Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > $999 iMac this summer/fall?

$999 iMac this summer/fall?
rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2003, 12:15 AM

I suspect that now the transition to Mac OS X is nearly complete and that LCD prices are pretty low (in comparison to comparable CRTs) that Apple will finally release a $999 (LCD/new) iMac.

Once a sub-$1000 iMac is introduced (along with a $849 or $899 iBook) Apple's product strategy can be rehauled into the essentially 4 quad product map (ex. Xserve and iPod). The eMac and iMac (Classic) can be relegated to specific markets, be it education or whatever)

The big question is what is the likely configuration of a $999 iMac:

700Mhz G4 (like current $999 eMac)
15" LCD
128MB
40GB HD
Combo(?)

Will it also have a smaller slot loading form factor/size?
(The iMac base looks way too big for the 15" screen IMHO :-)

Could Apple do even better and release a even cheaper CD-ROM configuration as well? Say a $799 or $849 unit? (Those iMac Classics seem to be still selling - even only configured with CD-ROM)
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

Bob Y.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by rmendis:

Once a sub-$1000 iMac is introduced (along with a $849 or $899 iBook) Apple's product strategy can be rehauled into the essentially 4 quad product map (ex. Xserve and iPod). The eMac and iMac (Classic) can be relegated to specific markets, be it education or whatever)
I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac around Christmas. What do you think my options will be with a $1200 budget + a little extra $ for an iPod. (or iPod II as the case may be).

Bob Y.

MacMaui
Feb 27, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Bob Y.:
I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac around Christmas. What do you think my options will be with a $1200 budget + a little extra $ for an iPod. (or iPod II as the case may be).

Bob Y.
rmendis is just speculating, no one can know with any degree of certainty except perhaps Apple execs, and they ain't talkin'........ suffice to say, you'll get more for your money around x-mas than you will right now. Such is the nature of computers........

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 07:27 PM

The ePod: "New and improved iPod rebuilt for education. Comes in a black case to convert even the toughest window fans. Can be used as a recorder, camera and organizer. Also plays music! Supplies are limited call today for your pre-order!"

iMac: "Tired of bicycles in the driveway? Need a quick excuse because you flushed rover down the toilet? Well now there is a stress reliever! It's only $999 and comes with a free subscription to vibe!
Watch as your children run away crying that their new pc game won't work. Smile that you can finally finish that report that is due in 30 minutes. Boast that your computer is better on a forum just like this!"

Look for our new fall and summer line up of computer's you can wear!

MacMaui
Feb 27, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
The ePod: "New and improved iPod rebuilt for education. Comes in a black case to convert even the toughest window fans. Can be used as a recorder, camera and organizer. Also plays music! Supplies are limited call today for your pre-order!"

iMac: "Tired of bicycles in the driveway? Need a quick excuse because you flushed rover down the toilet? Well now there is a stress reliever! It's only $999 and comes with a free subscription to vibe!
Watch as your children run away crying that their new pc game won't work. Smile that you can finally finish that report that is due in 30 minutes. Boast that your computer is better on a forum just like this!"

Look for our new fall and summer line up of computer's you can wear!
Ah, nice to see we have an Apple exec on board.......

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 12:09 AM

I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac around Christmas. What do you think my options will be with a $1200 budget + a little extra...
Indeed this is only speculation.

However, most probably your choice will be between an iMac (LCD - the CRT model will have disappeared by then as will have the eMac) and an iBook.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

im_noahselby
Senior User
Feb 28, 2003, 01:33 AM

Bob Y.
"The NEW Christmas iMac Line!!! Starting at only $1,299"

15' LCD
900MHz G4
GeForce2 MX
256MB SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive

Noah

MacMaui
Feb 28, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
"The NEW Christmas iMac Line!!! Starting at only $1,299"

15' LCD
900MHz G4
GeForce2 MX
256MB SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive

Noah
Are you sure about the 900mhz? Might be 867..........

Forum Links
Forum Rules