Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > One more reason I love Mac's

One more reason I love Mac's
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2007, 05:52 PM

I just thought there might be those out there wondering what OS X can do with Apples hardware so here is something i am working on now that I got my Apple TV. I had all of my movies backed up as .avi files and now i need them as quicktime movies and so i am using Quictime Pro to convert them into .mov files while i am postine this. Look at all of those movies. I am doing all of those posting this and watching a home movie on 17" MBP.

( Last edited by MARINEOSX; Apr 7, 2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: forgot to say what i was using)
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2007, 09:51 PM

Of course, encoding all those videos is going to take much more time than it would have if you'd just done one or two individually, but it's nice that the system doesn't grind to a complete halt in the process.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2007, 10:54 PM

You got all those movies legally right? I can tell that Doom isn't...
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211 View Post
You got all those movies legally right? I can tell that Doom isn't...
who cares?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2007, 12:50 AM

I was just kidding, if you didn't get my joke.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 03:43 PM

Just FYI, the plural of Mac is "Macs". Mac's = Mac is.

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 02:04 PM

no they are legal but i was in iraq for a year and there were a bunch of poeple that had movies from the locals and they are legal as well as the copyright does not apply there. but the quality is trash so when the movie came to the px i purchased it and ripped it but had to tell between the 2 because for those that had not seen it we would trade the hodgy version not the copyright version that i payed for. LOL I am sure you understand. LMAO. Oh and Macs Mac's I really dont care and i am sure that people understand what i men even an english major like you besson a little off subject but why post something that does not help the situation if you dont have something important to add shut up ahh that pisses me off lmao.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2007, 03:27 PM

Can you cite a reference for why copyright law (either the Iraqi copyright law or US copyright law) doesn't apply in Iraq?

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by MARINEOSX View Post
no they are legal but i was in iraq for a year and there were a bunch of poeple that had movies from the locals and they are legal as well as the copyright does not apply there. but the quality is trash so when the movie came to the px i purchased it and ripped it but had to tell between the 2 because for those that had not seen it we would trade the hodgy version not the copyright version that i payed for. LOL I am sure you understand. LMAO. Oh and Macs Mac's I really dont care and i am sure that people understand what i men even an english major like you besson a little off subject but why post something that does not help the situation if you dont have something important to add shut up ahh that pisses me off lmao.
So, a Marine wouldn't care too much about a mistake when calling in artillery support?

Sure, this is just a forum, but attitude counts for something—according to the environment you're in.

And you're here.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Just FYI, the plural of Mac is "Macs". Mac's = Mac is.
Mac' is surely an abbreviation of Macintosh though? Ergo... Mac's as an abbreviated way of explaining that he loves all Macintosh computers is still correct?

It's much more annoying when people confuse Mac (computer) with MAC (cosmetic company or Media Access Control address?).

I have too much time on my hands

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by MARINEOSX View Post
no they are legal but i was in iraq for a year and there…
Well if you're back in the good old USA, and you still have them, or any trace of them, then they aren't legal (even if it’s true that there is no copyright/IP protection law in IRAQ).

Don’t the music/film/software industries run campaigns saying that money spent on pirated DVDs/CDs/etc ends up in the pockets of criminal enterprises? Does anyone doubt that is true?

So, doesn’t that indicate that you’re going out there, fighting the good fight, and funding the people that you’re fighting against!? The criminal enterprises/terrorists/insurgents/freedom fighters of Iraq?

LMAO!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by fire3500 View Post
Mac' is surely an abbreviation of Macintosh though? Ergo... Mac's as an abbreviated way of explaining that he loves all Macintosh computers is still correct?
No. You don't add apostrophes to the end of abbreviations in English.
"Mac's" is the possessive; use it when referring to things that your Mac has (e.g. "My Mac's hard drive" or "Her Mac's fans").

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
No. You don't add apostrophes to the end of abbreviations in English.
Erm, in *English* you add apostrophes wherever there’s a letter missing: it’s, they’re, isn’t, rock ’n’ roll, can’t…

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2007, 09:19 PM

To get this thread back on track... that is impressive! What are vitals on your macbook pro?
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Erm, in *English* you add apostrophes wherever there’s a letter missing: it’s, they’re, isn’t, rock ’n’ roll, can’t…
Only if the missing letters are in the middle of the abbreviation.

Mac only cuts off the end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules