Apparently, the cause of it all, so the lady told me on the phone, was that the RAM I bought was the wrong kind, with chips on both sides rather than just one. I noted the double sidedness when I opened the box, but I didn't realise it would cause me such woe...

So, back to 512MB instead of 2GB for a while, but hopefully, within a couple of hours, I shall be posting a happy post from within the Apple Store, on my shiny, fixed MacBook.

First though, I eat lunch!
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 09:00 AM

Nice 1!! Now get that MacBook, go to www.bbc.co.uk/sport, and watch England v Paraguay!!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2006, 10:47 AM

Aw yeah...

It is done. My machine works once more.

Apple so nice to me! I like you, Apple!
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 11:09 AM

Cool. Did they give you the RAM back? (assuming you left it in there when you sent it off?)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Cool. Did they give you the RAM back? (assuming you left it in there when you sent it off?)
Yup, I try to get a refund from the place I bought it next week, then probably crawl back to Crucial.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2006, 11:25 AM

Ooh, only weird thing I've come across: my serial number is now "SystemSeumb" instead of the numbers and letters it used to be. I assume is because of new logic board. Oh, well.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2006, 11:29 AM

That must be a relief for you. I'm glad Apple came through.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 12:12 PM

Really? My crucial ram has chips on both sides and I've been running for a couple of weeks now. I'm not sure if I should be worried.

What brand of memory did you get?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 12:24 PM

Most memory has chips on both sides. The 512 chip that came in my iMac had chips on both sides. The only chips I have seen WITHOUT chips on both sides are the 2 x 256 chips that came in my MacBook, however I now have 2 x 512s in there, running fine, and both have chips on both sides.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 04:54 PM

Earlier today, partly in response to the posts here, and partly to satisfy my own curiosity, I swapped out the original two 256MB RAM chips for the two 1GB chips (Transcend is the brand, bought from Willzyx).

My first reason was to see how those pesky RAM levers are meant to work. They're pretty damn easy to use, I tell you what! My original logic board, they must have been busted in some way...

My second reason was to see if Apple were right about the 1GB chips not working. They were wrong! Both chips are inside my MacBook now, and are running perfectly; I tested using both the Apple Hardware Test and also memtest.

Also, that little bit of solder I accidentally chipped off one of the original 256MB chips? Whatever it was, it doesn't stop the RAM working! I used 512MB all yesterday, and it worked fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules