Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod's AAC format, could someone clear this up for me?

iPod's AAC format, could someone clear this up for me?
slider
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 06:28 AM

Hey all,

I keep seeing that AAC is "Apple's" proprietary format. Infact I guess that is the case as that is how I have seen it referenced. But I thought, and perhaps this is really where I need the clarification, that AAC belonged to Dolby, or did they just develop it? Apple says they use AAC as an open standard, as opposed to WMP, which is a proprietary standard, being, of course, Microsoft's.

So, what's the deal?

Added to original post:
Copied from Apple's Site:
Developed by the MPEG group that was instrumental in the development of audio codecs like MP3 and AC3 (also known as Dolby Digital), the AAC codec builds upon state-of-the art signal processing technology from Dolby Laboratories and brings true variable bit rate (VBR) audio encoding to QuickTime.

Copied from Dolby's Site:
New York, November 30, 2001�Dolby Laboratories demonstrates its new Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) consumer encoder at this year's 111th AES Convention, booth #124. Dolby's AAC consumer encoder, which complements its professional AAC encoder, enables AAC licensees to incorporate high-quality AAC encoding into CD-rippers, hard disk-based jukebox products, Internet-based music distribution systems, portable players, and other digital audio products for consumers.

( Last edited by slider; Jan 16, 2004 at 06:37 AM. )

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:23 PM

Apple's .m4a format is based on AAC. However, they wisely chose an extension other than all the other distributors of AAC software making it effectively incompatible with everything.

Go Apple!

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:47 PM

WinAmp 5, which is compatible with AAC, cannot read any meta data tags from m4a files ripped with iTunes

"I start fires!"

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 04:23 PM

Music purchased from the iTunes Music Store uses Apple's proprietary DRM. This Protected AAC is what leads to the confusion. It's proprietary DRM built on an open standard format.

I wrote a little rant about some guy claiming WMA is superior to AAC in my blog, it's here if you're interested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules