Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clamshell users beware of the Panther

Clamshell users beware of the Panther
slider
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 08:18 PM

Just wanted to post what I have run into. One of my Macs is a 466 iBook. I did a clean install of Panther, which when well. Unfortunately there does not seem to be drivers on Panther for it's screen, it looks like crap. I intend to attempt a reinstall of Jaguar and then upgrade to Panther. I'll post back with my results.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:45 PM

No drivers for the screen? That doesn't make sense. Can you describe "looks like crap" in further detail? Is it just set to the wrong resolution or something?

imactheknife
Oct 25, 2003, 03:46 PM

This is possibly quite true...I tried installing retail Jag on my ibook 800...looked like crap..I needed the ibook install cd's (10.2) and it was 100% better...so I think the retail Jag cd's did not have the drivers for my ibook....thats my theory so maybe apple cut out the drivers for the ibook clamshell video in panther? would'nt be suprised...Apple is like..well time to buy a new mac hahahahaha....cheers, Mark

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 09:21 PM

An old CD not having support for newer hardware makes total sense, but that is not the case here (new CD not supporting older hardware).
Panther supports any iBook model, dating back to the original 300mhz version (assuming you have enough RAM).
Slider, can you provide any additional info on the problem you're seeing?

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
An old CD not having support for newer hardware makes total sense, but that is not the case here (new CD not supporting older hardware).
Panther supports any iBook model, dating back to the original 300mhz version (assuming you have enough RAM).
Slider, can you provide any additional info on the problem you're seeing?
Hi all, sorry it took so long to get back. Well, lets see. I attempted a clean install of Panther on my 466 iBook which has 576MB of ram. I was expecting a major boost in speed and since I was going to let a friend use this indefinately (got a new powerbook). How can I explain, "looks like crap", well, in Jaguar, the screen look as crisp as I would expect for a 600x800 screen, I never had any complains about it in Jag. After installing Panther, it had a washed out look to it, kinda blurry. I went to the monitor settings and there was no iBook setting, just RGB and I think sRGB, that's it, two options. So today, I started up from the OS 9 CD and re initialized the disk, installed up to 9.2.2, the screen looked just fine. The on to Jaguar, and the combined updater for 10.2.8, Looking really good, I have the iBook option in monitors checked, I think I got it. I go ahead and start installing Panther, install goes OK, and restarts after the second disk. That is where everything fell apart, blue screen with a pointer, that's it, I don't know what happened. I tried to restart serveral times, but all I got was a blue screen, or what appeared to be the beings of a menu bar appearing and disappearing. The whole thing was very frustrating and disappointing. I finally just did a clean install of Jaguar with all the updates and left it at that; screen looked fine. So I obviously ran into other problems

Have you guys installed on a similiar iBook? I am willing to keep trying if others have successfully installed Panther on their iBooks. Do you think my ram might not be compatiable with the new cat? I'm at a loss. My friend will be fine with Jag and what she does, but it's just a shame, and so much time on it today. ugh

powertoburn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 04:06 AM

I installed Panther on a KeyLime iBook SE with DVD and encountered no problems. The screen looks fine. The machine is definately faster and I like the faster boot up.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by powertoburn:
I installed Panther on a KeyLime iBook SE with DVD and encountered no problems. The screen looks fine. The machine is definately faster and I like the faster boot up.
Well, that is the same machine. What do you have for ram, and how did you upgrade, ie. clean install, from panther or OS 9? In your monitor control panel, do you have the iBook selection under the color tab? This sounds promising

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 12:17 PM

I had the exact problem with Jaguar on a Blueberry iBook. After a ton of troubleshooting I finally replaced the RAM. It worked perfect after that.

It would work perfect with OS9 but as soon as I installed Jag it would just site at the blue screen with the "rainbow wheel" spinning. I installed a smaller RAM module and everything worked the first time. I sent the module back for replacement. The new one worked without any problems.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 01:04 PM

I wonder if the rumored update 10.3.1 will address some of these issues.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 03:27 PM

Thank you very much from your reply. I still have the 256 module, I will try that as soon as I am near the machine again. I don't remember who the supplier was, I hope it's still on the module.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2003, 03:45 PM

i agree... I installed Panther (retail box CD) on my iBook 300 Rev. A Blueberry 544MB RAM and the screen just doesn't look right.

Hope to see 10.3.1 fixes the issue.

powertoburn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 09:36 PM

I have 320MB of ram - I did a update from MacOS 10.2.8

In my monitors control panel I still do have the 800x600 resolution - and I have iMac for colorsync profile

Everything is performing as expected.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 10:21 PM

No, under the color tab, is there a selection for iBook. Did you mean iBook, or are you infact talking about an iMac?

powertoburn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 04:44 AM

Under the color tab I see iBook highlighted and for the resolution options I have 640x480 & 800x600.

Sorry, for the typo in the previous message I meant iBook not iMac.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 06:54 PM

Thanks, I really think it's a ram thing now.

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 11:32 PM

I've been having similar problems (see my "washed out" thread in the Mac OS X forum).

I've tried clean installing and upgrading, and had similar results to slider.

(BTW, I fixed the weird black area, the blue screen with flashing menubar by booting into single user mode and deleting /Library/Preferences - I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out which pref file was the culprit).

For those who want a description of what it looks like, go into your "Universal Access" system preferences pane, and set the contrast to about half way. That gives pretty much the same look (and no my contrast setting is right down at the left).

Anyone found a solution to this yet?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 01:51 PM

slider

Check out this string on Apple's website. This is probably talking about the same problem you are having.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
slider

Check out this string on Apple's website. This is probably talking about the same problem you are having.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
Excellent! That thread actually provides a work around using Classic. I haven't tried it yet, but they claim it works, but it needs to be applied after every restart.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 09:50 PM

Well that certainly comfirms the problem. Gives me hope that Apple will give us an update.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 11:18 PM

Anybody hear any updates on this issue?

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by slider:
Anybody hear any updates on this issue?

10.3.3 takes care of it.

At least it did for me.

I just purchased a used 466 mhz G3 Graphite Clamshell Firewire Ibook..

the previous owner had installed Panther on it fresh, but the screen was blotchy and overly white.

So I installed SuperCal and calibrated the screen...which fixed the problem TEMPORARILY, but whenever I rebooted, the color sync profile reverted to the blotchy washed out look.

Did some research here, and the 10.3.3 update took care of it! Yeay!

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 08:09 PM

Hey, thanks for the update. I was wondering if any of these updates had resolved the issue. I gave my iBook to a friend in need who will take really good care of it. Anyways I am about to upgrade the HD and had planned on trying the Install again. My plan was to install the OS onto the HD and then installing it into the iBook. Anyone know if this will work? Are you able to start up from a firewire disk? If I can I should be able to update the OS via the software update, right? if this will even work.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 12:23 AM

Success! Installed 5400rpm 40GB Fujisu with 4th generation liquid bearings (??) so it's uber quiet.

I had installed the OS and updates and software before I got put the drive into the iBook via an external firewire case, and I am happy to say that once installed the iBook started up in Panther without a hitch.

The really funny part is that I too had a screw left over in the end, couldn't figure out where it went too.

That 800 x 600 really blows, I had forgotten how much until I was working on it. Never the less it's a great little Panther machine. 466Mhz,576MB ram, firewire port, Airport, and 5400rpm 40GB HD. It should serve my friend just fine for a bit.

Well, I would not recommend anyone do this upgrade, but I really enjoyed it, I geeked out for hours.

Thanks for everyone that contributed to this thread over the last 6 months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules