Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New iPod design??

New iPod design??
pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 07:03 AM

Check this out..

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/aprilipods.html

Interesting...

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 08:24 AM

i'm disappointed about moving the buttons from around the scroll wheel to under the screen (if the artist rendering is correct). dock makes sense, but i hope i can still charge from an outlet adapter (included), and connect via just a firewire cable.
one post closer to five stars

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 10:43 AM

I played with the iPod in the Apple Store and I frankly didn't like the buttons around the outside of that big wheel. I don't mind this at all. However, I think I would have put the buttons in a "+" pattern where the wheel is now and added a thumbwheel on the side, like the Sony Clie. I know that's kinda blah for an Apple design, but it's very functional.

But whatever, I'm psyched about a new iPod and I think I'm finally going to take the plunge.

The dock, by the way, is overdue. This was needed a while ago. Now, if they'd make some accessories that let you dock it in your car and use it at home with your home entertainment system.

derbs
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 11:14 AM

thinksecret's down i think... Apple legal were quick there

anyone get a copy of the picture?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 11:35 AM

Weren't these the same people that publsihed plans and pictures of the iWalk pda?

I hope everyone is enjoying there iwalk now

Mike

xtal
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 01:28 PM

Arg. The ThinkSecret site has been inaccessible to me four hours. Luckily I got the lowdown about the TS info from SpyMac.

Looks interesting, although I wouldn't trust the artist's rendition just yet.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Weren't these the same people that publsihed plans and pictures of the iWalk pda?

I hope everyone is enjoying there iwalk now

Mike
No. ThinkSecret is the only credible Mac rumor site to this date.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 04:13 PM

It doesn't say anything about whether it'll have AAC support! !

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 04:23 PM

here ya go...
( Last edited by m2bored; Apr 11, 2003 at 09:20 AM. )

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Agreed.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 04:38 PM

I was thinking of spymac

Sorry

xtal
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
I was thinking of spymac
SpyMac lifted their info directly from ThinkSecret, or so they claim.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
"There has been much speculation that at least the high-end models of both product lines might include a SuperDrive with DVD-RW/CD-RW capabilities. Let us put this issue to rest: There will be no Superdrive version(s) announced. Apple is facing no "difficulties" fitting the SuperDrive into a PowerBook enclosure, as many other sites have reported. Sources firmly report Apple never tried to accommodate tray-equipped drives into these laptops and that until a slot-loading SuperDrive is abundantly available, Apple laptops will not have SuperDrives. That is not to say Apple won't update the PowerBook design when SuperDrives are added. As sure as the sun rises everyday, a PowerBook re-design is a certainty next year."

Less then a month later the superdrive Powerbooks came out.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/nov5portables.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 07:22 PM

Interesting that it notes USB 2.0 - maybe this will be a welcomed addition to the new powermacs too ?

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 08:59 PM

I actually like the new design. But seeing as how I already own the 10GB version of the iPod, I won't be buying a new one for awhile...

From Macrumors:

"For what it's worth, the ThinkSecret iPod rendering that has spawned so much discussion is indeed accurate."

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2003, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by BrettOZ:
Interesting that it notes USB 2.0 - maybe this will be a welcomed addition to the new powermacs too ?
its for the PC market I would assume
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 06:00 AM

it makes no sense that you'll now have to have a port on the bottom of the ipod to plug it in, that sounds like more hassle to me
:Shrug: idunno I think I'll stick with my 10gb
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2003, 08:33 AM

One thing they need to do it add a lug so you can attach a dummy cord - some kind of strap. I just dropped mine for the first time because the case came unhooked from my belt. It seems to be fine, but this wouldn't have happened if you could just hook a strap to the stupid thing!

donutogre
Apr 11, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
However, I think I would have put the buttons in a "+" pattern where the wheel is now and added a thumbwheel on the side, like the Sony Clie. I know that's kinda blah for an Apple design, but it's very functional.

i think the problem with a side scroll wheel is that it is difficult to navigate through a large amount of folders or songs this way. that's what people said about the side scroll wheel on the nomad zen. it just isn't as effective for zipping through large amounts of files as the large front scroll wheel is.
~nate

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by donutogre:
i think the problem with a side scroll wheel is that it is difficult to navigate through a large amount of folders or songs this way. that's what people said about the side scroll wheel on the nomad zen. it just isn't as effective for zipping through large amounts of files as the large front scroll wheel is.
Actually, that's probably a software/driver issue. Mouses have acceleration in them, right? The speed at which you move the mouse translates into longer distances for a given actually amount of movement. They could do the same thing with a scroll wheel and even make the acceleration adjustable.

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have a thumbwheel instead of that big thing. That space could be used for other things, like a larger display.

On a totally different topic, aren't these iPods a little pricey? Granted, they're very cool and pretty darn small, but some of the other hard-drive-based players are a good bit cheaper. I guess it's just typical Apple pricing - charge a little more than the market will bear. They seem to like to live just above the optimal price/volume point on the curve.

donutogre
Apr 11, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
Actually, that's probably a software/driver issue. Mouses have acceleration in them, right? The speed at which you move the mouse translates into longer distances for a given actually amount of movement. They could do the same thing with a scroll wheel and even make the acceleration adjustable.

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have a thumbwheel instead of that big thing. That space could be used for other things, like a larger display.

On a totally different topic, aren't these iPods a little pricey? Granted, they're very cool and pretty darn small, but some of the other hard-drive-based players are a good bit cheaper. I guess it's just typical Apple pricing - charge a little more than the market will bear. They seem to like to live just above the optimal price/volume point on the curve.

as far as the scroll wheel, yes they could do that. the zen has a scroll wheel like that and i've still heard that it is much much less pleasant to use than the apple version. as far as prices, i am kinda dissapointed/confused by the structure. i was imagining 10,20,40 like everyone else...10,20,30 would be ok too. but i wouldn't pay an extra 100 dollars just for 5 gigs when 200 would get me 30. although, that might be their strategy...i guaratee the 15 doesn't sell ****. everyone will either go low for the 10 or all out for the 30.
~nate

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 08:20 PM

Hmmm....

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 10:05 PM

I like the docking station.

I don't like moving the buttons. I would really have to play with one before deciding if it was worth upgrading my 5gig iPod to a new model. I would much rather have a comfortable mp3 player, and it doesnt get much more comfortable than just using my thumb to control the thing.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Forum Links
Forum Rules