Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much is it for Apple to replace /fix my lid...it's destroyed...

How much is it for Apple to replace /fix my lid...it's destroyed...
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2001, 10:35 PM

I'm not one to really bitch and complain about cosmetic issues...but this one takes the cake

It appears as though someone stored my G4 UNDER our recliner couch, so that the dogs don't step on it...
when i wen to retrieve the G4...image 9-10 black streaks from one side of the apple all the way to the other, not to mention them being about 3/4 and inch thick, and two HUGE dents...

Ya...so how much is it to have this fixed/replaced?
does Apple Care cover it?
how about my warrenty?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2001, 11:40 PM

Sorry to hear about this. You said there's two huge dents. Does the screen work ok? Is this cosmetic damage, or are there functional problems with the G4? You should take the unit to an Apple Specialst shop, and have them give you an estimate. Warranty and AppleCare won't cover damage due to stuff like this; they only cover mechanical and electronic defects, such as hard drives dieing, pixels burning out, modems not working, etc. If it's obvious that the damage was due to external forces, you're stuck paying for repairs.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2001, 12:57 AM

I cannot believe that Apple would actually paint a portable. I have been extremely careful with my machine only one week old and it already has 2 scratch marks. This is ridiculous and I wish they had left the plastic casings. Apple take note: Next time use realistic materials for a computer which will be used on the road!

Nick

<sdfsdfsdff>
Nov 24, 2001, 01:41 AM

Probably $1000-$1300. They have to replace the whole top half, including LCD. Not a cheap part.

If it works fine, I'd just suck it up. The dents give it character.

Alex

<John>
Nov 24, 2001, 03:21 AM

Try www.pbparts.com. They sell the lcd screen for around $900, along with other stuff for the PB G4

<solidage>
Nov 24, 2001, 11:56 AM

$1050!!!!
thats what the apple replacement page says!
THATS 1/2 the price of the DAMNED COMPUTER
THATS REDICULOUS!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 12:35 PM

Is it really, considering it's HALF of the computer, shouldn't it be HALF the price?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

RWoelk
Senior User
Nov 24, 2001, 12:45 PM

A good laptop's LCD is about half the value of your computer. And Apple's is especially large compared to most.

Consider "Safeware aka CIA" insurance the next go around. They cover up to replacement cost for just about any eventuality including earthquakes if you choose to carry it. That said, you still have to show physical damage that exceeds the mere cosmetic. They're rather reasonable about this kind of thing and in your case, you would have been likely covered.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: RWoelk ]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2001, 03:15 PM

You're either going to have to live with it or cough up the $1,000 to get it repaired.

If the screen works fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd get one of those cases that wraps around the 'Book. Those cases people used to keep their Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo 'Books in are very good about hiding cosmetic damage to the back of the computer, as only the glowing Apple shows through. Don't ask me where to find them. It's been a while.

Then again, tell the person who left the 'Book under the couch to cough up the dough.

bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2001, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by RWoelk:
<STRONG>Only the educated...</STRONG>
Sorry to intrude but this quote has been bugging me.

Seems we both live in CA where 'education' is a joke. On the other hand Hitler's top soldiers were quite well educated. Throughout history education has been associated with brainwashing and clearly disassociated with independent thinking. I'm curious why this quote interests you and why it is appropriate for this forum. No complaints- I hope that someday education will be cleansed and oriented toward the benefit of young minds instead of old bureaucraps.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

RWoelk
Senior User
Nov 25, 2001, 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear this quote bugs you, (no pun intended, bugs) but you are quite right about the state of education here in California and many other parts of the country. It's simply a farce. The dumbing down of California's schools including it's higher institutions is really a thorn in my side. In large part, I find too few cultures and ethnic groups giving education it's due, and this lack of emphasis is rapidly extending to the population at large.

Fortunately, I was educated primarily back east long before the capricious "political correctness" was even a known concept. That said, I must take issue with your concept of education over time as contrary to independent thinking. I make a clear distinction between what you call "brainwashing" which has certainly existed throughout history, and a well rounded educational process which fosters true independent thinking. I believe independent thinking is as much a process of maturation as is one's education.

Using this quote is by no means touting that I am better educated than any of you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Clearly, some of you have the kind of specialized knowledge I crave and hope to gleam from these forums. The quote does, however, depict a kind of basic truth. Knowledge is empowering and freeing by it's very nature. My education in the sciences, medicine and law has never been complete. Indeed, it's a dynamic continuing process, but what I have learned has given me a real edge both on a personal and professional level.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: RWoelk ]

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2001, 02:31 PM

Well i just came back from the new Apple store @ Westfarms mall (since i'm home for turkey day)
Not a bad estimate...around $350 to fix it...i think i'm gunna go for it
any more info on the wrap around sleave like things?

bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2001, 11:45 PM

Sounds like you made out, Solidage.
Did they say how long it will take?

My dealer says that if my computer needs service they will loan me another till it is returned. Glad I bought from a local store this time.

Hi RWoelk, thanks for the thoughtful reply.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2001, 12:01 AM

well, i didn't send it out
oh well
maybe after christmas when teh family is down and they get to gawk at the ugyness of the unit :-(
oh well
i posted on the iBook forum as to what colour paint was used in making the TiBook/MiniTi (anyone reemember the post/location of the machine)
anyone know what colour paint?
spanks again

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2001, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by RWoelk:
<STRONG>A good laptop's LCD is about half the value of your computer.</STRONG>
Can't wait for expensive LCD's to be replaced by higher quality -- and much less expensive -- organic plastic LEP's. For more info on this technology, see these articles:

Screens of Plastic Could Be Fantastic
A Bright Future for Displays
The end of the LCD screen -- at last!

<STRONG>Only the educated are free!-Epictetus </STRONG>
Sorry to intrude but this quote has been bugging me.
Perhaps this quote is a little more to your liking?:

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to
remember from time to time that nothing that is worth
knowing can be taught.
<STRONG> -- Oscar Wilde (1856-1900) </STRONG>

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2001, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by solidage:
<STRONG>I'm not one to really bitch and complain about cosmetic issues...but this one takes the cake

It appears as though someone stored my G4 UNDER our recliner couch, so that the dogs don't step on it...
when i wen to retrieve the G4...image 9-10 black streaks from one side of the apple all the way to the other, not to mention them being about 3/4 and inch thick, and two HUGE dents...

Ya...so how much is it to have this fixed/replaced?
does Apple Care cover it?
how about my warrenty?</STRONG>
I feel your pain

2 days ago I was using my Ti in my lounge, I had nearly finished, closed it, and put it in its case on the floor...I didn't zip it shut....

Someone decided to pick up the case not realising it wasn't closed = Ti falls from waist height, hits a door edge, and then hits a hard wood floor

Anyway it survived...but now has battle scars that include a *deep* scratch across the front, and apple logo, and too many scratches on the bottom to count...

Anyway I'm not too mad, as it was going to scratch sooner or later anyway...and it survived! But it wass a blow none the less...

marc

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 08:44 PM

what the hell
one thing after another!
there is a LINNE of dirt across the screen!!!!
and @ te end of the screen theer is a larrrge buildup
and it sucks!!!

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2001, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by &lt;solidage&gt;:
<STRONG>Well i just came back from the new Apple store @ Westfarms mall (since i'm home for turkey day)
Not a bad estimate...around $350 to fix it...i think i'm gunna go for it
any more info on the wrap around sleave like things?</STRONG>
Westfarms? I live really close to there.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules