Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 powerbooks

G4 powerbooks
thejc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 06:07 PM

greetings:
i own, since march 24, 2001, a G4 powerbook which suffers from many of the known defects discussed here and on other boards....
i am curious as to how many others are in a similar situation?
perhaps if you, too, have a G4 with the known flaws and design faults you will be interested to write in here..
i have been discussing with several other G4 owners, doing something as a group to make apple more aware of its responsibilities to us and its other loyal customers....
perhaps if we band together we will make our position stronger.....and get the folks in cupertino to do t he right thing...
thanks for your time in reading this and hopefully for your response here.....
i believe there are hundreds of us who bought G4 powerbbooks that are faulty because of their design or manufacture.. we surely did not break them.....we just were stupid enough to have bought 'em and to continue to let apple mess us around....
jc

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: thejc ]

Belle
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 07:05 PM

Could you be a little more specific about the flaws and design faults which are so serious as to consider a class action suit? (Yes, I saw the earlier post).

In what way is Apple messing people around, and what do you expect them to do about it?

What are its responsibilities to its customers with regards to the PowerBook G4?

I'm not sure that there is anything that makes the PowerBook G4 any more or less flawed than any other notebook out there, whether Apple, Dell, IBM, Compaq, or whichever company you choose. The one fault which affected functionality - the misaligned CD slot - was corrected and customers with earlier machines were offered a free fix.

Now I've complained both here and elsewhere about little flaws in the PowerBook G4, but all I expect from Apple is that the next revision sees an improvement in some areas.

What else do you want?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 07:43 PM

am i the only one that dosnt suffer from ANY of these problem?
alright, MAYBE i do, my right side of the lid dosn't catch as well as the left does. Other then that, my PB has been great since I got it in July....no complaints, no flaws.

thejc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 08:28 PM

okey dokey,:
batteries that often die when the book 's position relative to the horizonal is shifted...lots of unavoidable lost data even if you back up very frequently..not to mention the loss of time waitin' for the book to reboot..
screens with indellible keypad impressions
smelly solvent burning after "fix"
squeezable book after "fixes"
screens with unavoidable keypad impressions...and the "white-out" cover-up
then customer relations that is draconian, pompous, duplicitous...
that's directly from my experience after purchase.....

you mention other computers that are flawed....i have owned three apples a 5300ce, a G3 wallstreet, and the 400 G4, all bought new, each one developed incapacitating problems within the one year and were fixed by apple at no cost...but of course, downtime...and within3-6 months of purchase....before i had two pc's both toshibas,- a 1000 and a 1600 i think...both of those made it through the year and lasted until traded-in..
i am not a computer freak, just a point and shoot user and i like what apple stands for and its less demanding learning curve...so i am not a disgruntled user, just amazed at the inappropriate stance apple has taken, nor do i know if if pc's or even one pc has a history similar to the G4's...but i might doubt it...
and how did apple mess me around...by never responding at any point in this process like they recognized this was their fault,,not mine....in my business, if i make a mistake, i make sure that customer recieves far more than he /she contracted for...its that simple, if you understand the most important asset of any business is "paying customers"...end of point
apple charged me, and others, full price for a product that was flawed in the box in ways they knew about...and BTW the c/d 'fault' you casually mention is enough in its self....
so from your post i would bet you work for apple and your 'job' is to moniter the net.....
my experience with apple's customer relations proved apple does not understand how to handle this situation...
which should have been as SOON as a customer calls with these and perhaps other 'problems' they arange for a replacement ASAP...
its cheaper then spending on "customer relations EXPERTS"....

but from the get go their approach was defensive and send it back for repair...now please what customer wants to send for repair something the JUST BOUGHT....especially a relatively expensive purchase,,.need i say more????
give them a NEW machine that for sure WORKS and a "we're sorry" and a free lollipop or whatever........ if you want to 'keep' those paying supporters.....

thejc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 08:32 PM

okey dokey,:
batteries that often die when the book 's position relative to the horizonal is shifted...lots of unavoidable lost data even if you back up very frequently..not to mention the loss of time waitin' for the book to reboot..
screens with indellible keypad impressions
smelly solvent burning after "fix"
squeezable book after "fixes"
screens with unavoidable keypad impressions...and the "white-out" cover-up
then customer relations that is draconian, pompous, duplicitous...
that's directly from my experience after purchase.....

you mention other computers that are flawed....i have owned three apples a 5300ce, a G3 wallstreet, and the 400 G4, all bought new, each one developed incapacitating problems within the one year and were fixed by apple at no cost...but of course, downtime...and within3-6 months of purchase....before i had two pc's both toshibas,- a 1000 and a 1600 i think...both of those made it through the year and lasted until traded-in..
i am not a computer freak, just a point and shoot user and i like what apple stands for and its less demanding learning curve...so i am not a disgruntled user, just amazed at the inappropriate stance apple has taken, nor do i know if if pc's or even one pc has a history similar to the G4's...but i might doubt it...
and how did apple mess me around...by never responding at any point in this process like they recognized this was their fault,,not mine....in my business, if i make a mistake, i make sure that customer recieves far more than he /she contracted for...its that simple, if you understand the most important asset of any business is "paying customers"...end of point
apple charged me, and others, full price for a product that was flawed in the box in ways they knew about...and BTW the c/d 'fault' you casually mention is enough in its self....
so from your post i would bet you work for apple and your 'job' is to moniter the net.....
my experience with apple's customer relations proved apple does not understand how to handle this situation...
which should have been as SOON as a customer calls with these and perhaps other 'problems' they arange for a replacement ASAP...
its cheaper then spending on "customer relations EXPERTS"....

but from the get go their approach was defensive and send it back for repair...now please what customer wants to send for repair something the JUST BOUGHT....especially a relatively expensive purchase,,.need i say more????
give them a NEW machine that for sure WORKS and a "we're sorry" and a free lollipop or whatever........ if you want to 'keep' those paying supporters.....

thejc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 08:37 PM

sorry for the double-post
but you mentioned class action
lawsuit not me, i was thinking
more along the lines of a march
on cupertino,
cheerS

Matsu
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 09:31 PM

thejc, you sound like a psycho just listening to you here, if I were in customer support, I'd jerk you around too

In fact I've treated just about every part time job I ever had with nothing but thinly veiled contempt. Customers like you were always an excuse to have a little fun. hehehe, What's the worst that could happen??? I could get fired! Heavens, No!!!

You must remember that these people in customer service make a pittance for the priveledge of being bored out of their minds 40+ hours per week, when you come in with an attitude you become the outlet for workplace dissatisfaction.

Belle, wow. You still here afterall??? What's this about your slot being mis-aligned?
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

<Nachohat>
Oct 4, 2001, 12:20 AM

lol, damn straigh Matsu!!

Seriously though, I've had lots of problems with my Ti as well. Check my Ti warranty claim post. No one wants to reply to it though!

Jerry Curl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2001, 08:51 PM

Content-type: text/html

Software error:

Can't open: Permission denied at /home/newforum/public_html/cgi-bin/ubb_new_topic.cgi line 380.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>thejc, you sound like a psycho just listening to you here, if I were in customer support, I'd jerk you around too

In fact I've treated just about every part time job I ever had with nothing but thinly veiled contempt. Customers like you were always an excuse to have a little fun. hehehe, What's the worst that could happen??? I could get fired! Heavens, No!!!

You must remember that these people in customer service make a pittance for the priveledge of being bored out of their minds 40+ hours per week, when you come in with an attitude you become the outlet for workplace dissatisfaction.

Belle, wow. You still here afterall??? What's this about your being mis-aligned? </STRONG>
I'm with you on this "thejc", what a jerk! If I was in CS and fielded his call he'd get the same response from me! Apple makes a damn fine product, better than the rest that's for sure. But, the thought that Apple knowingly releses a flawed product is obserd. You want to see a flawed product take a look at a Gateway or Compaq. Or for that matter go get Windows XP and see what you get. You want to talk class action lawsuit? You'll find millions who will join you in that cause. So go tell it to some one who cares because I don't!

Forum Links
Forum Rules