Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G: Yellow screen problem

iPhone 3G: Yellow screen problem
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 05:59 PM

iPhone 3G screen yellow

It seems some people are reporting their 3G screens are noticeably more yellow than their previous EDGE iPhones.

Batch problem? Or screen model issue? (A slightly yellower screen might not actually mean there's anything wrong with it. It might just be how the screen was designed... ie. cheaper.) Or could it just be a colour calibration issue?

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 06:03 PM

This is the second reason I waited to buy one. I want all bugs/glitches/affairs gone and worked out before I upgrade (if 3G ever comes around to begin with)

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2008, 06:05 PM

I have one and sat it side-by-side my Edge iPhone, no difference in color, I actually think the 3G screen is brighter....
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 06:07 PM

I wouldn't doubt that it's a cheaper panel. Remember the whole mess with the iPod Touch vs iPhone screen?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 06:11 PM

Yeah, reports are mixed. Some say they look the same, while others report the 3G is yellower.

Might be a batch issue.

moep
Senior User
Jul 11, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by UltimaLaw View Post
I have one and sat it side-by-side my Edge iPhone, no difference in color, I actually think the 3G screen is brighter....
probably because the 3G one is new.

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I wouldn't doubt that it's a cheaper panel. Remember the whole mess with the iPod Touch vs iPhone screen?
Yeah, I think so too. In fact there were rumors that the 3G iPhone would use a (lower quality?) iPod touch screen a few weeks ago. I mean something's gotta give when they are slashing the price in half... we shall see.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
probably because the 3G one is new.

Yeah, I think so too. In fact there were rumors that the 3G iPhone would use a (lower quality?) iPod touch screen a few weeks ago. I mean something's gotta give when they are slashing the price in half... we shall see.
2 Reasons why your thoughts are flawed. 1) There is no official statement anywhere that Apple went to a different panel, and 2) I'm sitting here looking at it and mine is NOT yellow....maybe the people that are complaining got a bad batch or are just color blind!
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 06:22 PM

I mean something's gotta give when they are slashing the price in half... we shall see.
My understanding is the unit price has not be sliced in half. It's the wireless provider's pricing model that has changed.

moep
Senior User
Jul 11, 2008, 06:24 PM

2 Reasons why your thoughts are flawed. 1) There is no official statement anywhere that Apple went to a different panel, and 2) I'm sitting here looking at it and mine is NOT yellow....maybe the people that are complaining got a bad batch or are just color blind!
Uh sorry for dissing your purdy new toy, no need to get your panties in a bunch.
I never claimed to state facts, it might just be a simple white-balance issue that can be fixed with a software update.

Besides that, if they really downgraded the display — of course they wouldn't announce it officially. "Look guys, we made our flagship product worse to cut the price and help sales. Enjoy!"

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
My understanding is the unit price has not be sliced in half. It's the wireless provider's pricing model that has changed.
True, I forgot that Apple allows carriers to subsidize the phones now.

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2008, 07:38 PM

Uh sorry for dissing your purdy new toy, no need to get your panties in a bunch.
I never claimed to state facts, it might just be a simple white-balance issue that can be fixed with a software update.

Besides that, if they really downgraded the display — of course they wouldn't announce it officially. "Look guys, we made our flagship product worse to cut the price and help sales. Enjoy!"

True, I forgot that Apple allows carriers to subsidize the phones now.
It has nothing to do with my new toy, your the one that is obviously mad that you couldn't buy one, but seriously the "omg 1 person said something so it must be widespread and true" logic is the obvious best choice.....

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 08:06 AM

It has nothing to do with my new toy, your the one that is obviously mad that you couldn't buy one, but seriously the "omg 1 person said something so it must be widespread and true" logic is the obvious best choice.....
It's funny when someone tries to attack another member and doesn't know the difference between Your and You're. BTW, look at the picture in the first post and tell us all there isn't a difference in the color of the screens. Just because YOUR screen looks the same, doesn't mean they all do.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

drainyoo
Senior User
Jul 12, 2008, 07:23 PM

I actually prefer the yellow tint on the new phone. I think it looks a lot better. The first gen iphone screen was way too blue and cold but we never noticed it because we had nothing to compare it to. Now that we have both phones you can see a difference. I think people are overreacting because in time your eyes will adjust and you won't even notice the change. In the end this color reproduction is better. Stop comparing.
i hate project managers.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 07:40 PM

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 07:47 PM

But this came from marketing, not engineering.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 07:54 PM

I have both and the new phone is more of a yellow tint. It threw me off just looking at the screen but I quickly converted over. It looks brighter to me and I found reading type was easier than the bluer screen off the first-gen models.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 02:02 AM

The new screen looks a bit yellow-ish compared to the old one. The new iPhone is also brighter though, so I'm glad I'm getting a new one.

moep
Senior User
Jul 13, 2008, 06:27 PM

To set the record straight, I talked to Apple’s senior director of iPhone product marketing, Bob Borchers. Borchers indicated that this definitely isn’t a bug or a display defect. Yes, the display on the iPhone 3G has a warmer look—and that’s by design. The previous iPhone’s white was more of a cool blue (Borchers likened it to harsh fluorescent lighting), while this one’s is warmer and more of a sunny yellow.
Source

So the color-temperature was altered via firmware. Apple should just offer 2-3 different settings since some people seem to prefer the warmer colors. It shouldn't be hard to implement that after all.

In related news:
Tip: Updating iPhone to 5A347 reduces yellow tinge

WorkClothes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2008, 11:05 AM

Take a look at the comparison screen of the 3G and the previous iPhone in this article:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/iPhone-3G.htm

The yellow screen is better for outdoor viewing though.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 12:55 PM

I don't have a 2.5G to compare, but I'd say my 3G isn't too yellow. I definitely prefer it to the overly blue colour balance of some LCD devices.

I wouldn't complain if the colour got slightly cooler, but not too much cooler like PC computer screens.

I'm using the supposedly yellower 5A345 by the way. I got no option to update to 5A347 when I sync'd the unit. I'm not sure it's worth doing a restore just to get this either. It might be worth it if 5A347 is more stable though. 5A345 will crash once-in-a-while with some 3rd applications and a few websites too.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 01:35 PM

I dont see this as a problem but seems like it enhances colors on the phone...cheers to Apple for recognizing this issue...if you dont like it im sure someone will write a screen color temp program.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules