Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple's BT Keyboard Weight?

Apple's BT Keyboard Weight?
slider
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2012, 09:56 AM

Can someone tell me what the weight of Apple's latest BT keyboard is (model MC184LL/B)? I'd like to know what it is with the 2 AA batteries installed.

Not a lot of detail on Apple's page and Amazon lists it as weighing 1lbs, which can't be right because it's shipping weight is 13.6 oz and includes the 2 AA batteries.

For those of you that don't know, a pound is 16 oz, not 12 oz, which I believe is what the person who wrote up the spec on Amazon is thinking.

ibook_steve
Mar 30, 2012, 03:14 PM

Maybe they rounded up to a pound. Curious why you need more detail on this than what you already have from Apple and Amazon.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 03:28 PM

From the German Apple Store page, where somebody asked this exact question:

Excluding batteries: 280 grams
Including Batteries: ca. 325 grams

In packaging: 481g

Wie schwer ist die Tastatur? - Apple Store (Deutschland)

ibook_steve
Mar 30, 2012, 03:39 PM

280 g = 9.8767093 oz.
325 g = 11.464038 oz.
481 g = 16.966776 = 1 lb., 2 oz.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2012, 07:25 PM

My interest is the weight is portability and, perhaps more importantly, self justification to spend the money on it. I'll be using it with my iPad. I have a HP BT keyboard that I bought when I grabbed one of those $99 Touchpads. Now that I have my iPad, I'll be selling my Touchpad on eBay and was planning on bundling this HP keyboard with it. It's about 10.5 oz with batteries. It actually works very well with the iPad and I found the equivelent cmd, alt, and control keys on it so I can do the copy, cut, paste, undo, etc. From what I can tell, it at least has the same functions that work on Apple's keyboard with the iPad.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should keep this HP keyboard or bundle it and get the Apple keyboard. Being a bit of a mac geek guest which way I'm leaning Although the HP is about an ounce ligher, decision decision...

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2012, 07:26 PM

Oh, and thank you both.

Forum Links
Forum Rules