Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Take-Apart WD Passport?

Take-Apart WD Passport?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007, 10:34 AM

If I were to buy the 250GB WD Passport Portable rather than the bare 250GB hard drive, does anyone know if it is possible to crack open the case and put the 60GB drive from my MacBook inside of it? The passport is only ~£10 more than the bare drive, which isn't too bad a price for a SATA enclosure... But I have not been able to find anything on Google as to its feasibility.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 01:18 PM

I opened up my LaCie d2 external drive and put a larger hard drive in it after the warranty has been expired. Not sure about the WD model, but guess most of them are the same.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 11:06 PM

Are you sure the drive in the WD Passport is an SATA mechanism? If its a PATA drive, it wont work in your MacBook.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Are you sure the drive in the WD Passport is an SATA mechanism? If its a PATA drive, it wont work in your MacBook.
One of the nice things about these huge-capacity laptop drives is that no-one has yet bothered to make them in PATA form, SATA is all you can get, so no worries about imcompatiblility. As far as taking the case apart, I've found out you can pry it apart with your fingernails / a credit card, so I shall most likely be getting it. Just waiting for shops to actually have them in stock.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2007, 10:49 AM

it could be too tall for your macbook though - how many mm do you have to play with? 9mm, 9.5mm etc?
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ixus_123 View Post
it could be too tall for your macbook though - how many mm do you have to play with? 9mm, 9.5mm etc?
The 60GB Toshiba one that is in my MacBook already is 9.5mm high, as is the Western Digital one used in the Passport. It's as if these companies almost want people to buy their hard drives and use them in current laptops... However, I just earlier today realised that I won'ta actually have cash to spare until the middle of July, so by then the Samsung and Fujitsu ones may be more readily available here in Germany and then I shall see which is best value.
( Last edited by megasad; Jun 24, 2007 at 06:02 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules